LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 14
Pulley question

I have an old Hahn 524 , the pulley that drives the auger and wheels is rusted through, I can't find part anywhere Jacks small engines had it listed , I ordered it and got an email saying no longer in stock. It is 8" od with a 3/4" non keyed bore ,it attaches to spindle with a roll pin and it takes a 3/8" v belt. The closest I have found is a cast iron pulley 7-3/4" od ,with a 3/4" keyed bore with set screws to attach to spindle and it takes a 1/2" belt. I guess I could buy a pulley for the engine that is a 1/4" bigger 2-3/4" and a 1/2" belt to go with it(it is 2-1/2" for a 3/8") . My question is will I have problems going from steel to a little heavier cast iron,and changing pulley and belt sizes a little. I think using the set screws instead of roll pin won't be a problem though. Think it'll work? Thanks Kensico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
A lot of people change belts and pulleys around a little bit when putting new engines on blowers. You will probably be alright. You might be better off drilling out the set screw holes and keeping the roll pin though. I would think a pin going all the way through will hold a lot better than a screw.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kensico thanked for this post
post #3 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[QUOTE=Shryp;989946]A lot of people change belts and pulleys around a little bit when putting new engines on blowers. You will probably be alright. You might be better off drilling out the set screw holes and keeping the roll pin though. I would think a pin going all the way through will hold a lot better than a screw.[/QUOTE

Thanks I will drill out it was really hard to get the old roll pin out,lots of penetrating oil and patience.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
I'll tell you a little story that may give you some ideas.

About 25 years ago I damaged a cast iron pulley on a 100 year old metal lathe. Very odd configuration and impossible to find a replacement. I went to see my folks one time and had it in the car for a long time. Happened to be an old machine shop that worked on alot of farm equipment. I stopped by on a lark to see if he could heat, straighten it and weld it back together.
He said he couldn't because he didn't have a forge but he could make me a new one.
Turned out he had a rack of hubless pulleys and hubs without pulleys. Found the right hub and the right pulley. Pressed them together and got them straight then arc welded them together. Instant correct pulley. It wasn't as pretty as the original cast iron one but it worked and I've been using it ever since without a problem.

He told me he could make up a pulley for any piece of any brand of farm equipment just by mixing and match the right hub to the correct pulley.

Unfortunately the guy died about 10 years ago and the business was ultimately auctioned off. But before he died, I had a couple of additional pulleys for other things made. They worked right up till the time I sold them.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 5
Kensico. Let us know how that pulley worked out. Even a picture would be worth seeing. Thank
post #6 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
In Canada a store by the name of Princess Auto sells just what you need. You would choose a hub from the list and a correct pulley. The hubs and pulley attach by 3 bolts in the centre. Years ago I built garden shredders, sawdust feeders for smokers from their stock.
It's a supply place for do-it-yourself farmers that modify and improve farm machinery. They do have an online catalogue.
Search results for 'pulleys' | Princess Auto
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kensico thanked for this post
Likes toroused liked this post
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
In Canada a store by the name of Princess Auto sells just what you need. You would choose a hub from the list and a correct pulley. The hubs and pulley attach by 3 bolts in the centre. Years ago I built garden shredders, sawdust feeders for smokers from their stock.
It's a supply place for do-it-yourself farmers that modify and improve farm machinery. They do have an online catalogue.
Search results for 'pulleys' | Princess Auto
I checked out that site very cool I saw an 8" on the first page ,wish there was some place like that closer.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onjig View Post
Kensico. Let us know how that pulley worked out. Even a picture would be worth seeing. Thank
Will do, I need to order smaller pulley first
post #9 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
Not sure if you chased down the hub centre piece. I see they don't offer the 3 bolt mount anymore. Only weld type. here's the 3/4" hub you're looking for.
Search results for 'hubs' | Princess Auto
post #10 of 16 Old 03-22-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
Not sure if you chased down the hub centre piece. I see they don't offer the 3 bolt mount anymore. Only weld type. here's the 3/4" hub you're looking for.
Search results for 'hubs' | Princess Auto
Thanks, the shipping would be $18 and then I would have to pay someone to weld it so it's to pricey for me now,wish they were closer I see that they also have winter engines which I've never seen in auto stores down here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page