Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Either - they're equal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither - there are better options

Votes: 8 47.1%

Opinions, pls! Husq ST424T vs Honda HSS724CT

17K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Oneacer 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for comments! Which one for our 600-foot driveway (pics below)...?

Our shortlist:
  • NEW ONE, since there's a dealer 1 hour away: Ariens RapidTrak???
  • Honda HSS724CT ($3,349 CAD)
  • Husqvarna ST424T ($3,799 CAD) with EFI, for good or bad - series specs
  • NEW ONE, per suggestion below: Honda HSS1332CT ($4,999 CAD)

The Husqvarna is new this year & that comes with its own risks, but I found this .

• Honda or Husqvarna, because we want a local dealer.
  • We haven't decided if we'll go for a wider model. For now, 24" for comparison.
  • We don't have a vehicle for a blade.
  • We wouldn't use an ATV other than for snowblowing & don't want to spend that much $.
  • We're fit and willing to try a snowblower since, generally, feedback has been that it's plausible with the right machine.

Thank you, all!

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
I would stick with the long proven reliability of the Honda. I have had too many bad experiences with the LCT engines on the Husqvarna's and their EFI is new with too many bugs in it yet. Give that about 5 to 10 years till they get all of them worked out, plus trying to get parts for their engines, and the cost to repair or replace the EFI systems when they go bad, which they do fail quite frequently. Those China LCT motors are junk to begin with, we have scrapped so many of them its not funny, they aren't worth fixing, and many of the problems were from brand new, poor assembly at the factory with no quality control at all.
The Husqvarna aren't built as well as everyone thinks. With a lot of cable control mechanisms that fail turning and raising-lowering the chute and breaking the plastic parts they are made with.
I would give them a few years to see how they hold up, especially the hydro transmissions, because if they are a Hydro-Gear unit, watch out. They are very failure prone, and when the dogs wear out in them for the steering, which they do wear easily, the machine will not move forward or reverse at all, and you cant check the oil level in them, which they do need replacement and Husqvarna doesnt know that and wont tell you.
Those steering dogs are like shifting a manual transmission without using the clutch to disengage power to them when they are slipping in and out of engagement. It wears the "Dove-tail" off of them and then they wont stay engaged, they will jump out under a load.
And some of the flimsy metal they are built with will scare you
With the long driveway you have pictured I would go with something built to last and rugged like the Honda with their proven reliability.
All of the extra electrical and electronic parts will fail at some point and are nothing but headaches. Those fancy items look nice if you dont use the machine, but when they fail, you are out a lot of money for repair and out a machine because of breakdown.
You can really hear the engine struggle in the video, they are no-where near as powerful as they claim.

#3 ·
I'd stretch the budget a bit and get the Honda HSS1332CT. IMHO it's not a matter of one brand model vs another it's about getting the correct machine to get the job done, period. So unless this snowblower is a temporary solution, (in that case get the Honda for resale value), then get a better machine for the job than those 2.
Also, as long as you have found Paul's Movingsnow site you can always contact him for his opinion concerning your situation. Without fail, Paul always reply's to any comments and questions I have asked over the past 4 years.

#5 ·
Yes I would definitely go with a larger machine to get that job done quicker. He would be out there half the day with a smaller 24 inch machine vs. a 32 inch to get the job done quicker.
If you get a bigger machine, dont skimp on it, go with the proven reliability of a commercial grade machine like the Honda, those Husky's aren't built all that well/solid.
People are buying off the name "Husqvarna", thinking of the bikes built back in the 70's, and they are not built like that anymore. All their stuff is built pretty cheap and people get upset when they find out they are pretty much worthless today.
The power equipment is constantly falling apart and in need of constant repair or scrapping. Not to "Knock" them, but I would stay away from anything with the "Husqvarna" name on it that is made today.

#6 ·
I will let you know what I decide after going to my dealer and looking them both over. as my dealer sells Honda and Husky and the the snow blower mechanic is the one that does the sales and not the guys at the front (Auto Parts store) Hope a day or 2 is not to late . I am thinking a wider machine also but want to look and see first.

