LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Going with a Honda

After junking out my 2004 MTD snow blower and all the crap I went through with it (friction plate drive) I decided to go with a Honda HS928WA because of the Hydrostatic drive. I also looked at a Husqvarna 1830 HV, and an Ariens deluxe 28. I liked the Ariens because of the Briggs and Stratton engine, however I saw the friction plate drive as the inherent weak point. I know a lot of you guys have machines with them and like them, but to me it's a crude way to transfer power considering the kind of work a snow blower is required to do. Sorry, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em! The Husqvarna intrigued me due to it's chain/clutch drive, but I was leery of the Snow King engine built in China by LCT. In doing my research, I thought they went to great lengths to hide the fact that these engines were made in China. I went with the Honda because I've had good experience with Honda products (motorcycles) and I know people who have had exceptional luck with their engines. However in the end, it was Honda quality combined with the Hydrostatic drive that sold me, maybe in the end I'll regret it, but for now it will be the Honda. I have a driveway that's over a tenth of a mile long on a steep slope, it usually takes four or five passes to clear just the drive part. At the bottom, the drive is around thirty feet wide, and fills up fast with packed snow thrown into it by state highway trucks. I used to plow with a full sized tractor, but I quickly determined a snow blower was the most efficient, it really takes a lot out of a machine so here's hoping the Honda will hold up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1669
Likes (Received): 586
honda makes some good products and some fantastic engines. post some pic's and write a review when you get it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sounds like you've done your homework for sure. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your decision at all.

We'll look forward to your review of your new Honda as you begin to use it.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Did you go with wheels or traca?

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 329
Congrats on the blower, sounds like you did 'due dilligence' in making your decision.
Once you have a chance to test it out, please let us know how it works out. We're always interested in how machines work for people, both good and bad.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
Did you go with wheels or traca?
Ths HS928WA is a wheel model....the "W" means wheel.

The most current version includes a light, individual throttle and choke controls, taller handlebars, improved GX engine, improved skid shoes, single-part wheel, improved low pressure tires and a standard anti-icing kit

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 10
Congrats! I've heard Honda builts decent blowers and we all know they build a heck of an engine!
When I was trying to decide between the friction plate Pro 32 and hydrostatic Pro 32 nobody could answer my question of whether or not the hydrostatic required more power to operate. I knew the friction plate design was a tried and true design and seemed to be a pretty efficient way of powering the wheels. I just didn't know if hydrostatic was as efficient. I preferred to have most of the available power go to throwing the snow and not to powering the wheels. Plus, not knowing what pressures the hydro runs at I didn't know if I would ever run into a situation where the level of traction/power needed exceeded that of which the hydro was capable of providing. I ended up deciding on the friction plate model.

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 02-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have a Honda HS928WAS and I absolutely love it. It is 3 years old. I had the opportunity to use a new CUB CADET 28" - sorry I don't know the model no. Long story short, the Briggs engine runs pretty good but the throwing power is lacking. The Honda throws at least twice as far as the Cub. The Hydrostatic transmission on the Honda is superior to the Cub. Going forward to reverse is just a pull of the transmission handle. Being a wheel model it turns on a dime. Paid a premium for the Honda snowblower but if it lasts as long as my Honda Harmony - 21 years old and running strong and my Honda push mower -18 years old, it is a great value. By the way my HS928 has electric start. Skip that option because it starts easily without it.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 130
Congrats. Great choice. The Honda HS928W is a fantastic snowblower. Perfect blend of refined enginering and brute force. Your neighbors will be jealous when they see that machine firing a steady stream of 40ft rooster tails. I love my Red-Head fleet.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve

Last edited by Freezn; 03-05-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Roadbum, I just bought the same unit as you. I saw no need for the tracks or the starter. My Honda starts on the first pull without using the choke and throttle set on idle. The Honda HS928WA is the best value among the available Honda's. The extra 400 dollars for the tracks and plug-in starter are a waste for the average user. The starter would be helpful if I were 60 years old or older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in