post #1 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Newbie question

Hi All,

I have had Ariens machines for the last 30 or so years. Problem is that I usually by older 'built like tank' models, but they seem to last ~ 10 rears at the most. My latest one is a 8-24 model from the early 80's that needs a bunch of work. Bearings, belts, etc. and although I have the tools and aptitude, I don't have the time, right now.

Soooo, I have been looking at newer models - generally staying with Ariens, I would consider Toro, but know even less about them.

I saw that the Tecumseh motors are no longer made, which made me consider B&S - how important is that? Then I saw that SOME of the B&S motors are made in China.

I have seen the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO models - but I was wondering if I should stay with the Professional line. I don't want to buy another one of these at least for a very long time.

We live in the Northeast - which has been know to get a little snow, and we have a plow guy, but there is a lot of 'touch up' - sometimes quite a lot...

I also think that 28" is as wide as I want to go

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Ray
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City thanked for this post
Likes Fat City liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
I think it was 2003-04 when Techumseh folded and was moved to China as LCT. All the snowblowers since then, except Honda, have engines made in China. The rest of the Ariens is made and assembled in Wisconsin. I have one of the last all American blowers from Ariens/Techumseh. I think the 28 SHO is a fine machine and fits the bill for your use. You probably do not need to stay in the Pro line. Just do not venture into the base line up, some of those might be a bit underpowered.

Ariens 1027le
Meyer 8' Stainless Lot Pro fitted to 2012 F250
17 Arctic Cat Mtn Cat, for the day after
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 8
Is that one of the models that requires you to add a steel bar to the front to get it to stop riding up over the snow? I own an old Ariens and always thought of the company as solid. I read recently in Consumer Reports that their reliability is not so great. Then I started reading this forum and I find that the machines have problems right from the get go. A major balance problem that requires owners to purchase or make their own 15 lb weight and bolt it to the top of the Bucket????????? That sounds like a class action suit to me. If it needs an extra hunk of steel bolted on to work properly, then it should be done at the factory. They could make up a fancy name for it like Digger Bar or Snow Intake Accelerator or maybe even "We screwed up and knew you wouldn't mind bolting scrap onto your new, expensive, dud bar." I would be getting a free one for sure if my machine needed it to work properly. Also I found that you shouldn't pay the extra $500 for EFI, at least if you want to remove snow reliably. I also hear that the power steering is twitchy and that's why the axle was moved forward in the first place. Now they tell us that we have to add a steel bar to the hood because moving the axle caused an imbalance in the machine and now it rides up over the snow instead of scraping it all up. I have also looked at an engine called the SHO. I don't expect that one to last very long. Many of their machines seem underpowered and that's okay unless you get major dumps of 1'-2' now and then. At that time you would love to have way more power than the 15 ft lbs that the so called "Super High Output" engine delivers. What's going on here, are people warning us about this nonsense? If I were you I would investigate deeply and they pray loudly when buying a snowblower these days. All the old saws are either dead or dying. It's a brave new world out there and if were not careful, we will be getting even crappier stuff from China as we do the testing and troubleshooting that the companies haven't done. Early adopter? I don't think so...
post #4 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
vstorm: what would you recommend then?

Ray
post #5 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I would start here https://movingsnow.com/2016/buying-a...for-the-truth/

Then I would go here for features, performance, reliability and satisfaction data https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...snow%20blowers

The first will help you to decide exactly what you need and the second will guide you through the maze out there. Good Luck, I'm in this boat with you. I've made up my mind but I don't want to influence your decision. The CR site above will give you info from polls of 17,000 snow blower users from the last two years. It may cost you money if your not already a member but the price of membership is well worth it if you routinely purchase big ticket or just about any household item.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks vstorm:

I have very mixed feelings about CR. Their car reliability data is great, their opinions are well, just opinions...

I *think* I am looking for a 10hp 24-28" model, that is not from the local big-box store, prefer commercial grade. Trouble is finding that one...

Ray
post #7 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
All opinions are just opinions. CR's reliability data is great. Where else can you get that much data from concerned consumers? I find their ratings and reliability data very helpful during research and purchase of big ticket items for the Ponderosa, including vehicles. My son picked up an Ariens Pro 28" for $1500 new from a local dealer. That was the deal of the century for him and shows that miracles still do occur. I tried it at his house and liked it. I brought it home and it wandered all over my gravel driveway. The dealer came out and tried to adjust it and in the end told me that it wasn't for my type of drive which is very common here in the NH woods. Ok so it's my son's and he's happy and I'll get something else.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 203
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 741
Ray...If you are near Lakeville Ma....I've got the newest cleanest ST 824 you've ever seen if you want a near new Ariens for cheap...can't have but a few hours on it...I'm guessing an 03 or 04...and I'll give you something for the old blower....Can't beat the 924 series in my opinion.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Keep in mind that Consumer Reports generates data on snowblower performance by using wet sawdust, not snow. Same thing, right?.....Not so much.

I used to have great respect for Consumer Reports, now I look elsewhere for snowblower discussions/evaluations.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #10 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 10:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 177
Ariens is still one of the big 3 snowblower manufacturers with toro and honda.

They are making blowers with more features and technology now because that is what consumers want. It also comes with bugs that need worked out.

Sorry they arent making simplistic tanks like they used to any more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS621 GX160
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
....Honda HS624 GX160
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2, Fat City liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page