New SB for new house (live in northern NJ, driveway = 90 feet) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
New SB for new house (live in northern NJ, driveway = 90 feet)

hey guys - 1st timer here

tried to do a search and not ask the same question for the 500th time, but could not really find answer after searching for a bit.

my question is: how big a snowblower do i need to get for my new driveway? i live in northern NJ. my new driveway is ~ 90 feet long. fits 2 cars, but by garage area it opens up a bit and def fits more than 2 car there

after a bit of research, looks like i def want a clearing width of at least 28". that right?

here are 2 models i am considering:

Ariens Deluxe 28 in. 2-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower with Auto-Turn Steering
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-D...1046/207118306

Cub Cadet - 28 in. 277 cc Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower with Electric Start and Power Steering
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...-SWE/205317324

am i on right track? need to go bigger / smaller?

thank u very much for any guidance,
TJ from New JErsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
The more I work on these things, the more I am liking Toro. What's the budget? Where in North Jersey? Bergen? Sussex?
post #3 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 400
Garage
I lean towards Simplicity and Toro, Ariens third.

For you I wouldn't go larger than 28", it starts getting bulky. 28" is fine, 26" also. I have a 22", 24", 26", 27", 29", 30", 32". I use them all until they are sold.

I'd go with the largest engine.

You should stop at 1 or 2 dealers instead of Home Depot.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 78
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 143
Being a 40 plus year Toro owner I would only recommend Toro.

You want and you need power in reserve for any condition and especially for the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER since they love to waste rock salt there just as they do in New York State.

A Toro 1428 or 1432 will not set you back that much and they have an extensive dealer network so you can obtain service and repairs when needed.

I would rather see you spend good money on a proven performer and the proven anti clog design that Toro has is worth every penny as it prevents a lot of problems.

If money is a major concern for you; the largest Toro snow Master single stage which is a personal pace machine will be well worth looking into as well.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
from a njite in the ne part of sussex county , toro. reading threads in here about ariens made with the lct engine i;d be gun shy , cub cadet? sorry no way you can get a troy bilt or craftsman and have the same machine at a lower price, just not painted yellow
than with mtd soon to become part of stanley/b&d , who knows what's in the crystal balls future , https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/reut...mtd-tools.html
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #6 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 28
I echo JLawrence08648's comment about the biggest engine possible.

For myself, my driveway isn't near as long as yours but it is a full 3 car wide and then the sidewalks. I have a 24" snowblower, but it's Simplicity's professional/commercial snowblower with an 8hp OHV.

It may take me an extra pass or 2 to get my driveway clean, however it is capable of just as much or more than most of my neighbor's lighter duty 26/28/30" models. The other thing for me, the 24" is a lot easier to get in/out of my garage (3rd stall with the boat in there) than a 28" + would be.

The other advice I'd echo is to take a look at the local dealers around for serviceability. Knock on wood, I haven't had a need to bring my machine in for anything large, however there have been a few small model specific parts that I needed I was easily able to get at the local dealer. However, if I was presented with an issue larger than I can handle, purchasing from a dealer will definitely have preference over a same manufacturer machine purchased from a big box store.

Ariens, Toro, Honda, and Simplicity all make good machines. Those would be the 4 models I'd look at if I was in your shoes as they are the local dealers around my area. Check out the different models, ask some questions, feel them out and go from there. A good machine will give you years of trouble free service (most of the time), the more economical models will give you years of service, but you may also have years of headaches. We have a Ariens ST28 Deluxe (2013 model) snowblower here at our work that I sometimes will go out on my lunch to reset my eyes from looking at #'s all day. I believe the engine is a 254cc motor (though other's may correct me) but I feel that the motor size for the blower itself is to light. I'm also shorter (5'8" on a good day) and the balance of the machine vs the one I have at home I don't like. It works, but I would feel wore out using it at home.....the last snowstorm, I did mine, the neighborhood block sidewalks and 3 other neighbors driveways to help them out and didn't feel one bit exhausted like I was wrestling the machine around....but it's all about what fits me.

Good luck into your purchase.

Steve

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup, gibbs296 liked this post
post #7 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
1st of all.....thank u for the all the feedback. this is great and super helpful for someone who is ignorant when it comes to this topic.

to answer the question, i live in northern NJ. Essex county (Verona)

as far as $ i wanted to spend, i was prepared to spend b/t $900 - $1,200

sae the Toro's that someone recommended. and they look great. but they look like they are > $2k

lastly for me, what do u guys mean by "check out some local dealers"? u mean there is a Toro or Ariens dealer near me? (am googling now)

thank u
post #8 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonnelly View Post
1st of all.....thank u for the all the feedback. this is great and super helpful for someone who is ignorant when it comes to this topic.

sae the Toro's that someone recommended. and they look great. but they look like they are > $2k

lastly for me, what do u guys mean by "check out some local dealers"? u mean there is a Toro or Ariens dealer near me? (am googling now)

thank u
Yes, if you visit the websites of toro, ariens...etc, click on the dealer link to find local dealers in the area to look at. The knowledge of their staff should be a lot better than a big box store in regards to specific machines and they will be a lot more help in finding the right machine. Again, you may pay a few dollars more from a local dealer vs big box store, but in the end.....you will receive better service and have confidence in the set up of the machine.

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
post #9 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 12
All the name brands have become reliable over the years and they all have their corks too. If you buy a new machine, break it in properly, change the oil religiously, always use fresh fuel and do the proper maintenance, it will last you.

Having said that, where we live we get a lot of different snows, including a fair share of wet heavy snow, also melting from all the salt. The key is to get a machine that will do all types and that would be a machine with a larger cc to bucket size ratio with a 14" auger/impeller. 12" auger/impeller is not going to cut it and piss you off.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonnelly View Post

thank u
nice area there, lots of toro and ariens dealers around you https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...7044&Attempt=1
and many toros in your price range
https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...alerCategories)

Last edited by 132619; 01-07-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in