Snowblower Forum banner

Carb spewing gas

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HCBPH 
#1 ·
We have another 5 HP techumseh and have done lots of work to it. including the cleaning the carb.
We noticed just recently, right where the atmosphereic port is on the side and top of the carb (left of the choke) gas is peeing out of the port,
whether the engine is running or not. Obviously, it's more pronouced when the engine is off.

We haven't replace the carb kit yet as everything 'looks' spotless and the needle valve and seat 'look' equally in great shape.

We're wondering what the cause is for that leak?
The term 'atmospheric' explains what it's supposed to do as a breather for too high or too low differences in pressure.

We also saw in some of the diamgrams where there is a check ball. If it's damaged or missing that could explain things.

All that aside are we looking at a new carb body? or is there a simpler fix.

We've seen this port before many times but this is the first time we've seen it pee (if you will)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm responding to my own post.
we looked MUCH closer and found the obvious. It turns out that the float must have leaked and the float was half full of fuel.There's the problem. This is the first float we've had with a leak and most likely wont be the last. A followup post later

#3 ·
If it's a float type carb, the float could be out of adjustment and not shutting the gas off, allowing the bowl to overfill. It's gotta go somewhere, but I've rarely found one of them so out of whack that that's the cause. I'd lean toward the notion that needle isn't seating completely, shutting off the flow. It doesn't take much of an imperfection in the needle or the little rubber seat to not seal. Which brings up another possibility, the little rubber seal is gone. Darn things have shot out without my even noticing while cleaning a carb. I've always found a new kit to be a good investment.

#6 ·
Float issues

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Another one I saw was a 'plastic' float vs a metal one. I had a 5 HP Tecumseh that wouldn't run run right no matter what I tried. I'd been through the carb 3 or 4 times without success. The only difference between it and the others was this one had a plastic float instead of a metal one. I finally gave up and tried using a metal float out of another carb and it ran just fine, didn't change another thing just the float. It wasn't like the float leaked or anything, never did figure it out prior to pitching the plastic one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.