#7 ·
I bought a brand new HSS928 and returned it to the dealer because of the clogging issues, very disappointed in the Honda. I chose not to re-jet the carburetor and replace the chute on a brand new top dollar and supposedly top of the line snowblower, to me, that's just crazy.

After that, I purchased a Husqvarna ST324P (wheels, not tracks) "300 Series" snowblower and am very happy with the Husky, it does its job very well. 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 10 year cast iron component warranty and less than half the price of the Honda, but the Honda was a 28" tracks and the Husky a 24" wheels to be fair on pricing.

I have not seen the "400 Series" so I have no experience with those, but I do like my "300 Series".

For the area that you want to clear I would definitely go with a bigger blower.

The 324 Husky handles this "EOD" very well.

Attachments

#9 ·
I bought a brand new HSS928 and returned it ...very disappointed in the Honda...

After that, I purchased a Husqvarna ST324P (wheels, not tracks) "300 Series" snowblower and am very happy with the Husky

I would definitely go with a bigger blower.
Great feedback, thank you. It's so hard to weigh all the different opinions.

When you say 'bigger blower,' I assume that you mean wider than 24".

Thx again.

#8 ·
(Thank you, everyone! With all your help I felt I knew more than the dang sales guys! I really value your input.)

There IS an Ariens dealer an hour away...

From Paul's movingsnow.com:

> "2019 review: Honda 2-Stage Snow Blowers -
Honda HSS928ATD, Honda HSS724ATD, and Honda HSS1332ATD. Yes, the Honda 2-stage machines did not make the list and probably won’t. Yes, I know they have the Honda engine, everyone, raves about. Yes, They throw a plume of snow a long way. But, they are just too expensive for no electric start, (a $200 option), underpowered, and plug with wet snow. Plus with the older style antique track drive system they are slow. You can actually buy the Troy-Bilt Arctic Storm XP 34 Snow Thrower or Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO for half the price and have a much higher capacity, more heavy-duty snow blower. If you need a tracked machine the Ariens RapidTrak is the best choice.

Since we have a dirt/gravel/rock driveway:
> Impeller diameter, Impeller speed, the way the impeller is designed (cups or paddles), engine size, engine rpm, snow offloading, and impeller gap [all matter].

> The gap is based on the speed, and how long you want the snow blower to last. In other words a small gap (like the Honda snow blowers) will give you longer throw but if the gap is too small (like the Honda) gravel going through the machine will tear up and wear out the housing. If it’s not designed right the gravel will actually wedge into the impeller and either seize up the machine or bend the impellers. If you get it right (like the Ariens) they will throw a long ways, throw lots of snow, throw wet snow and gravel won’t wreck the machine. In fact, I’ve had baseball sized rocks in an Ariens and the way its designed they bounce back out the front.

Still considering the other but now I've written Paul about the Ariens Platinum SHO Rapidtrak 28, too.

YOU all knew this wouldn't be so simple, didn't you...

#12 · (Edited)
Yes in deed interesting, back when I bought my Toro my dealer told me about Ariens and he thought they were the best but there were no dealers in Canada with in a couple hundred miles but now that has changed seems a dealer is 2 hrs away from me. Wish I was in the market for a blower now I can go shopping....

#16 · (Edited)
I'd go with the Honda as well. It has a sensor that stops the auger if it hits a stick or a big rock instead of breaking a shear pin. No other manufacturer has this option and it really helps on a long driveway with debris. In the midst of a big snow and at the end of the driveway, you don't want to have to stop and try to figure out how to change a shear pin!

Paul does nice videos, but has limited experience with the Hondas. He does not show tests of them under real world conditions like the brands he recommends. I just see second-hand reviews about the Hondas from summer trade shows. Hondas are expensive, but they have put their money into the product. They are well-built and last for 25-30 years.

#15 · (Edited)
@Zavie I think I've decided against an Ariens primarily because the dealer is too far from us for servicing (we don't have a truck to move it so every visit we'd incur transport costs, too). If I were considering it, I'd still have reservations about the Auto Turn & would need to research it more.

