post #1 of 35 Old 05-04-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Garage
Noma Drive Gear Issues

I just picked up a Noma Performance Free Flow 9hp 27in snowblower off craigslist. The drive chain is off. The former owner said the first time it fell off he took it to the shop, they fixed it, then after three uses it fell off again, back to the shop, fix, three uses fell off again. Shop then says, "it will keep doing that and to fix it cost more than it's worth."
I do not believe this and have kept my 1960 REO [it's in the photo gallery] running for years, so I believe I can figure out what's going on and plan to get into it this weekend, but...
Does anyone know anything about Noma machines, I have never heard of them before I did a basic google search this afternoon or know where to get a manual [it didn't come with one].
Any insight about what could be causing the drive chain to jump? Any insight on what to not do?
I have attached a couple pix from the listing [literally just unloaded it and jumped on here so haven't had time to take better ones]. If better pix would help let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00l0l_99NeAtfAzwk_1200x900.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	86962   Click image for larger version

Name:	00u0u_2ccYz7cvUu8_1200x900.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	86970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Should add that the engine is sound, starter, pull cord, all lines seem sound.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Pictures of the transmission area would help. Sounds like a bushing or bearing or several are worn out allowing the axle to shift off centre and causing the chain to jump off the sprocket. Sprocket may also be worn down from this side friction and the teeth may be unable to hold the sprocket on.

I would look at all the bearings on each end of the shafts in the transmission and see if they are the problem. If the sprocket teeth are worn off, then you need to replace that, which may be a part of the axle, and possibly the chain as well, if the links are worn down and there is a lot of play in the links. You know how one thing leads to another...

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 35 Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks for the insight skutflut. Once I crack it open this weekend [can't wait] I will take some pix of the drive assembly and post them.
I have been searching out a manual but have had difficulty finding anything on Noma blowers. I found a post on here regarding one [different model] but it seems he was having the same issue as I am.
Near as I have determined it is a F2794-010 but am unsure, the schematics I found of that model number seem to be in line with the machine. I really want to get my hands on some new belts [the ones currently installed look healthy but you never know] and I need shear pins, the pins were removed and replaced with machine screws and we all know what that leads to.
In any case thanks for the tips and we shall see what happens when I get it apart.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-05-2016, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That machine is made by Murray, and a google search turned up the following link which might help.

Murray st Parts Diagram Index for F2794-010.

Noma is a canadian version that was sold at Canadian Tire and probably other outlets. Belts should not be a problem. Remove the old ones and measure the outside circumference and width and you should be able to find them fairly easily. I got some belts from VBelt supply based on length and width, made with Kevlar and they fit perfectly. They were also about half the price that Sears Canada was asking, and after three weeks waiting, Sears could not fulfil the order.

When you take your photos, make them as large and hi resolution as possible,and check for good focus. Trying to eyeball alignment from small photos is tough. If you cannot upload them direct to this site, you can put them on one of the free photo sharing sites, and then put a link in here so people can link to the site with the better sized pictures. Get several angles as well so that we can see things like shafts that are not running straight and true. Close ups of sprockets will also be useful.

Work fascinates me.

Last edited by skutflut; 05-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks connecticut52 thanked for this post
post #6 of 35 Old 05-05-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks again. I found that link and others to the parts manual pages, but being a purist I feel the need to continue chasing a manual if for no other reason than to keep my manual file complete on my machines.
I will take pix and update on my progress.
Thank you again for your assistance.
post #7 of 35 Old 05-05-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
A little research and actually looking at the back of the blower would have been helpful and saved us all a lot of google time.
The model number was easily accessible at the back of the machine, in my defense my own excitement got the better of me and I believe that this is the only place where others would celebrate the step from 5.5 hp 24" to a 9 hp 27".
I attached an image of the machine [though not mine, I copped it from google, if it's yours please let me know].
Thanks skutflut for your help, it is appreciated, I will update this thread as I repair the drive if anyone's interested in the progress. I didn't see a lot specific to Noma on the boards so I will update for those like me who come across one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	87002   Click image for larger version

Name:	11faec81_noma.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	87010  
post #8 of 35 Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Took the cover off the bottom of the housing to see if I could find something obvious as to why the chain was coming off.
It appears that the shaft sprocket is out of alignment with the axle sprocket [see pic]. The axle sprocket also has a machine screw in it as opposed to a shear bolt and the parts manutal I have does not show the type of bolt that's supposed to be there. Could the bushings on either side of the axle be bad? Neither of the sprockets look bent or obviously damaged.
Any information would be helpful.
I also found a clip on the back that didn't appear to hold anything, maybe it held a tool to clear the chute at one time?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4500.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	87018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4488.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	87026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4495.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	87034  
post #9 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That bolt doesn't look like it belongs. If the sprockets don't line up, but are square to each other, the the shaft has either moved sideways, which suggests bearing or bushing, or the sprocket is in the wrong place on the shaft is unlikely if it is the correct sprocket. Your pics don't show the whole picture though, so it's hard to be more specific since I can't see all the parts. Try and post more showing shaft ends, any spacers, any angles on shafts indicating that they may not be running square to each other. Kind of need the full monty to attempt remote diagnosis.

Work fascinates me.

Last edited by skutflut; 05-08-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks connecticut52 thanked for this post
post #10 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks again skutflut.
I attached a pic showing the whole "axle" system [not sure what to call it]. Playing around with it I cannot move the "axle" that the lower, larger sprocket is attached to, if that could be an indicator of bad bushings. Was thinking it may be the bearing/retainer on the upper shaft. The upper shaft has the sprocket manufactured on to the shaft.
I am going to price the parts to see if I may as well just replace the whole works as I am going to have to remove most of it either way.
I also attached another pic of the back showing the clip I was talking about in prior post, could that have held a chute cleaner tool? "My kingdom for an owners manual!"
Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driveshaft.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	87042   Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	87050  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page