On-tank Right angle shutoff valve seals? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
On-tank Right angle shutoff valve seals?

How many seals are inside the right angle shutoff valves?

I snugged up the gland or packing nut, but it after awhile it starts to drip again, so I'd like to replace the seals.

Removing the nut reveals what looks like had been an o-ring. This is shaded in attached sketch. Is there another seal further up where I drew the ?

This is on a 1968 Ariens, Metal Fuel tank with Tecumseh Sno-King, but I see that B&S had similar valves, except no filter. So I assume inside they're similar.

Not mine - but similar one for sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shutoff-Valve001.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	78257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
I had the same problem, with a seemingly loose stem, but it never leaked. I
repacked it with some 1/16" teflon packing that I had laying around, and it's fine now. If you look around on line, you might find some kind of packing, it aint cheap, if not just buy the valve on your post.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
There two areas ( options} when/where this could leak. A & B below

A. In the section where your arrow points in the en-circled sketch does not require a "0" ring. When screwed in the valve in this section (top) will squeeze tightly (seat) against the walls of the body and shut the gas flow off from the tank.

B. When you open the valve, gas flows and could leak around the shaft where the nut is (bottom) unless the "0" ring or packing is not snug around the shaft. If you replace the "0" ring do not over tighten this nut, but only enough to prevent leakage. This "0" ring will wear over time and you might be able to tighten some more if it starts to leak again as the "0" ring wears.

I suspect your valve only leaks when the valve is open and leaking from around the deteriorated or missing "0" ring.
If it leaks when screwed in (shut off) then the top part or seat is pitted or has a worn grove and unit would need to be replaced .Gas could leak into carburetor. You need to disconnect line from carburetor to check.

Last edited by AL-; 02-06-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks. It looks like it is an o-ring style gland, not what looks like packing in a traditional plumbing globe valve. I just thought there might be an inner seal as well.

It did leak out of the valve when shutoff and I'll be checking the seat next. The tip looked good. Could also be dirt even though there's no obvious reason it should be. Heck, the wire screen collapsed for no apparent reason about 15 years ago. The machine would run out of power when run at full thottle - took a bit of time for me to think about why and where I ought to look. Of course I had extra time to think as I was running the machine at half throttle...
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograin View Post
Thanks. It looks like it is an o-ring style gland, not what looks like packing in a traditional plumbing globe valve. I just thought there might be an inner seal as well.

It did leak out of the valve when shutoff and I'll be checking the seat next. The tip looked good. Could also be dirt even though there's no obvious reason it should be. Heck, the wire screen collapsed for no apparent reason about 15 years ago. The machine would run out of power when run at full thottle - took a bit of time for me to think about why and where I ought to look. Of course I had extra time to think as I was running the machine at half throttle...
and my lawnmower plays tricks on me too... let's hope we can keep up with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page