post #11 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftguru View Post
This may be a silly question, but I donít have power in my shed and want to know if the battery dies completely in the EFI model will the unit still start? Donít want to run an extension core in ge dead of winter in order to use the blower!
I can't answer directly (don't have an EFI engine) but we do own a lawn mower with electric start. In the winter I pull the battery and put it in the basement on a battery maintainer. That works for a lead-acid battery, but if the EFI snowblower uses a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery you'll need a charger specifically for that type of battery. Don't even THINK about using a regular battery charger for a Li-ion battery or you'll start a fire.

I've been active in R/C airplanes for years and the electric ones use Li-ion batteries. Easy to use but one does need to read up on them and know what you're doing.

I looked around for what type of battery it uses (and what connector) and couldn't find that information. If it uses a Li-ion battery the "storage charge" is about 50% charge +/- 10% for longest life, one of the reasons for a special charger because the better ones will have that setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 157
They come with a charger - no need to find anything. And as far as I know, no you can't start it since the fuel pump can't run to pressurize the system prior to cranking (the battery isn't for the starter - it's for the EFI . . .). I think you can pretty easily remove the battery and charge it elsewhere worst case . . . .
post #13 of 17 Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
I bought the 30" EFI two weeks ago after I thought my 29" died. We haven't had any real snow to test it out but I was very impressed with the EFI and just over a half pull to start it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tadawson liked this post
post #14 of 17 Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 193
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 497
Likes (Received): 94
Nice write up, strangely I don't see your pictures.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #15 of 17 Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 13
IIRC my Platinum 24 EFI uses an NiMH battery. I think it's 7.2V... reminds me of the remote control car we hand when I was a kid. Alas, it will not start without battery power. You need a battery for the fuel pump and electronics. The battery is also unnecessarily hard to get to. It's stashed up under the dash.

Personally I think the battery setup could use some work, and have a few ideas for improving it. First they could build a charger/transformer into the machine and set it up so you could plug in 110VAC to start it. The current setup requires unplugging the battery from the machine to charge it. The other is they could make the battery easy to remove so you could charge it indoors. In an ideal world Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi, etc. would all use the same type of 18V Li-Ion batteries and my snowblower would too... but the tool companies make way too much $$$ ripping us off on batteries.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI
post #16 of 17 Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Great review. I just took possesion of my first ariens deluxe efi 30in snowblower and am looking at all reviews. In the users manual it does not seem too complicated. During the the summer charge it every 2 or 3 months and the machine charges the battery while using it during the winter. If you have no electricity in your shed, pull it out and plug it in with an extension cord while doing some outside work around the house.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I pickup up an Ariens Deluxe 30 EFI a few weeks ago, So easy to start and the engine runs so smooth only used it for a few minutes in a snow drift that was about 6" deep and 10' long but it has plenty of power. I liked the auto-turn steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page