Shedding light on newer machines - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtch5881 View Post
Stability,
I can't speak for the Platinum, but had the chance to use a Pro 32, and it's awesome.
3 years ago, we had about 2 feet of snow on the roofs here, higher in the valleys. The forecast showed rain in a couple of days. I grabbed my trusty Minnsnowta Roof Razor (also awesome) and my buddy grabbed his Ariens Pro 32. We cleaned 7 roofs off in 2 days. We switched off every half hour, clearing the roof and blowing away from the buildings. If you ever worked with snow that hit the ground from a roof, wow, it's dense. That Pro 32 went through it effortlessly. Some of the snow from the valleys piled up to 6 feet deep on the ground. My MTD 1032 would've got nowhere with it, while beating me up in the process. Just put the Ariens in low gear and let it chew. It never tried to ride up on the snow and the hand warmers worked so well, you could take your gloves off. To me, that is the only newer machine, that is worth every penny.
I have no doubt that the pro 32 is an excellent machine.

Just a little comparison to note;

Craft pro Ariens pro 32
Cost...................................1,550 - 1,700 .............................starting 2,500
Auger..........................................14" .....................................16"
Impeller.......................................14"-4 blade.........................14" - 3 blade
Tires..........................................16x 6.5................................16x6.5
Drift cutters....................................Y...... ..................................Y
Hand warmers................................N.......... ..............................Y
LED's............................................. 7........................................1
Auger belts.....................................1....... .................................2
Electric start...................................Y......... ...............................Y
one hand........................................Y..... ...................................Y
housing height...............................23.5......... ..........................23.5
Housing width.................................34.......... ............................32
Engine..........................................42 0cc.................................420cc Both made in China
Disk drive.......................................Y..... ....................................Y
steering......................................trig ger...................................auto
Gearbox warranty.........................5 yrs...................................5 yrs
Weight...........................................? ....................................333.6 lbs

To be fair the Ariens professional is in a different league and not apples to apples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Stability,
I can't speak for the Platinum, but had the chance to use a Pro 32, and it's awesome.
3 years ago, we had about 2 feet of snow on the roofs here, higher in the valleys. The forecast showed rain in a couple of days. I grabbed my trusty Minnsnowta Roof Razor (also awesome) and my buddy grabbed his Ariens Pro 32. We cleaned 7 roofs off in 2 days. We switched off every half hour, clearing the roof and blowing away from the buildings. If you ever worked with snow that hit the ground from a roof, wow, it's dense. That Pro 32 went through it effortlessly. Some of the snow from the valleys piled up to 6 feet deep on the ground. My MTD 1032 would've got nowhere with it, while beating me up in the process. Just put the Ariens in low gear and let it chew. It never tried to ride up on the snow and the hand warmers worked so well, you could take your gloves off. To me, that is the only newer machine, that is worth every penny.

Craft pro Ariens pro 32
Cost...................................1,550 - 1,700 .............................starting 2,500
Auger..........................................14" .....................................16"
Impeller.......................................14"-4 blade.........................14" - 3 blade
Tires..........................................16x 6.5................................16x6.5
Drift cutters....................................Y...... ..................................Y
Hand warmers................................N.......... ..............................Y
LED's............................................. 7........................................1
Auger belts.....................................1....... .................................2
Electric start...................................Y......... ...............................Y
one hand........................................Y..... ...................................Y
housing height...............................23.5......... ..........................23.5
Housing width.................................34.......... ............................32
Engine..........................................42 0cc.................................420cc Both made in China
Disk drive.......................................Y..... ....................................Y
steering......................................trig ger...................................auto
Gearbox warranty.........................5 yrs...................................5 yrs
Weight...........................................? ....................................333.6 lbs

To be fair the Ariens professional is in a different league and not apples to apples.
post #23 of 29 Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Stability,

Craft pro Ariens pro 32
Weight................per MTD TECH....396 lbs....................................333.6 lbs

I know the machine is heavy, I know the steel is thicker then others in price range, but I do question the 396 lbs rating. But I did call in on 2 separate occasions with same answer.

post #24 of 29 Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 2
Steel is not the same, softer steel might bend, harder steel might crack . Powder Coat [ IMO ] tends to trap water, and increases corrosion damage . These days, almost everything is powder coated high strength steel, which is why a thinner gauge is used. I have a ' parts ' NOMA Pro, auger bucket is rotted, if ran, scraper bar would probably fall off . The ' old ' machines had a softer, thicker gauge, rust resistant metal, treated to baked on Primer and Enamel .

Best way to judge a new snow blower, is to look at an older one, is the paint falling off in big, swollen, chips ?
post #25 of 29 Old 04-13-2019, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
What surprised me .is when I completely went over my 18 year old Yardman there was not one rust through on the whole front end.It had been completely hot dipped. Other than a little sandpaper and a wire brush it painted up beautiful. Do they still do that today,I do not want to scratch my new Ariens yet to find out .Maybe next season I will take a chip off.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 88
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
What surprised me .is when I completely went over my 18 year old Yardman there was not one rust through on the whole front end.It had been completely hot dipped. Other than a little sandpaper and a wire brush it painted up beautiful. Do they still do that today,I do not want to scratch my new Ariens yet to find out .Maybe next season I will take a chip off.
That's probably because it was made with real steel, not today's "recycled, reformed rust" that they call "steel". It was built in the final days when actual raw virgin steel was made in the USA. Not anymore, the only thing made in the steel mills in the USA today is recycled steel, thanks to the EPA.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-14-2019, 01:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 88
Likes (Received): 38
You have to do a steel comparison on a 1960's Gravely "L" model "walk behind". The 600 pound tractor with the 300 plus pound "Snow Cannon" snowblower. That steel was guaranteed for life. A little thicker and heavier than today's "super commercial" units, and the Gravely was a "homeowners" model.
Those old Gravely's would eat up and spit out the best Areins and Toro units like confetti.
You didn't need hand warmers for those beasts, you worked up a sweat manhandling them, but they were pretty easy to use. The neighbors knew when they were out working from the unique sound of them, hearing the engine roaring and lugging away and the gearbox noise along with the magneto sound. They would look down the street and see the snow flying well over the roof of a two story home across the street.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat City View Post
Steel is not the same, softer steel might bend, harder steel might crack . Powder Coat [ IMO ] tends to trap water, and increases corrosion damage . These days, almost everything is powder coated high strength steel, which is why a thinner gauge is used. I have a ' parts ' NOMA Pro, auger bucket is rotted, if ran, scraper bar would probably fall off . The ' old ' machines had a softer, thicker gauge, rust resistant metal, treated to baked on Primer and Enamel .

Best way to judge a new snow blower, is to look at an older one, is the paint falling off in big, swollen, chips ?
I completely agree. I've found some of the 5 to 15 year old Simplicity (Murray) models to be especially susceptible to peeling and bubbling paint. I've also seen similar but much less severe issues on Ariens units. I don't see many Toro units to compare. Even the most neglected Ariens from the 70's and 80's may have rust but not peeling paint or bubbling.

Obviously clearing snow off the machine after each use and storing it in a heated garage will improve the appearance but I think the cost cutting powder coating process is the main culprit.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-18-2019, 05:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 18
My 9 yr old Powder Coated Simplicity Signature Pro is constantly cracking at all the welds. I dont think they properly clean the metal before the powder coating is applied and some of the welding flux is in/on the metal at the welds. So far just by constantly touching up the cracks is preventing the bubbles from forming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page