Help. Simplicity 828 Snowbuster resurection - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help. Simplicity 828 Snowbuster resurection

Hi everyone,
new to the forum. I just got myself into a project. Looks like a 1980's beast of a blower. Simplicity 828 snowbuster MFG# 1690588. I got it running, replaced some worn out bearings, chains, and cleaned it up. One major problem, the previous owners wore through the skid shoes, wore the scraper blade clean off the machine. Even wore the housing down to half way through the bolt holes that hold the scraper blade on. I can fix that. Welder will be my friend. BUT I cant get a replacement scraper blade anymore. Simplicity part number# 170762 is obsolete. What should I do? Anyone know what one looks like? Is a scraper blade from another model a close match? Any pictures of a complete machine out there? I haven't found much on my dig through the internet so far. Any help would be great and appreciated!
I am thinking of ordering a 30" scraper and cut and fab to install but again I have no idea what the original looked like. How far it sticks down past the housing holes, if I make one myself it would be out of mild steel. Are original blades high carbon/hard steel? How thick? I am sorry for being clueless on this but I havent found anything on this old beast yet. I know why the last guy quit using it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 30
While I do not know what the blade on the earlier model Simplicity Snowbuster looks like, I do have a picture of the later 1980's Simplicity Model 860 scraper blade. Perhaps that can help. Additionally, the blade on this 860 is a very wide and old-style beefy blade in the mode of the old Gilson snowblowers. And, fellow forum member Spectrum has a whole site devoted to these old Gilsons, including supplying a large percentage of the now obsolete parts for these old Gilsons. In particular, he now supplies these same afore mentioned beefy type Gilson scraper blades.

Link: The Gilson Snowblower Shop Parts Department
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	92762  
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
You can easily fab your own blade.... and it might be easier than spending money on a new one only to modify it. As long as the augers aren't to bad i would just set it up so that the new skids and the bottom edge of the scraper are about even/straight when the bucket is pretty much level. You might look at making your own armor type skids...... https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...uto-steer.html

If you really wanted to go nuts you can make a scraper blade out of the same stuff: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...dpe_sheets/529

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bad69cat; 11-30-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-05-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Well you guys are right. I just made my own scraper. Work for a John Deere dealership and I was able to scavenge a nice piece from a grain head backbone. I wish I could attach some pictures. Show what all I had to fabricate. The housing got pieces to add to the skid shoe sides under the shoe mounting holes, and to the bottom of the housing so I could even add a scraper blade. The scraper sits underneath the housing I assume. I couldn't find any really good pictures of that.

I now need to paint, how do I know what color from simplicity to use? Seems like there are several depending on the years. If you go by the model number my 828 snowbuster is the latest model (highest number) they made. Anyone know what years they made these? How to tell what year I have? or do I just grab some Simplicity orange and go for it.... Any help would be great. Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page