Practically New Troy Bilt 2890 drive issues - Friction wheel? Cable? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-15-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Practically New Troy Bilt 2890 drive issues - Friction wheel? Cable?

Hi everyone, new to the site. We received a sweet Troy Bilt 2890 3 stage snow blower 2 years ago for xmas. we live in the northeast so we used it a lot the first year and dont think we took it out last year. Towards the end of the first year of use it started to stop driving, it would lurch forward a foot maybe then the wheels would stop turning. I would have to find this impossible to hold position on the drive lever that was somewhere in between released and held down.

Im getting the snowblower prepared for this year and went through some basic troubleshooting including checking the cable tension by loosening the bracket at the bottom and adjusting it from max tight to max loose. Neither helped. Ive also removed the belly cover and checked the friction wheel to check the friction belt/pulley and the friction plate to make sure it wasnt greasy. The friction belt and plate were clean but I wiped them down with gasoline to be sure. Still no luck. Engine starts fine. Friction plate spins well but as soon as i pull the drive lever down it moves a foot or so then stops.

I think the cable is too tight even in the loosest position. Ive held the drive lever down while observing the engagement of the friction wheel and it appears that its so tight that its stopping the friction plate from spinning. I also suspect its too tight because if i find that sweet spot on the lever where its just engaging it will drive fine. I dont know how this would have changed all of a sudden, blower was fine in the beginning of the season then started acting up towards the end. Could something like the friction plate moved so its has less distance to come into contact with the friction wheel or vice versa? I dont see anything obviously degraded.

Any thoughts or next steps I might try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-16-2016, 02:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Here is a shot in the dark what about the belt????? otherwise post a vid of this problem that is presenting itself onto us here. because I am not schooled on that brand of blower. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 23 Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
It's possible ther may be a roll pin or setscrew that is loose or broken? Maybe even a snap ring. It sounds like something in your drive system is working intermittently.
I think this is a pic of your drive system. Look at it and check the pertinent parts.

Troy-Bilt 31AH55Q8711 - Troy-Bilt Vortex 2890 Snow Thrower (2014) Drive System Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 23 Old 11-16-2016, 07:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
+ 1 with checking the drive belt condition and proper tension before digging any deeper.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - check that the drive belt pulley bolt on the end of the motor shaft has not backed out on you too - feel the tension of the belt - it should be pretty snug when the lever is engaged and the belt should not be bottomed out. With it not running, strap the lever down, and try rolling the tires by hand as you watch what's going on with the the gears and shafts. You may spot where the trouble is......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #6 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just replaced both belts (auger and drive) and seems to be just a little better. it wasn't fully stopping any more but as soon as it felt friction from the skid plates dragging it would hesitate/slow down/ then stop. If i pivoted the machine back a little to clear the sid plates from dragging it would run fine.

I checked the drive pulley bolt and belts were in ok condition. no noticeable degradation. It still feels like the throttle lever that engages the friction plate is too tight but i have checked all that, adjusted from full tight to full loose and no difference.

Any other thoughts? How can i post a video?
post #7 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 593
Garage
have you had the belly pan off yet to see if anything is amiss there ? you can upload a vid to youtube, then copy/paste the link here.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #8 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
yes belly cover has been off for a while. Ive observed the friction wheel with the engine running. When i pull the lever the friction wheel engages and spins, then stop spinning after a couple feet of forward travel.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 593
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrClaw View Post
yes belly cover has been off for a while. Ive observed the friction wheel with the engine running. When i pull the lever the friction wheel engages and spins, then stop spinning after a couple feet of forward travel.
i need to ask......how exactly did you observe the friction wheel with the engine running ? have you cleaned the friction disk and wheel ? did you check for any "flat" spots on the wheels rubber ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #10 of 23 Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
cleaned the wheel and plate. rubber gasket on friction wheel itself look in good shape.

I observed the friction wheel in in progress by starting the blower, belly cover off and crouch down behind the machine so i could look under it, i would then reach up and engage the drive lever, it would stop moving before it got too far. I could see the friction wheel spin, engage and spin for a couple revolutions then seize up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page