Is rust like this normal for a 2 year old Ariens Snowblower? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Exclamation Is rust like this normal for a 2 year old Ariens Snowblower?

I recently purchased a used Ariens 24" that is from 2014 and noticed a lot of rust on the drive shafts and gears and was wondering if this is considered normal or did something bad happen to this unit? Given that it was only 2 years old I didn't expect there to really be any rust. The main paint on the unit looked fine but all the gearing, drive shafts and random metal pieces like the auger cap looked really rusted to me. Any opinions on this?

Wheel Axel:

Auger Rod:

Drive Belt:

Auger Cap:

Gear:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
This comment is not specific to Ariens equipment...

I'm not an expert on New Jersey climate, but I do know that some painted or chrome surfaces are very thin and in a humid environment those surfaces can develop surface rust rather quickly. Perhaps the prior owner stored it outside.
Here in Colorado, it's very dry and I have a mower that's been stored outside (on a patio) for 20+ years and still has no surface rust anywhere on it.

I bought a tractor from a dealer in PA a couple years ago and every chrome and unpainted surface had surface rust on it. It was stored under a covered enclosure, but the moist air still did a number on those unprotected surfaces.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
hhmm yeah. I wonder if this is considered bad? I'm trying to figure out if this is "ok" or did I just buy some rusted out piece of junk that's going to be in the trash soon. haha
post #4 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Your pics never showed up here. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
maybe they use a lot of salt where this snowblower was from and the owner never hosed it off. it is a problem where I live.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Your pics never showed up here. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.
hhmm thats weird. Well here's a direct link to the pictures:
plus.google.com/collection/4EW_XB
post #7 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
maybe they use a lot of salt where this snowblower was from and the owner never hosed it off. it is a problem where I live.
yeah... that's what I'm trying to figure out. Like is this something I should be thinking I got screwed on and this is all going to fall apart on me? Or is it more just common cosmetic surface rust sort of thing?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
That's just cosmetic surface rust. Likely got a head start and speeded up by the previous owner blowing snow that had salt or salt brine from the street plows. Don't be worried. If it gives you some peace of mind, you can always take some steel wool to it and then wipe it down gooooood with some good penetrating oil or even WD-40, let it sit for a day or two, then wipe any residue off and hit those areas with a few coats of primer and paint and be at peace. However, if you just leave it alone as is, wash it a few times throughout the season, let it dry gooooood, you'll be just fine.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Now that I've looked at the pictures I think the patient will survive. I've literally hosed down rusted metal with chain lube, it's usually waterproof and stick better than motor or penetrating oil. Just be careful to clean it off the friction wheel assembly. LPS products makes a number of sprays that work well too. I'm sure there's others.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I would not bother painting it. that is a lot of work to do it and have it last. Believe it or not that surface rust acts as a diffusion barrier and will slow additional rusting.

As recommended earlier, use chain lube or one of the LPS or similar products. Once or twice a year and you will be fine. One of these products will work much better than WD.......although WD-40 is better than nothing.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page