Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Toro 824 Belt replacement after repower

I have a Toro 824

The 8HP Tecumseh engine threw a rod so I am replacing the engine with a 9HP Tecumseh taken from a Craftsman 9-29. I'm using a 3/4" to 1" shaft adapter which arrived in the mail today. I think the geometry of the engine is the same as the old engine (shaft height) but I haven't measured it to be certain. I'm hoping the old belts will therefore fit as-is.

I have the pulley on the engine, the engine is bolted onto the blower, the auger bucket is still bolted on to the blower.

So now I want to get the belts on and I'm having a struggle... partly because I don't have enough hands and partly because the machine is quite big and heavy.

Question: When replacing belts on a standard 824 with the original 8HP engine.... should these belts go on easily as-is with the engine and auger bucket fully bolted in place or is it normal to have to unbolt the engine to allow me to tilt it a little so that the pulley shaft will tilt and give me a bit more wiggle room and slack in the belts? I guess the other option is to unbolt the auger bucket to split the machine.

I guess I will unbolt the engine or the auger bucket anyway just to make progress, but I was wondering if that's what everyone else does. There just doesn't seem to be enough "play" in the belts with everything bolted together.

Last edited by unknown1; 08-09-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Well... unfastening the engine and tilting it made all the difference.

Luckily the engine bolts were the threaded type and did not involve reaching underneath and on top to mess with nuts and bolts.. just a straight threaded bolt.

There seemed to be little point messing with the auger bucket because that would not have loosened anything related to the drive belt. It would have made some space to fiddle but would not have actually loosened anything.

So I guess the answer is..... remove the engine bolts and tilt the engine to give more slack in the belts.

I also have a couple of other machines I will soon be re-powering.... unfortunately they have nuts and bolts holding the engine in place. So that will be a bit of a pain trying to get the bolts back in from underneath. There's just no space to get your hand past the transmission components to push the bolt up. Cross that bridge later.

Last edited by unknown1; 08-09-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2016, 06:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Normally you can just give the belt a little push while pulling the rope. When the engine turns the belt rolls on the pulley. You just have to be careful that the engine can not start and that you don't get your fingers pinched.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks unknown1 thanked for this post
post #4 of 4 Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Normally you can just give the belt a little push while pulling the rope. When the engine turns the belt rolls on the pulley. You just have to be careful that the engine can not start and that you don't get your fingers pinched.
I certainly tried that but I could not get the belts to behave.

If I threaded them around the big pulleys, there was not enough slack to persuade them to sneak onto the smaller shaft pulley. I had the spark plug removed to help the engine to rotate.. but it just wasn't working.

After at least an hour of turning the machine upside down and then back into the the normal position trying to force and finesse and coax the belts into place I just gave in and unbolted the engine to tilt it a little.

Once the engine was tilted, everything just fell right into place in seconds.
Come to think of it, that's how I got the belts off the old engine in the first place.

Maybe this 9HP replacement engine has a slightly higher shaft and maybe that was causing the belts to be uncooperative... it's hard to tell for certain.

Anyway, the belts are now on and the idler pulleys are working as they should so I'm happy. The belts are not too tight.

Loosening the engine made all the difference for me and it was very easy to do because the attachment bolts did not have any nuts to mess with.

I certainly would be tempted to do it this way if I keep the machine and if I ever have to change belts in the future.

Anyway... my 824 has now been converted into a 924.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page