LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
AriensPro 36” Hydro - Reviews

Anyone have some long term experience with the 36” Hydro Pro? Got mine in April this year and am looking forward to this years snow. So how’s your machine doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
Hi Kevin:
I have a Pro28 Hydro EFI that purchased last year...so only one winter of experience on it. It will take you a little while to get used to the hydro vs conventional. With my old traction wheel blower, I learned how to keep the auger turning and pop the traction handle in and out as I would creep up on the garage (Ariens handles will lock). What is different is you keep the auger turning, but push or pull the hydro lever to control not only your speed but how far you travel. Not hard to learn, just different.
Robert
post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey there,

I do like the Hydro, infinite speed adjustment is a great option. Makes those close approaches to the garage or house easy to manage.

The power of the Pro machines is nice as I’ll need to move over 100” of snow this year. Also the 36” width should save considerable time over my old Toro 20” CCR2000. That was a good machine, but the Ariens Pro 36” is a monster that should excell!

Back in the day I ran a Ariens 32” 7hp blower to make a few bucks of spending money. My Dad used the same machine for 25+ yrs after I was done with it. That unit probably had 75 yrs of good use on it between my jobs and Dads place. The Ariens was the best. When it came time to buy recently the Ariens was the only choice and the Pro models stood out in the crowd. True they weren’t cheap by any means, but the Pros were built like tanks compared to the rest. Really looking forward to the Pro 36”.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
Mine (Hydro Pro 36) is 3 years old. It's got a carb not FI. It's a fantastic machine. It will blow the snow back where it came from or across the street if you want to. 60' easy with normal snow. But, I think the motor is a little under powered for the size of the bucket. If you have slushy stuff at the end of driveway, I can bog the motor down taking a full bucket so you still need to listen to the engine and control the forward speed to adjust it accordingly. I think the factory light is junk and I added a pair of LED's. I even added a hour meter. I have 30-40 hours on it if I remember correctly. It always starts on 1 pull. Belts are original and no break downs of any kind. I put wheels on the front also. I service it once a year in the early spring (oil grease and a machine wash). It's stored in my garage year round.

The hydro I like but in neutral it's heavy to pull or push. Yes you have that lever to pull but it's still heavy to move.

I'm currently adding orange strobe lights on the bucket as I nearly get run down on my busy crazy road one or twice a year. I'll upload the video when I get all the parts in. I'm adding a battery and battery tray from older Ariens snowblower parts to do the modification. I got to keep it factory looking....

I have a silly youtube channel so browse the channel to see the lights I put on and how I wired it if you decide to add lights later. Here I am cleaning a foot+ of wet snow. It was my first time using it. I went at a fast pace into the plow pile and you can hear the motor bog down. It didn't stall. Strong machine... It was about 2 feet high at the mouth of the driveway because of the plow. It was raining hard when I cleaned the driveway.

Bob
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Northern MI here. We got 136” last year which put us at about an average year. Most of it falls as pretty light snow with an occasional heavy wet one. Generally 2-4” is the norm, but everyday it snows in Dec- mid Jan till the lakes cool down and the lake effect lessens. We still get those 18-20” blast, mostly toward spring.

Looking forward to testing the Pro 36”. With my experience with the 32”/7hp unit in the past, I got the feeling when buying the Pro 36” that HP wouldn’t be an issue seeing as the 420cc AX engine equates to about 13 hp. Of course the is some ho loss to the hydro drive, but that’s minimal.

Good to hear your machine easily handled the really heavy wet stuff. Those conditions are the true test of a blowers strength. One of the things I really like is how they put serrated auger blades on the machines these days. Those augers for sure will help with the plowing of the ice chunks, probably saves some clogging as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
In the wet stuff there is no clogging issues. It will blow water I guess if it had too. It's really a good machine. I don't add anything to the bucket to make the slush slip off. They give you a brush to clean it out but I never removed it since I owned the machine.
A year ago I had the displeasure of cleaning a pile of snow mixed with rocks some jerk plowed into my mouth of the driveway. There was large tar chunks mixed with the snow.
I went to clean it up and I was sorry to do it. The impeller inside got bent slightly on a blade or two. The machine never broke a belt or shear pin. I scratched all the inside up.
After the storm in the spring I purchased paint and repainted the scratched up areas. To keep it looking good and to keep the rust away.

It's like I never ran over rocks and tar.

You will be quite happy with your machine.

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 39
I ran a 1236 Ariens for around 28 years. It was a great machine and was working fine the day I sold it last year. It was a bit of a beast to bull around with the locked differential so I rationalized I needed a new easier to handle machine and went with a new 28 Pro rapid trak last year.* I really like the hydro tranny. We had 100 inches of snow before we headed west after New Years.(227" last year...record was 320" in the late 90s) It worked quite well. As a comparison to the old machine for snow chucking....I don't think it has any more ability than the old 1236, but I'm very happy with it. It's like buying a new car with more bells, whistles, and improvements than the old one. I went with the smaller cut because we have no southern exposure at this house and a couple driveway trips produced tire build up. The old 36, with the wider bucket tended to ride up a tad on the tire edge side. This creates more snow to clean given what's underneath edge to edge. The new rapid trak, in dig mode and hydro tranny, will peel up the car tracks if you go very slow. I'm pushing 68 and couldn't be happier with the hydro choice. I really like the OEM hand warmers too.

As a side note, I don't think there's ever been a machine that could take a full bucket of slush more than a few inches deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page