LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 746
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 1499
Likes (Received): 1483
Garage
do you do your own maintenance? then looks like a good deal if the parts are plentiful. I'm just not a new machine kind of guy and have a cynical outlook for them

I prefer old Honda's. probably old ariens and old toros fall in the same way. that's what have read here anyways.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich_mark View Post
I'm going to replace my 24" Yard Machine (20 years old and wearing out). I live in mid Michigan and have a two-car 100' concrete driveway. We get a moderate amount of snow, so I don't need a really big machine. Any advice about the Briggs and Stratton 24" (model 1696614)?

Link: https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...d-control.html

It's on sale for $625 at a local hardware chain (about 10% less than their normal price).

I haven't found much discussion about Briggs and Stratton snow blowers here on this site, other than a few comments that B&S owns Simplicity (so there is some overlap in design and parts).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
im going to be the one to burst your bubble and tell you stay away from that machine. last season, we had one of those very similar to this one come in last year. i remember it came in because it wasnt throwing snow, ended up having a shredded drive belt and 2 broken shear pins. everything hardware wise was metric, the whole thing was put together poorly and i remember having to wait 2 1/2 months for the belt and shear pins to show up. come to find out from the parts manager the whole thing engine and all was made in china, so buyer beware
post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 69
Quote:
Nothing can wear out on a snowblower that can't be fixed and well worth it if you do it yourself, not worth repairing of a dealer/repair shop does it. China, the internet for parts and advice, and SnowblowerForum.com are our friends.
Yep, when its worn out the fix is to buy the right new or used one!

Realistically its why we buy new cars. At some point both the cost to fix and the loss of the use of machine means its at a dead end.

My Toro back in 99 reached that point. Engine was shot, chassis was falling apart. So no, it was a waste of money to fix it and I had to have it work not fail.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #14 of 14 Old 02-07-2020, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 69
I don't know B&S, but if its the right size with the right hp to do the job then I don't think you can go wrong.

As much as I love Yamaha I don't think your use profile pushes you there.

There are other machines that will do that as well, what you want is what works for you price wise, mission needs. I see nothing wrong with your choice.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page