Local dealer prices:
- Platinum 28 RapidTrak SHO (369cc Ariens AX engine) - $3686 CAD
- Professional 28 Hydro RapidTrak (420 cc Ariens Polar Force by Briggs & Stratton) - $4619 CAD
- Professional 32 Hydro RapidTrak (420 cc Ariens Polar Force by Briggs & Stratton) - $5049 CAD

#26 ·
I appreciate your comment because it gave me pause this morning now that we are looking at these prices (when I started this research I was thinking :icon-embarrassed: $1500, not $4000). But, we're still willing to give this a try. We can learn basics but don't have mechanical experience and adding an old truck to our mix just isn't our first choice. In a season or two, we may learn otherwise.

#24 · (Edited)
Yes, they don't make a big deal about it, but the US Honda HSS1332 has a sensor that stops the machine if there is a stick or rock or rope or newspaper in the auger. Instead of breaking a shear bolt, you just remove the object and keep working. Here's a link to Robert@Honda's explanation of the system:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...works-auger-protection-system-hss1332atd.html

"The slip sensor plate normally spins along with the driven gear, but, if the auger shaft stops turning (due to an obstruction) a lobe on the driven gear forces the plate outward, engaging a limit switch that shuts down the engine."

#28 ·
I’m no expert but man, with a driveway that size you definitely want a bigger machine! At the least a wider blower, small tractor with a blower attachment. I would say try to find a cheap used truck and plow set up. Save yourself A LOT of TIME and aggravation. But if you insist on just a walk behind blower you can't go wrong with a Honda, I have a lot of small equipment and those Honda engines always start right up and last forever. Of course if you take care of them. Good Luck!

#32 ·
Wondering if you decided yet and I'm to late to share my thoughts?

Looks like a **** of a driveway to clear, depending on the snow you get. I wish you luck!

Definately you are looking for something more commercial grade. It is a big job to clear a few feet of snow off that size of driveway, especially with hills. Tracked blower for sure. It will be a $4000+ blower. On the plus side you have an easier time narrowing it down than most.

If Yamaha available to you check them out, the 1332. Honda 1332 or 1336 are next. Those are the best. Their reputation is for reliability and performance, at a commercial level. Nothing else is really in the same class for proven quality.

My Yamaha is over 20yrs old used hard in one of the snowiest places in North America and starts every time. Honda has the same rep. Both make their own motors in Japan, not China. And the Japanese know snow, holding world record snowfalls. They make the craziest, most powerful and best performing walk behind blowers in the world. Like 40+ diesel powered monsters they should just about put seats on and drive around instead.

Ariens and Husky are next. Bit cheaper in price and quality but both have ok reps. Go big, whatever brand, like the 430T for husky.

Consider a bigger machine, like a tractor. Kubota B2650 or bigger. BX would do but take longer. Or whatever other tractor brand similar size. You'll get lots of use besides snow clearing out of it. Even with one, you will still want a blower to do walks/paths, close to buildings, etc so get one regardless. It will do you for a few winters at least, beats a shovel!

Good luck this winter!

#34 · (Edited)
Looking at the pictures, I would say that the FIRST $3000 investment needs to be in the driveway. You need to pull a ditch on the high side and culvert it to the low side so you can fix that erosion you have. The whole thing needs to be raised 6-8 inches and crowned properly and graded at least every other year. Then you need to expose as much of it as possible to daylight. I know people love the privacy of a shaded drive but that vegatation is NOT your friend in the winter, cut it down, cut it way back. I would never attempt to snowblow that. You will ruin what ever blower you choose in short order. Get a decent blower, use it around the house, pay for snow removal, after you fix the road... You are going to find out you are in way over your head if you live where it snows a lot. I plow rural driveways in the mountains during the winter, been doing it over 15 years here and previously 15 years of plowing in Minnesota. I think fixing the driveway should be first, hire a plow service second and get a blower third for around the house. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.