post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 33
Impeller shape/profile

My old Sears/Murray's impeller has 4 vanes that are the same width at the shaft as they are at the perimeter. All the newer machines have vanes that are nearly zero at the shaft and full size at the perimeter. Would it be worthwhile for me to cut or sculpt them to look like the modern machines? I will be able to balance it.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
I forgot to mention that the result will go hand and hand with a longer chute.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
I don't think I would be cutting impeller blades to match newer designs. Sometimes older designs are better.

Are you blades beefed up with reinforcements welded to the bottoms, or embossed ridges stamped into them? If not, cutting them down to size without the reinforcement might lead to bending or breakage. It would also lighten the assembly, reducing the flywheel effect somewhat.

Are you putting an impeller kit in it as part of the project? They make quite a difference, especially with wet, sloppy stuff.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-16-2016 at 11:15 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Skutflut is right on! if you are going to do any improvement to the impellers it would be an impeller kit! The most impact for the least amount of money and risk.

The second thing you may want to consider is speeding up the impellar by changing the upper pulley to a larger diameter. But only do that after installing an impeller kit and you are still not satisfied with the throwing distance. Keep in mind this puts more wear and tear on your auger gears as they will be spinning faster too.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Sid: My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the "newer" design relies more on higher rpm (to act like a true "fan" creating air pressure) to "blow" snow, rather than a mechanical launcher (like a batting cage pitching/ball launcher) to "throw" snow.

Consider the difference between a slow rotating screw vs a fast rotating propeller. Take a look at a high speed household air fan or a boat propeller and you will notice that the blades are wider at the perimeter than at their attachment to the shaft.

Compare with a slow speed ceiling fan or maybe a screw which moves grain or other solid particulate where the blades are just as wide at the shaft as they are at the perimeter.

So, likely the newer impeller design will be paired with a higher rpm pulley which is powered by a higher HP motor?

In any event, I like that you are questioning this design topic. I hope you will investigate impeller design further and share your results with us all...
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
The blades are the thickness you might think for a 50 yr machine. The clearance is about 1/8'. it would always pump whet snow, came out like cow flop. I would increase the impeller speed, but i would have to lower the traction [wheel] speed by rearranging the sprockets in the drive chain, all summer jobs. Still listening.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page