LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
New Ariens Concern

Near the end of last winter, I bought a new Compact 24. It wound up being used at most perhaps two hours. Today I finally got around to some basic maintenance. I wanted to remove the wheels & add some synthetic grease to the axels. The left wheel came right off, but the right side was a bear. First I hit the back of the tire with a rubber mallet. It barely budged. Then I took a 5' long 2X2 and pried from behind. At last I had my wife pull on the 2X2 while I beat it with the mallet. It finally came free. After I greased it up good, I was surprised how hard it went back on. Next I removed the bottom pan to clean the platter & friction disc. I thought it had a lot of debris for a new machine. I used brake cleaner on the platter [also dirty] and the rubber disk. Nothing unusual about the rest of the machine. Should I be concerned with this much dirt in a new machine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	87785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	87793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I don't think the dirt is excessive. New belts breaking in and the gears/chains meeting each other for first few times. Bet your belt cover looks pretty dirty too inside. My BIL bought a new compact 24 a few years ago from a dealer in Wisconsin and had trouble getting his wheels off after 1/2 a season of use.
I've seen Troy's/Husq's at Lowes with active rust on buckets that have never been used
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 764
I agree, looks very typical..
actually, if I saw those photos out of context I would have thought: "wow, that's a pristine snowblower interior, must be new!"

The inside of a snowblower is, and should be, a very greasy and oily place..
not *dirty* in the sense of actual dirt, which is abrasive..but dirty in the oily and greasy sense..that's normal and good.

It looks fine to me..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
I'd be more concerned with the wheel.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
Thanks so much for the replies. I am concerned about the wheel. I needed a heavy hand with the mallet to get it back on. Would it help to let the sticking wheel run unlocked? A little axel sanding next year?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. I am concerned about the wheel. I needed a heavy hand with the mallet to get it back on. Would it help to let the sticking wheel run unlocked? A little axel sanding next year?
My machine had a similar issue putting the wheel back on even after sanding the axle and wheel and cleaning the key and both keyways and applying grease after first season due to lots of rust. In my case the key is a very snug fit; but it has a very slight rounded taper on one top face that I placed on top of the slot in the axle so the wheel contacts the taper first. The wheels went on easily by hand after. Both of the keys had the slight rounded taper.

If by chance the rounded taper is placed at the bottom of the key slot in the axle (at the end closer to the machine) then putting on the wheel may cause the key to rise slightly and increase the force to push the wheel over the key.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page