Late model Simplicity / Snapper / Craftsman / Snow-Tek single stage blowers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Late model Simplicity / Snapper / Craftsman / Snow-Tek single stage blowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colored Eggs
I also notice that snow-tek made a new single stage thats simular to the older ariens 2 strokes. Wonder if anyone has any reviews on them.
Well, that machine is available under several brand names; Simplicity, Snapper, Craftsman, Snow-Tek, Stiga, Canadiana and probably some more. They may have different equipment levels (electric start, remote chute control, lights) or different body shell colors and this year B&S introduced a smaller engine on the entry level model, but basically they’re all the same.
Mine is labelled Canadiana and is the same as a Simplicity ss822ex. Bought in 2011 I had no chance to use my new toy last year due to no snow. A cold start after unboxing and a long wait afterwards…

Three weeks ago the forecast promised 4 – 6 inches of snow and I actually took a day off to not let that opportunity pass by. In the morning there were about 3.5 inches and in the evening it summed up to 5 inches. Of course I did not wait until evening and did my first run in the morning. But I cleared my neighbors’ driveways as well and there were some areas purposely left with the full amount of snow till the evening.

I ran the machine for a little bit more than two hours that day, so I don’t have any long time experience.
The 205cc B&S engine starts instantly at the touch of the starter button. The engine sound is not annoying. Louder than my previous electric blower, but that screaming electric motor was louder than expected and the snow seems to muffle the lower rumble of a 4-stroke better than the noise of the electric predecessor.

I am very pleased and impressed by the blower’s performance. The 22” clearing width made a big difference compared to the 16” of my electric one. The paddles cleared right down to the ground and removed the snow as fast as I could follow the machine. One of my neighbors has a 200’ x 10’ driveway; it took me less than 10 minutes to clear that driveway in 6 passes.

The blower is very easy to manoeuvre; the gull wing style handles are comfortable. Significantly bigger and twice the weight of my electric blower, but better handling. The 8" wheels are nice. Chute rotation is quick and easily controlled via a handle-mounted lever. The increments between the notches are not as fine as those of a Toro. Nevertheless I never had a problem to aim the snow where I wanted it. A snow blower’s chute is more of a shotgun than a sniper rifle, so not having the best scope has little meaning.

Temperatures on that morning have been at freezing point, maybe 2 or three degrees below. So the snow was neither very fluffy nor really heavy. Throwing distance was a good 20’ or so, I didn’t measure it. Temperatures in the evening were higher and there were some areas with an inch of pure slush at that time. Performance with pure slush is – as expected – much lower. It stills clears good, but you have to go fast to keep up a constant stream of slush and get some sort of throwing or you’re somehow reminded of a toothpaste tube. It never really clogged; I did not have to clear the chute.

And btw, the self-made headlight system did an excellent job in the evening. Don’t want to be without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hum very interesting! thanks for the information. I'm wondering who the maker is since all these brands seem to be buying it from one company then branding it in there name. Do you see any major parts wearing out like the paddles etc. For a while i though ariens was making these but if they are all pretty much the same with just a difference with features so I'm wondering how the quality is. I'm sure they will be easy to find parts for since so many companies are using them.

3 Ariens 522 Single Stage
Toro 3521 Repowered with a 6.5hp
Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I saw this blower from Snapper and Simplicity first and at the same time. These are still the only brands that offer all feature levels of this unit. Everyone else seems to carry only one version. Both companies are owned by B&S, so I guess these are the suspects.

With only about two hours under the belt it's difficult to say something about wear. The paddles are made from TPU and should last pretty long. After cleaning 5,000 sq ft twice they don't show any signs of wear. I don't remember where, but someone wrote about the machine going through drive belts. So I stacked up on them and have three spares at hand. But the very same was said about my electric blower and I never had a problem with its belt either.
The belt is abused as a clutch on all single stage blowers, regardless of brand. So I think the user has a lot of influence on belt life. Yes, the 4 rib poly-v belt looks wimpy. On the other hand when I compare it to the serpentine belt on my truck running a supercharger it doesn't look undersized. Only time will tell, but so far no problems at all.

Quote:
I'm sure they will be easy to find parts for since so many companies are using them.
I had the very same thought, especially important when I'm on the other side of the big pond.

The machine seems to be well made. Everything fits fine, assembly of the few parts to make it ready to run was a breeze. The scraper bar's factory adjustment was right to the point. No screws came lose within the first hours. It's not the sleekest looking single stage on the market but it does its job very well.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
you said its not one of the sleekest looking but I think its one of the nicer looking ones. you can see the engine, the add ons you made make it look like a very respectable machine. not just a shell with a handle sticking out. I know thats the norm but I like to see mechanical parts of a machine, not have them all covered up
post #5 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
I like to see mechanical parts of a machine, not have them all covered up
I totally agree, and it usually makes maintenance easier as well.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman_de View Post
I totally agree, and it usually makes maintenance easier as well.
I sort of like seeing the engine till I have to go and clean all the snow off everything. The ariens I have has the one hood on it. It takes maybe 3-5 mins to take it off but once its off you can do anything and there are no more covers to take off.

Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

post #7 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
just to see the mechanics is cool. not snow blower related but here is an example of my mower that is all open.

Last edited by td5771; 02-22-2016 at 08:56 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Cheavy_de I was looking at youtube and found a video where someone got a model like this and the handles on theirs actually moved all over the place. Does yours have a lot of give to it or is it pretty solid. Maybe the one on the video had a loose bolt.

Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

post #9 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There's nothing wrong with the handle, it is pretty solid. If the one in the video is moving noticeably I have no other explanation than a lose bolt. And the engine runs smoothly, so there are no vibrations causing the blower to spread its nuts and bolts all over the place. I checked all of them after that day and not a single one was loose.
Maybe one of the lag bolts holding the handle bars together was not properly installed (seated).

Do you have a link to that video?
post #10 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking something is loose or not in alignment.

Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page