LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Red face 10m6D auger won't turn

Hello,I have this awesome snowblower that weighs a billion pounds. I used it once so far this year and I think I hit a piece of ice that possibly broke the shear pins. But I was under the impression the auger would spin freely if the shear pins were broken. My auger won't spin at all.
Any ideas? Help!?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-09-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed Email linik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 109
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 687
Sounds like something is jammed in either the one of the auger rakes or the impeller. Take a CLOSE Look. I had a rock once jamming an auger rake, and just recently had a neighbor suck up a newspaper in the impeller of his machine.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
Can you see the shear bolts in the augers? Are both the tops and bottoms of the bolts present and accounted for?

I vote for something jammed up in the impeller, which would prevent both the impeller and augers from turning. Tilt the machine way back and get bring a flashlight, it's usually dark in there.

Remove the spark plug cap and check the tips of the blades first and look down the chute. If you have something jammed up in there, it's likely stuck between a blade tip and the impeller housing. Use a chunk of 2x2 or 2x4 to try and work the impeller clockwise and counter clockwise to see if you can get it to move and listen for grating sounds which will probably be your stuck thing. Don't pry too hard using the auger gear case of shafts as a fulcrum.

P.S. You should put that snowblower on a diet, should'nt weigh more than about 200ish pounds

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-08-2016 at 10:15 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 521
Thanks (Received): 687
Likes (Given): 3905
Likes (Received): 1498
Garage
to the forum Carroll

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
What happens when you engage the augers with the control? Does the engine load up and sound like it's going to stall?

If not, have you checked the auger belt?

If so, check as recommended above for a jammed impeller, seized bearings etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 19
And be careful that the auger is not full of force just awaiting your hand or arm to be in that area. That's a very dangerous situation if that auger has much torque on it! Use an old broom stick or something like that to fish or push around in there.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 01:56 AM
G_P

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
And be careful that the auger is not full of force just awaiting your hand or arm to be in that area. That's a very dangerous situation if that auger has much torque on it! Use an old broom stick or something like that to fish or push around in there.
This. Absolutely this. People have been seriously injured when they pulled out an obstruction and the augers and or impeller suddenly sprung free while their hand was in there.

You are correct in that the auger will spin freely with almost no effort if the shear pin is broken off as long as its lubricated.
I've had mine scoop up a rock that made it through the augers and then got wedged in the impeller. It actually stopped the impeller so fast that it caused the flywheel key on the motor to shear. Took me a while to find what was keeping anything from spinning, and then a bit longer to figure out why the motor wouldnt run anymore!
If all else fails and you cannot find anything stuck in there, tip the machine back so it rests on the handlebars and unscrew the drain plug on the auger gearbox and shine a light in there. Its extremely unlikely, but something may have damaged a gear and caused it to jam up.

1963 Ariens Sno Thro
197? Toro 724
post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 329
Sure sounds like something is jammed in the auger housing. Most likely would be something between the auger rakes and the housing. Second would be you broke the auger gearcase in some way and jammed it up.

The first would have been to do a very thorough inspection of the housing for something hidden and jammed in there. What I would do second is first pull the plug and remove the belt on the auger, check the belt for damage. Try turning the pulley for the auger and see if it will turn or not. The third would be pull the shear bolts and see if each section of the auger rakes will turn or not. The last is there could be something jammed in or behind the impeller or the impeller itself is damaged.

If the rakes turn with the shear bolts out, they're free. If the impeller shaft turns with the shear bolts out, it's not jammed. It's a matter of determining where the jam or damage is located. Unfortunately it's a step-by-step process to figure out where the jam is then go from there.

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 17
the toro 828 that I ran without oil had a broken snap ring in the auger gear box - figured out by seeing everything leading to the auger "moved" slightly, but didn't turn - took it apart and found the pieces
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2016, 09:36 PM
G_P

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
If nothing is jammed between the augers and bucket, or the impeller and bucket, its likely time to pull it all apart and see whats up.

Here's an exploded view and parts list of the auger, bucket assembly. (click to enlarge)

10m6D auger won't turn-scoop1.jpg

10m6D auger won't turn-scoop2.jpg

1963 Ariens Sno Thro
197? Toro 724
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in