LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 6
Champion or Autolite?

For general all-around use in small engines - snow blowers, mowers, tractors, etc. - which do you all prefer? This is just between Champion J17LM/J19LMs and Autolite 456/458s please - I have my own opinions about other brands and #s. And before I add my 2 cents, just wanted to see what you guys think. This should be interesting - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 02:39 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
neither. i prefer an ngk br2lm in old flathead engines
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 02:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399

And I'd rather install a peanut than an Autolite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
My experience with Autolite plugs is limited to cars and trucks. I don't like them. Additionally I prefer Champions to them or Motorcraft plugs.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Only one plug to use IMHO...NGK. One of my local Toro dealers told me they were switching to NGK plugs exclusively because they have encountered too many failures with Champions and I'm going to guess they install a lot more spark plugs than I do.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #6 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I'd go Champion over the Autolite (and NGK over the Champion if you were asking).

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Bill: NGK
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
I don't think you'd see a functional difference. You won't notice the engine running any better or worse with either, all else being equal.

I've had a single instance of a Champion snapping during installation, leaving the threaded portion in the head. For that one reason I'm more apt to look elsewhere. But all plugs, even the vaunted NGK can have this happen:

Get the right heat-range, make sure the gap is right and the electrodes are in good shape, use anti-seize and torque the thing right. After that, it won't matter what plug you run. IMO.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
I concur, go with NGK. Noticeable running difference in everything from Briggs 4-cycle, Tecumseh 2 and 4-cycles and especially in Chinese OHV 4-cycles.

In car applications I prefer a regular Champion to a regular Autolite, but for Iridium plugs I will take an Autolite over a Champion. I will also use a Autolite Racing plug for supercharged/nitrous apps over anything else for durability.

Personally, In performance-car apps, I really don't like NGK plugs. There is something funky with their designs that don't do well with hot coils/perfomance ignition systems. With stock coil-on-plug or coil-packs the NGKs do really well. And the NGK iridium and platinum designs are really good in those stock applications as well.

Based on what I learned with small-engine stuff here this last year I will only use NGKs in OPE. I am a BIG stickler of picking the right heat-range though (it might not be as critcial as on car engines, but I figure the manufacturers know what they want for a particular design), so to disagree with some here, do a proper cross-reference and do not just throw in "what fits".
post #10 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Blackfin, I have NEVER seen that happen on a plug yet. Out of all failure modes I would NOT expect that.

Honestly, I have done hundreds and hundreds of plugs at this point (probably closer to thousands now that I think of it), and I have never seen that. Heck, only twice have I seen pulled threads on a car head (previous owner cross-threading ignorance) and only recently have I had the threads pull on a Briggs L-head engine (and I know the plug was torqued properly all 5 times it was replaced, so I know it is a known Briggs problem).

I would have to imagine that to shear the threaded portion off a plug you would need to torque it into an iron-head, since I can only imagine an aluminum head would pull the threads before that happens. Unless there is a more recent problem with plugs in the past 5-8 years (I have slowed down on car stuff since I bought a house).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page