First Impressions Simplicity Signature 24 inch. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
First Impressions Simplicity Signature 24 inch.

Let's start from the beginning. I'm coming off of a 1999 vintage MTD 24 inch with a 5HP Tecumseh. I thought that machine worked really well till the day I sold it a couple weeks ago. I paid $600 for it, the same model still sells for $600. I sold it for $300 almost 20 years later. It was in pristine shape.

That being said, we didn't get much snow today. we had about 8 inches, which really shouldn't pose a threat to any two stage. I have what amounts to 225 feed of sidewalk, about 36 inches wide. Lots are 75 foot I do mine, and the neighbors left and right of me.

My driveway is about 25x35 give or take.

In this kind of snow, there was really little difference between the MTD and the Simplicity. But like I said, 8 inches of fairly light / medium snow isn't and shouldn't be much of a challenge.

My biggest problem was getting used to the controls. On the MTD, go was right, throw was left. On the Simplicity it's the other way around. So I kept getting my go and throw controls mixed up. Also, the handle bars on the MTD were much further apart than on the Simplicity. Having the handle bars closer together, and the left/right thing is something I have to get used to

One last thing I found a little annoying is when the go and throw handles get locked down at the same time. I never had that, when I let the throw lever go, it stopped throwing. Something else I have to adjust to.

Last thing, the electric chute controls are the coolest thing ever on a snowblower. I had the thing going up, down, left, right, seemingly on its own. Something else I have to learn. Hands never had to leave the handlebars.

On the end of driveway pile, that had been plowed in repeatedly, the Simplicity just ate it up without missing a beat. My biggest problem is my house is the newest on the block, about 15 years old, and when the builder put in the driveway apron, he left a step, about 1.25 inches high, so the unit tends to ride up on that step.

Turning and moving the Simplicty was a lot easier. A LOT easier. It handles very easily. Doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it is.

As far as a 36 inch sidewalk, and the driveway, the MTD and Simplicity do about the same job. At the end of driveway, hands down the Simplicity. In handling, turning, etc, hands down the simplicity. When I get some heavier, harder packed snow I'll get to see the real differences. Like I said in the beginning, in 8 inches of light to medium snow, any two stage should eat that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
Good to hear you are happy with the new machine. I picked up about a ten year old Simplicity last winter. Got a great deal on it that couldnít be passed up, so I sold my 30 year old Arienís 8/24. The Simplicity is the same set up; 8hp, 24Ē cut, but it eats through everything! Itís a beast of a small machine. Like you said, there were a few things to get used to, but overall a great machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 188
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 46
I wish I could have had Simplicity as an option when looking at my recent blower purchase. They look very interesting. Shame they're not more widely sold. My only two options were Toro and Husky if I wanted to buy from a local, which I did. Went with the Toro but would have liked to been able to have the choice expanded to Ariens and Simplicity as well.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
[QUOTE=jsup;1408930In this kind of snow, there was really little difference between the MTD and the Simplicity. But like I said, 8 inches of fairly light / medium snow isn't and shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Last thing, the electric chute controls are the coolest thing ever on a snowblower. I had the thing going up, down, left, right, seemingly on its own. Something else I have to learn. Hands never had to leave the handlebars.

Turning and moving the Simplicty was a lot easier. A LOT easier. It handles very easily. Doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it is.

As far as a 36 inch sidewalk, and the driveway, the MTD and Simplicity do about the same job. At the end of driveway, hands down the Simplicity. In handling, turning, etc, hands down the simplicity. When I get some heavier, harder packed snow I'll get to see the real differences. Like I said in the beginning, in 8 inches of light to medium snow, any two stage should eat that up.[/QUOTE]

Good objective review and I agree that electric chute controls could be a game changer after hydrostatic drive.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Good objective review and I agree that electric chute controls could be a game changer after hydrostatic drive.
Well, my unit doesn't have hydrostatic drive. But... I find I use the chute control, more so than changing gears.

Just me, I'm not all concerned about the hydrostatic drive, then again, I never had one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page