post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda hs828 light wire?

Hi guys,
So I bought a used HS828 off my neighbor, and decided to add the OEM halogen light kit to it. I am unable to find the power wire thats supposed to come off the engine though.

I did however discover that some type of wire had been torn from the right side of the engine. I can't make out the color but it's located where the electric start would be located (my machine doest have the AC starter). The cut wire is just barely protruding from a black rubber grommet on the engine case.

I'm guessing the cut wire was either for the AC starter or to plug into the light. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
Is the location of this broken wire similar to the one in this photo in the first post on this thread?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yep, the grommet is a liitle different but the location is
the same. If I can verify current is it possibe to attach more wire to it or am I looking at replacing a coil? Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
If it's the one in the photo it does look like a power lead. Nothing to do with a starter.

Haven't been in there on a Honda but on anything else once you pull the cover there is usually still a little bit of wire you should be able to connect to without having to replace a charging coil. I would solder and heat shrink it to prevent any corrosion.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, I am going to open it up today and see if there is enough of the accessory power wire left to solder or crimp to. Any recommendation for what gauge wire to use?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibcguy View Post
Thanks, I am going to open it up today and see if there is enough of the accessory power wire left to solder or crimp to. Any recommendation for what gauge wire to use?

Thanks again!
18-16 should be just fine. Be sure to seal up any crimp connectors (or better yet, solder and shrink wrap) to ensure it stays dry and won't corrode.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, I got the cover off and found something I wasnt expecting. What I assume is the accessory wire appears to be comprised of two separate wires which were crimped onto some kind of flat metal wire connector (where it had been cut flush with the cover grommet).

These wires are covered in a faded pink (guessing they were red when new) insulation. Thanks to the previous owner cutting it, these wires now extend only 3/4" from behind the flywheel, so not enough room for me to solder additional wire to. If I want to get at this wire it looks like the flywheel will have to come off, which I was hoping to avoid.

Im confused though...I've seen reference to a secondary coil for the accessory wire but don't see it in the shop manual or when looking at the machine with the cover off (?). Is this secondary coil behind the flywheel?

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Yes, the charge coil is behind the flywheel, you need to remove it. Watch some youtube videos on how to remove it, it should not be too bad to do it.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Does anyone have the parts # for the accessory coil? I think I may just replace that coil since I couldn't verify if the old one was working.

By the way, if anyone is using a harmonic balancer remover to pull the flywheel, you'll need three metric m6-1 capped bolts in a length long enough for whatever tool you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page