Help choosing heavy duty snow blower for wet snow - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help choosing heavy duty snow blower for wet snow

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some help choosing a new heavy duty snow blower for abundant, heavy, wet snow. I feel like I've read every possible review and forum post out there, and the more research I do, the less I know what to do!
I live in northern southeast Alaska, where the wet, marine climate meets a subarctic climate. That means I deal with just about every possible winter condition, but predominantly very wet, heavy snow that falls 1 to 3 feet at a time, plus a variable snow/rain/freeze cycle, which means I have to get out and manage the snow ASAP when it falls. A few years back, we had over 30 feet in one season. I have a gravel driveway with a slight to moderate incline, about 200', and I clear a parking area about 24'x30', plus paths to my woodshed and outhouse.

I'm looking for a heavy duty machine that handles easily and is easy to repair--due to my remote location, whatever parts I need will have to be ordered from the lower 48 or Canada, and I will have to do my own repairs or persuade a handy friend to help me out. Likewise, I'll be ordering my machine from down south and shipping it up as freight.

I had just about decided on a Cub Cadet 3x series--either the 3x 30" Pro H (seems like a very reasonable option for a hydrostatic drive) or the 3x 30" Trac, but then I started reading about the shear pin problems, and Paul at movingsnow.com advised me that the Cubs bog down and clog up in heavy, wet snow--everything else I'd read suggested that the 3X series did great in heavy, wet snow. Does anyone have experience with this? I've wondered if the shear pin thing was more operator error, or people just expecting shear pins not to break than anything else.

I'm also looking at the Troy-Bilt Arctic Storm 30, if anyone has experience with that. My instinct is toward the Cub Cadets if I'm going for an MDT, as I believe they are heavier duty and more reliable, but the Arctic Storm seems like it's getting good reviews.

Paul advised me towards an Ariens Deluxe SHO on the grounds that they are easy to work on and handle heavy snow well, but I'm not sure I'll like the autoturn system. If I go with Ariens, I'm tempted towards the hydrostatic models--does anyone have experience with the Hydro Pros?

Is hydrostatic drive worth the extra $800-$1000 for the models I'm looking at? I've been staying away from Honda, just because they are SO much more expensive, and I've heard the 2015 and 2016 models have been having transmission problems. I know Honda has a reputation above and beyond everything else, but I'm only looking to spend up to $2500, since I have to pay for freight as well.

I'd very much appreciate some advice from people who deal with heavy, wet, abundant snow and have experience with some of these models. If there are any members in Canada, I also have the option of buying a machine in Whitehorse, but it seems like I'm dealing with different brands and models over there, so starting my research again from scratch if I go that route.

Thank you!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
IMHO the best snowblowers you can get for those conditions and that could stand the use and abuse are Honda, Professional Series Ariens or a Yamaha which will have to be purchased from Canada.
Being in US my personal available choice would be with no doubt a Honda HSS1332ATD.
If you want to stay at the 2500 budget, I'd strongly recommend looking for a new leftover Honda HS1332TA (some dealers are selling it for $2500-2600).
I don't think a Cub Cadete or a Troy-Bilt would be a good choice for you with 30' of snow winters.

If you can work on them, you can probably get a used HS1132-HS1332 for $1000-1800 depending on condition, and start saving the rest for another one as a back up (I'd want to have a back up blower being in your situation).
post #3 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I missed the part that you could buy from Canada, in that case a Yamaha YT1332 would be the best choice IMO (I know it is way out of the budget but it would be my choice).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Up where your at - I would have to agree. Looking for a good deal on a Yamaha or Honda would probably rank high. The Ariens are pretty good and a lot easier on the pocket book for sure..... I would say if you are diligent about getting out there and knocking it out as it's falling - the SHO may fit the bill pretty well. Just make sure to keep up on the maintenance on it - true for any machine, but more so when you are that reliant on it. Somebody can show you all the pointers to maintain it yourself easy enough. Keep plenty of shear pins on hand, extra belts, grease the augers regularly, check fro slop/play in augers, adjust shoes as needed, keep oil changes according to hours of use. Above and beyond that - you may need extra help. I would also base it on how available parts are to you...... if you have a dealer anywhere in the region you may want to factor that in. Good luck - and stay warm!! WELL - I guess there is the option of moving to a lower longitude!! ;>P

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, guys. I'm really hesitant to buy a pre-owned machine in this case for a number of reasons, mainly because it's a lot more difficult and I can't check out a machine in person. We have a very sparse population here, and my access to dealers is very limited. No matter what, I'm going to wind up ordering parts online, so as long as there are parts SOMEWHERE in the US or Canada, I'm more concerned about ease of maintenance than availability of parts. There is a Yamaha dealership in Whitehorse (the only place I have road access to), but I don't think they even keep snow blowers on inventory, because up there it's so dry, snow management is a different game altogether. In any case, I could order a machine through them, but I'm not likely to find any deals.

I am very diligent about knocking down the snow as it falls, having only a shovel right now! Looking at Yamahas, the only model anywhere near my budget is the YT624EJ--I suspect that might not have the power I need, and the intake specs are only 24" wide, 17" high.

So, looking at my budget and what's available to me this season, I could spend $2500 for an Ariens Hydro Pro 28", or I could get the Yamaha I just mentioned, or a Honda HSS724ATD--would those Yamaha/Honda models be enough for me?

With the Ariens, is it worth paying extra for hydrostatic drive and tracks?

Thank you!
post #6 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:33 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
snow conditions in my area are quite similar to yours.....except that 30' thing !! good advice given, but i might go in a different direction......an older ariens machine. parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, easy to work on and tough as nails. with that option, i would do the impeller mod, and strongly consider a re-power to a larger than stock engine. jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 938
Likes (Received): 1016
Garage
how about an ATV with a plow attachment? you have a lot of square footage.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, NWCove. I'm really not looking for a pre-owned machine--I have very limited access to them and would have to buy something sight unseen and then have it shipped up on a barge--that's a big gamble. I'm also really not looking to build or modify a machine, having limited time, resources, and mechanical skills. What I'm looking for is the best available new machine that can handle a lot of heavy, wet snow for around $2500. Thanks!
post #9 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Not looking for an ATV or tractor mount, either, but thanks for the suggestion. Just looking for the best new snowblower in my budget.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I would stay away from the mtd brands . I would look into the toro snow blowers and simplicity as well as well. The hydros are nice but it's another fluid to change.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page