LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 524 Drive Shaft Movement

Is the drive shaft and friction plate supposed to have any play? I noticed that I can move it backwards and then it slides forwards back into position. Its there a spec on the endplay of the driveshaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
There is some play needed in there for when you are double clutching through gears. a static pic really does not help me much to see if you have to much slop in there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - hard to tell. There should be about 1/8" or so of end play and slightly some for/aft wiggle, but not floppy by any means.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #4 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Posted a video on youtube but I think there is a bit more than 1/8 inch but there is no wobble.

post #5 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
there is some play but not to bad. how does it do when the machine is running that is the question I ask of thee.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Never thought of getting a video of it running cause I know I need to get a new friction wheel. The old original wheel is missing a lot of rubber and I can only adjust so that the machine goes forward or reverse. The belt kind of keeps things lined up but I figured that there has to be some spec on the amount of endplay. Other than a thick washer or spacer I really don't see how the driveshaft would keep from moving.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshernius View Post
Never thought of getting a video of it running cause I know I need to get a new friction wheel. The old original wheel is missing a lot of rubber and I can only adjust so that the machine goes forward or reverse. The belt kind of keeps things lined up but I figured that there has to be some spec on the amount of endplay. Other than a thick washer or spacer I really don't see how the driveshaft would keep from moving.
Is the new fiction wheel on there??? that is the thrust washer you are talking about. but from the looks of that vid there is nothing abnormal with the amount of play. get the new wheel on there and post a vid with it running and then we will go from there.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Nope, that's all of the original 1984 factory parts in there. I'll order that wheel I guess.

I really didn't want to piece this together cause if I have to dump a bunch of money into this it would be better off to go into a new machine.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I don't get it why are looking to fix it. if you think it is a waste of time and money better spent on some new thing.??????????????? trust me that what you have there will outlast any thing that is made today. that thing has been going since 1984. I highly doubt anything made nowdays will even see 5 years before it is ready for the scrap heap. the money and time you are putting into this 1. is far cheaper than the money you will have to pony up for something new...

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thing is, I feel if I have to spend $200+ it would be money well spent toward a newer machine with more power. I really like the idea of one of the hydro static ones with maybe 8HP or more. We don't get a lot of snow but when we do its wet and heavy with the occasional 12"+. Where can I find a new shaft spacer?

Last edited by eshernius; 10-27-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page