Converting throttle linkage on Tecumseh HM80 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Converting throttle linkage on Tecumseh HM80

So, I've been thinking about possibly changing my throttle linkage from the style mounted up by the controls to the style that is down by the carburetor.
I recently acquired an Ariens model 924012 that was missing the carb heat box.
Most of the ones that I am finding are for the style that has the throttle control down by the carb and the turn style choke.

How important is it to have the carb heat box on and can the machine be ran without one with success in cold temps?

Here is the thread in the new members section with some pics and info that members have been helping me with(Post #16): https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...mber-co-2.html
skud007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Massachusetts and Maine
Posts: 792
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
The heater box is also the "snow" box...it keeps the elements away from the carb intake and linkage, always a good thing. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
motorhead64 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 720
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
The heater box is also the "snow" box...it keeps the elements away from the carb intake and linkage, always a good thing. MH
Motorhead is right on. As long as it is not snowing out you should be fine. Once snow or ice forms on the linkage the engine will not run right or not run at all.

Get the heat box if you can or make one from sheet metal to protect the carb linkages and air intake.
Good Luck!

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Toro-8-2-4 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
The heater box is also the "snow" box...it keeps the elements away from the carb intake and linkage, always a good thing. MH
I figured so. I may just have to modify one to fit my application if I am unable to find the right kind and don't want to mess around with converting the throttle etc.
skud007 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lowell area, MA
Posts: 3,246
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Some people have re-powered machines with Predator engines, which do not come with heat boxes.

Some have reported they work OK in winter without the box. But you can get governor linkages icing up, as well as the carb, I think. If the governor ices up, it might not be able to open the throttle properly under a heavy load. Or, even worse, it might freeze in an open-throttle position, and then over-speed the motor when the load is removed, which could blow the engine.

I would feel more comfortable with having a box around that area, if it was me. Even if you're using something "unofficial", but easy to work with. Picture multiple layers of a disposable aluminum pan, folded over, which you could cut with scissors, etc.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
RedOctobyr is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 720
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud007 View Post
I figured so. I may just have to modify one to fit my application if I am unable to find the right kind and don't want to mess around with converting the throttle etc.
Good idea if you can't get the exact box.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Toro-8-2-4 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,620
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
The heater box has been covered, but not the throttle switch so I can touch on that.

Can it be done - yes. Is it easy and quick - probably not unless you're handy and a little lucky. You need the throttle lever that mounts to the flywheel cover, the linkage for both the throttle and governor and may have to change out the throttle controls on the carb.

The simplest way to do it is look for a blown or bad engine that is the same size and has the controls you want. swap them onto yours and you're done. Check with engine shops or CL for one, I've done that and they do show up on occasion, the last one I paid something like $5 for it.

If you can't find the parts that way, you'll need the throttle control, some heavy wire like guide wire I got from Hardware Hanks that I bent the linkage out of. You'll need to have another machine available to compare your parts to including the carb levers to get them right. I've even gone so far as to buy an Oregon carb that had the right linkage to simplify the swap.

That pretty much covers it, good luck.

Paul
HCBPH is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
The heater box has been covered, but not the throttle switch so I can touch on that.

Can it be done - yes. Is it easy and quick - probably not unless you're handy and a little lucky. You need the throttle lever that mounts to the flywheel cover, the linkage for both the throttle and governor and may have to change out the throttle controls on the carb.

The simplest way to do it is look for a blown or bad engine that is the same size and has the controls you want. swap them onto yours and you're done. Check with engine shops or CL for one, I've done that and they do show up on occasion, the last one I paid something like $5 for it.

If you can't find the parts that way, you'll need the throttle control, some heavy wire like guide wire I got from Hardware Hanks that I bent the linkage out of. You'll need to have another machine available to compare your parts to including the carb levers to get them right. I've even gone so far as to buy an Oregon carb that had the right linkage to simplify the swap.

That pretty much covers it, good luck.

Paul
Thanks for the info, Paul. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new carb on that auction site since they are just a little more money than the rebuild kit, if the carb needs a rebuild. Then I would have the right throttle controls on the carb. I guess the trickest part would be knowing where to drill the holes on the side of the pull start shroud, if I didn't get a shroud that was already set up for one.
skud007 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Jackmels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ma.
Posts: 1,996
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 626
Have Throttle control and linkage available. PM if interested. Also have Air Boxes.
Jackmels is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Have Throttle control and linkage available. PM if interested. Also have Air Boxes.
Thanks for the reply. PM sent.
skud007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome