When to use grease and when to use anti-seize? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-24-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 10
When to use grease and when to use anti-seize?

When repairing/restoring older machines, do we have a general rule of thumb for when to use standard lithium moly grease, and when to use anti-seize compound? Obviously the anti-seize is appropriate for any threaded bolt/nut/etc where corrosion is likely. I'm talking about other metal-to-metal contact pieces. For example:

Roll pins
Drive pins
Woodruff keys
Impeller shaft (that slides into the fan)

There are lots of other things I'm sure I haven't thought of. Also, what's appropriate to oil up (u-joints?). I would love to have a general reassembly lubrication guide in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
My opinion, is never-sieze is best for nuts and bolts where the load is high that could cause galling and transfer metal. Grease, especially water proof marine type is best to prevent rust forming that would cause the parts to sieze together.
I've come to this conclusion, with 40 yrs of wrenching cars, motorcycles, quads, outboard motors, and mountain bikes.
A perfect example is grease is used to prevent rust on auger shafts, no manufacture uses or recommends anti-sieze.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Never seize works best where there is close contact between metal parts like nuts, bolts, and interference fit pieces, it only takes a thin layer, I paint it on so thin sometimes you can hardly see it. A true waterproof grease will actually cling to a surface filling in small gaps keeping out the condensation on your auger shaft and impellor shaft. Of course nothing lasts forever but these products work way better than anything we had back in the day!
post #4 of 18 Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Makes perfect sense. I suppose I'll save the never seize for threaded stuff only and grease anything else that I think can rust weld in the future. I have plenty of lithium moly laying around, anyway.

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
post #5 of 18 Old 09-26-2016, 07:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 8
Never seize on threaded items ie nuts and bolts
post #6 of 18 Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
post #7 of 18 Old 09-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Personally I use grease if two surfaces move in relation to one another. On the other hand if they don't then it's typically anti-seize. Wheels on axels, bolts, auger rakes on the auger shaft, pulleys on shafts are examples where I use anti-seize. Axel shafts going through bushings is an example of where I'd use grease.

Just my opinion.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Evinrude triple guard marine grease is a staple in my garage.

If you have brass bushings, my understanding is that they're supposed to be oiled.

For example, wheel service on my Toro involves be oiling the bushing, cleaning the axle surface with marvel mystery oil & emery cloth followed by a light coat of Triple Guard:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 18 Old 09-29-2016, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 166
Go overboard and use MARINE GRADE NON-METALLIC™ ANTI-SEIZE AND ANTI-CORROSION COMPOUND!!MARINE GRADE NON-METALLIC? Anti-Seize & Anti-Corrosion Compound. Anti-Seize Technology

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #10 of 18 Old 11-06-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Personally I use grease if two surfaces move in relation to one another. On the other hand if they don't then it's typically anti-seize. Wheels on axels, bolts, auger rakes on the auger shaft, pulleys on shafts are examples where I use anti-seize. Axel shafts going through bushings is an example of where I'd use grease.

Just my opinion.
I've given more thought to this and it sounds very reasonable that the deciding factor should be stationary versus moving-in-relation.

That said, I've been thinking about the impeller shaft where it slides into the impeller fan. That was by far the most difficult think I had to separate because of rust weld. When re-assembling, is that a no-brainer anti-seize application? It's held stationary by 2 roll pins. I worry about grease drying up in the future.

Also, what about roll pins in general? Anti seize, or grease?

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page