LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Impeller modification question.

I know there have been a lot of threads about the addition of a rubber wiper to the impeller. I tried searching to see if this question was asked anywhere but could not find it.

I saw a vendor who sells this kit offering a 3/8 inch rubber. The instructions were to mounted on the leading edge of the impeller blade. With the thickness of the bracket and rubber, this would make a just under half inch step on the blade. Being on the leading edge, I am wondering if this would trap a lot of snow and slush that would normally slide off the edge of the impeller blade.
Has anybody done it this way and can give me some feedback?
Thank you.
Ringwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
I use Tractor Supply Baling Belt with Very Good Results. I can't believe people will pay big money for some rubber strips and a handful of hardware.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
How thick of a rubber piece and metal bracket do you use, and you put it on the leading edge or trailing edge? Thank you
post #4 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
The idea of the rubber wiper is to close the gap between the end of the impeller blade, and the impeller housing. This gap can vary between machines, but is often over 1/2 inch. This space allows leakage, especially of wet slushy snow past the blade and reduces the distance that it will throw, and causes clogging of the chute.

The kit does improve throwing distance, and the centrifugal force of the impeller tends to keep the blades reasonably clean. Certainly no worse than without the kit, where you might find a layer of ice coating the housing after blowing wet snow. With the increased velocity, it also seems to prevent clogging of the chute.

I have heard that some people end up with some frozen snow problems which might keep the augers and impeller from spinning if the machine is left with a lot of snow in the bucket after working, but if you clear out the bucket with the tool after working, that should not be a huge problem, plus it keeps from having huge puddles in the garage or shed from melting snow. Event without the kit, frozen snow and ice can cause problems.

I put the kit in in the fall, and the few times that I have needed the machine so far this winter, it does a better job of clearing wet sloppy snow, and also seems to pump water pretty well. The gap on my machine was about 3/8" and I closed it down to about 1/16" to clear some bolt heads, and try and keep the paint on the impeller housing.

I used a reinforced rubber mudflap from a truck, and for hardware, I had to use #14 self tapping bolts and fender washers instead of the metal brackets. I used the self tapping because my impeller has reinforcing ridges stamped into the blades, and that made it difficult to use bolts, and nuts as the holes came too close to the ridges so they would not have sat flat when tightened. So far, no problems and nothing has come loose.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-24-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
How thick of a rubber piece and metal bracket do you use, and you put it on the leading edge or trailing edge? Thank you

Mine are 3/8 thick, and the go on the top surface of the impeller. Check youtube as there are several good videos showing how its done.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
TSC baling belt is probably 1/4" thick, maybe a bit more. Perforated metal strips are cheap as well. Here's an example.

post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
I know there have been a lot of threads about the addition of a rubber wiper to the impeller. I tried searching to see if this question was asked anywhere but could not find it.

I saw a vendor who sells this kit offering a 3/8 inch rubber. The instructions were to mounted on the leading edge of the impeller blade. With the thickness of the bracket and rubber, this would make a just under half inch step on the blade. Being on the leading edge, I am wondering if this would trap a lot of snow and slush that would normally slide off the edge of the impeller blade.
Has anybody done it this way and can give me some feedback?
Thank you.
Ringwood.
I hear what you are saying and with the thicker kits there is probably a little bit of snow trapped against the shoulder. In reality It's probably just a wedge of material at most and of no consequence. Centrifugal force will drive most snow up, over and past the shoulder.

Pete
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
I use Tractor Supply Baling Belt with Very Good Results. I can't believe people will pay big money for some rubber strips and a handful of hardware.
You can see that it does happen.
Perhaps you may consider selling your own kit (with baler belting) at a better price than the "rubber wipers".
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jackmels thanked for this post
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 PM
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 149
Garage
I used the sidewall of an old truck tire, cut them to fit the impeller ends. Drilled two holes near the end of each impeller blade and installed them with short bolts and washers....Did it make a difference in throwing distance, YES. Is it worth doing, YES.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148

i buy the toro s200 paddles listed above. its enough to do two or threee snowblowers usually. i haven't tried the bailer belt but i heard it works just as well. cut the rubber with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page