LKS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
fuel/maintenance questions

Hello,

This is my first time owning a snowblower and I had a couple basic questions.

1) Is it better to use 'canned' non-eth fuel like trufuel, or reg. 87 octane that has eth with a fuel treatment such as sea foam?
2) If I use trufuel or similar, should I still treat it with sea foam or stabil?
3) If the fuel is non-eth, or is treated, do I still need to run it till empty each year?
4) Do you hose off snowblowers like you do cars if the snow was treated with salt or are there areas to avoid getting 'soaked'?
5) Is there a 'warm start' procedure that I should use instead of what is in the manual if I just take a break and the engine is still warm?
6)Snowblower just arrived, looks like some oil spilled in box (small amount). If shipped in position that would cause oil to leak, any harm to engine or just top off oil before starting and don't worry about it?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKS View Post
Hello,

This is my first time owning a snowblower and I had a couple basic questions.

1) Is it better to use 'canned' non-eth fuel like trufuel, or reg. 87 octane that has eth with a fuel treatment such as sea foam?
2) If I use trufuel or similar, should I still treat it with sea foam or stabil?
3) If the fuel is non-eth, or is treated, do I still need to run it till empty each year?
4) Do you hose off snowblowers like you do cars if the snow was treated with salt or are there areas to avoid getting 'soaked'?
5) Is there a 'warm start' procedure that I should use instead of what is in the manual if I just take a break and the engine is still warm?
6)Snowblower just arrived, looks like some oil spilled in box (small amount). If shipped in position that would cause oil to leak, any harm to engine or just top off oil before starting and don't worry about it?

Thanks for your help!
USE either type of fuel just don't let it sit in the carb forever. I turn the valve off to let it run dry and kill the engine everytime. I have never used any of that stuff and I live up here in the frozen tundra. summer storage leave no gas in tank or carb. number 4 is up to you. here in the frozen tundra I hose off the brothers when I can wear speedos on the driveway. yes the engine is still warm even after a 20-30 minute beer/coffee break. check the level before starting it what is in the box is nothing to worry about. inless there is damage to the machine. MAHALO!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
some info in this thread you might find helpful...

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...um-30-sho.html
post #4 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
LKS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Powershift93 and Stromr. I don't think I have a fuel shut off valve? Craftsman 88394... so how do I run the carb dry? Would I just put in the minimum amount of fuel I think I need to clear each storm and let it run till out of fuel each time?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Quote:
Thanks Powershift93 and Stromr. I don't think I have a fuel shut off valve? Craftsman 88394... so how do I run the carb dry? Would I just put in the minimum amount of fuel I think I need to clear each storm and let it run till out of fuel each time?
What engine is on there???????

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks LKS thanked for this post
post #6 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Quote:

Using the synthetic gasolines gets $$$$. I do keep it on hand and pour it in the machines prior to putting them away at the end of the season. It's supposed to be good for 2yrs once it has been opened. In OPE that's frequently used, I can't see the need to use syn gasoline.

Sure, if you have access to E0 fuel, you'd fly with that. I'd still treat it at time of purchase.

I add a fuel stabilizer like Stabil while I'm filling my cans at the gas station. When I get back home I put a date on the fuel and what was added to it.

I'd still treat the fuel whether it's E0 or E10. Some people store their machines without fuel. I'm not in that camp.

I do rinse the machines if they appear to need it.

I guess this depends on how low the ambient temp is. My machines typically re-start for up to an hour without use of choke.

>> ALWAYS check your oil level before getting started <<

In general, I try to keep as little gasoline on hand as possible. Our tainted fuel supply supposedly starts to go south after 30 days. On the other hand, you don't want to be so low on gasoline during a big storm that you completely run out. I always treat my fuel. I always write a date on the fuel can and what additive was used. I was looking for an empty can this past weekend and found treated fuel from Jan 2016 that was never used. Not sure what I'm going to do with that.

Good luck, don't run over things with the snow blower, be safe and have some fun, LKS !!

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
If you use TruFuel you don't need to run the carb dry nor use other stabilizers.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
You just need to have a deep wallet.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
If your engine is anything like this, then I don't think you have a shut off valve either.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
LKS

Post Thanks / Like
Goblowsnow - yes, that looks like my engine.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page