Stored the snowblowers and finally figured out my chonda/Predator 212cc choke issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Stored the snowblowers and finally figured out my chonda/Predator 212cc choke issue

So, with the snowblowers all done, I decided to finally say good-bye to E10 fuel and stocked up on good ol' pure 91 octane gasoline.

I cleaned out all my equipment of ethanol gas, and emptied my gas cans of 87 octane and 2-cycle mixed (I figure a gallon of 2-cycle mixed at 50:1 in a full tank of 87 octane in a Nissan Sentra can't hurt it), cleaned out my big 5 gallon tank and fixed the spout cap with a hose clamp for now (kinda strange how you cannot find caps for older Midwest cans) and headed out to pickup some "good gas".

Drive was about 18 miles one-way, not bad. Got there, one station had 87 octane non-ethanol, so I went across the street and they had 91 octane non-ethanol. I filled up with 91 octane, approx 11 gallons across three cans. I added 1oz of Seafoam for each gallon of gas.

On the way home I stopped and picked up some Amsoil Saber 2-cycle oil. I mixed it 80:1 in the smallest 2-gallon can. I also added in 2oz of Seafoam to keep it fresh. I am using that in the rebuilt HSK850 snowblower as well as my new Poulan Pro 25cc leaf blower. The HSK850 called for 50:1 and the leaf blower was spec'd for 40:1, but after talking to Amsoil I decided to run 80:1 Saber mix in both and not worry about it. I could have run 100:1, and was told that would be optimal, but I figure the extra .6oz for 2 gallons of gas was a non-issue.

So I ended up running all the equipment dry of the ethanol gas, then added in about 1/4 tank of 91 non-ethanol, started them all up, ran them for a bit to heat them up, on some I shut off the fuel valve and let them run dry (also drained the bowl on those as well), on the newer cub cadets I just shut them down. I then changed the oil on all the equipment. And with that the snowblowers are waiting for me to finish re-organizing the garage and then they will be put away. This will be the first time I put a blanket over, and tied under, my equipment for storage.

I also took care of my lawn mower (the one I had to put a thread insert into for the spark plug), pressure washer (has a Subaru engine-woot) and plate compactor (I did a big paver patio and still have a front walkway to re-lay along with fixing some mudjacked concrete, so it is a great tool to have on hand). But, as I was working on the compactor I remembered it would not run with the choke off last year (second year I owned it). So I did my gas and oil change and then fixed some slabs that didn't sit the way I wanted and it kept bugging me that it would not run with the choke off.

So, I finished everything else (including power washing the lawn mower I put away totally baked late last fall, along with power washing the concrete window sills on on the house as well), had some dinner, then headed out and pulled the carb on the 212cc chonda/Predator engine on the plate compactor.

It was pretty clean, but I still pulled the main jet and the small black idle jet. Used a small steel wire on the jets, used a can of carb cleaner on all the ports and orifices on the carb and jets and put it all back together.

Upon starting it I immediately put the choke to run from start and it idled. SUCCESS!

It still needed to warm up, but I could go from idle to full throttle and back without it dying, so it is fixed.

I also put NGK plugs in everything as part of the maintenance and have had zero issues today.

All I have left to do is to sharpen the lawn mower blades and I am set for the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
wow, quite the list of work done. nice job

any chance you want to come by my house and put away my snowblower and get my lawn mower and string trimmer ready to go? lol
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Amen! I need to get the blowers stowed away , but I am thinking about dragging them to the swap meet and see if I get any interest. I also have a nice 3 cylinder air compressor with a Honda GX engine on it to sell, along with a few mowers that didn't sell last summer. It might be that I have saturated the market over the last few years! LOL I haven't had as much luck and my storage is getting to full of machines. I need to quit bringing home the strays for awhile.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2016, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
Dennis, you must have a wife and small children as well. God those "chores" sound wonderful! I've had good luck buying new spouts for old gas cans from Amazon
post #5 of 10 Old 04-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sounds like a satisfying days work. Something you can sort of stand back, look at, and be happy about.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post

All I have left to do is to sharpen the lawn mower blades and I am set for the summer.
So what did you do in your spare time that day?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hah! Spare time... WHAT IS THAT?!?!?!?

I have been pretty busy overall here... Basically trimming back hedges properly for the first time since I bought the house in 2012... Pulling back rock "mulch" and adding in soil to bring the grade back to where it should be and putting the rock back... Fertilizing all the shrubs. Adding in soil to shrubs where the crown is exposed. Trimming neighbors shrubs that are growing over the fenceline. etc, etc etc...

Here is one interesting thing I came across today... I should probably post a new thread, but I will give it a go here first....

I ended up buying a used Ariens ST622 walk-behind string trimmer. It has a 6hp Tecumseh LEV120 engine on it.

Well, I get it, prime it, it starts on the first pull. Great. Well, without the bale pulled back and the engine under load with the trimmer head, it has something of a "miss" to it. With the bale pulled back and the engine under load there is no miss/sputter to it at all. It runs consistent and powerful.

So, the question I have is, is there a problem with the carb or coil and should I pull the carb apart and clean/rebuild it? Should I replace the coil?

I put a brand new NGK plug in it gapped properly and it made no difference the way it runs. There is no smoke out of the engine and the oil is new (SAE 30 per specs).

I just thought the no-load sputter was a thing of the 2-cycle Tecumseh engines and the 4-cycles ran solid, or is that none of the emissions non-adjustable Tecumseh carbs all have the sputter issue without load?

I have no issue tearing into the carb. It isn't a big deal at all, just that I don't want it to waste the time and effort if it isn't going to change anything. A new carb is only $27 and a new coil is $15... Again, not a big deal, but I don't want to just throw money away if there is no problem.

The only videos I can find of LEV120 engines running are those on lawn mowers, and all of them are running at full throttle and under load from the blade from the start. If I start the ST622 and have the bale pulled from the start I don't get a sputtering/miss at all either.

Any input is appreciated. If I don't get a reply here I will post this in a new thread.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob711 View Post
Dennis, you must have a wife and small children as well. God those "chores" sound wonderful! I've had good luck buying new spouts for old gas cans from Amazon
Yeah, wife, 5 kids (from 4.5 through 18 years) and my mother living with me. I am pretty busy ALL the time. I actually have to plan for days to take care of things in the garage, since I always have someone needing me to take care of other stuff ad-hoc all the time.

But, that is better than being bored and lonely... I love having the kids around and can fore-see I will "miss" the hectic-ness at some point.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
Well, I get it, prime it, it starts on the first pull. Great. Well, without the bale pulled back and the engine under load with the trimmer head, it has something of a "miss" to it. With the bale pulled back and the engine under load there is no miss/sputter to it at all. It runs consistent and powerful.......

I have a DR trimmer made in 1996 that has the Tecumseh VLV60XL flat-head on it.It has a very strange 1/2 plastic,1/2 aluminum carb on it that is totally non-adjustable.It has run exactly as you described for the 6 years or so that I've owned.It starts and runs excellent,but after warming up and with no extra load on the engine,it has a little skip/miss to it.Engage the the cutter head and the miss goes away.

I took the carb apart on mine at least twice and no amount of cleaning changed anything.It continues to run just fine otherwise.I wouldn't bother with yours until if/when it becomes a real problem.

I had a pushmower with a Tec engine,non-adjustable carb, that did the same thing.I learned to live with it-it was cheaper.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Mike C., thanks for that feedback.

After doing a ton of reading and talking to a couple of people, I have come to the same conclusion. That any of the non-adjustable carb Tecumsehs are probably going to spit a little without load. In every case where the owner has run into it, it runs great under load without fail.

I changed the oil and it was grey/silver, but I don't think they ever did the owners-manual method of heating it up and then turning it on it's side to drain the oil. I think they only used a siphon to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube, and while cold, thus the sump was full of everything. I filled it with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 High Mileage and a double-dose of seafoam. I figure it will help cleanout the bottom end and free up anything that might be sticky due to the oil that was used prior.

I have a new coil coming tomorrow. I ran half a tank through it today like that and tomorrow after I put the new coil on, I will run another half tank through it and then change the oil again.

Last edited by DennisP; 04-07-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page