2015 Ariens Deluxe 28 - Second Impressions - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 90
2015 Ariens Deluxe 28 - Second Impressions

I posted this in the original thread, but perhaps it should be in a new one so it could be more easily found by potential or existing D-28 owners.

UPDATE: 12-31-19
The past 48+ hours in coastal southern Maine has seen a nasty mix of snow, sleet, rain, snow and then rain again. Accumulation was 8 -12" of dense stuff with the berm at the end of our driveway being especially challenging. I can only describe this as white mason's mortar. It is by far the worst stuff I've ever had to deal with since moving to this neighborhood.

Initially getting through the berm was really slow going, but not unlike what I would expect with my 8/26. The machine rode up but that was to be expected. I would say that it did better than the 8/26, and the throwing distance was certainly far superior. Per Oncer's suggestion, I lowered the tire pressure to 8 PSI, but in this wet slick stuff anything short of a tracked machine would be sliding around anyway. After getting through and then clearing the driveway (including the berm) I used about 25 - 30% of the auger housing opening vs. 50%+ in normal snow. When the plow came by again and I had to clean up the wet sloppy residue, I could use the entire width without problem and this is something I couldn't do with the old MTD. So, in terms of the assertion that the Deluxe 28 is under-powered, I would say that it is not an all-conquering beast, but adequately powered for the job. To those who would disagree, I would also go back to my old standby reply that it depends on expectations and technique.

I have generally overcome the ergonomic issues I had initially, and have been able to make the rapid changes in chute azimuth and deflector angle necessitated by the tight quarters here in the neighborhood. The big advantage is the throwing distance. My driveway is in some places wider than it is long and I can only throw the snow in one direction. With the 8/26 it was understood that I would be moving the snow twice, and this is generally not the case with the Deluxe 28.

The last thing I want to mention is the size of the fuel tank. It is much smaller than my old HMSK80 and I ran out of fuel once. So I have to be cognizant of this and with the new hour/tach meter, I'll have a better handle on this.

Overall, I am still very happy with the machine. Any questions, feel free to PM or post.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 01-02-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, kimber, detdrbuzzard, Zavie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 122
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 423
Every storm is unique, and everyone's drive has unique properties, and everyone has a snowblower they are used to operating, or becoming used to a new one.

The technique each person uses is self taught, depending on how they became accustomed to using it, and maybe honed some, if they applied some knowledge of others going through the same situation.

Most every time, a homeowner can clear a driveway, with there existing machine (providing it is good operating condition), as it is mostly on how you approach it. Guaranteed, there are monsters out there as well as regular machines, and some will certainly clear snow faster.

EOD, how much of a bucket width, along with machine speeds, will always be a deciding factor that each person will have to decide, depending on snowfall, depending on there ability's, as well as there units ability.

All too often I see people going at it the wrong way. Some people just have no conception of common sense, and many also have a "Charging Charlie" mentality.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes kimber, Clutch Cargo liked this post
post #3 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 698
Glad it handled the snow, this stuff was nasty. And a longer throwing distance can be very nice.

My current machine throws a little further than my last one. But it's still not quite enough to throw the snow off the edge of the driveway, from the wide portion by the garage doors. A little extra throwing distance would mean only moving all the snow once, which would be a nice benefit. It's not a big deal with smaller storms, but when the snow is deep/heavy, the double-snow area gets tougher to clear.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 22
I love the throw distance, like you I only have to blow it once instead of twice, the thing is a beast! After moving this nasty stuff, not worried about anything mother nature may bring in the future.
post #5 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 101
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 141
@Clutch Cargo

Which engine on your Deluxe 28?
post #6 of 11 Unread 01-01-2020, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
@Clutch Cargo

Which engine on your Deluxe 28?
AX 254cc (LCT)
Model: PW6HK17750.
The same one is used on the Deluxe 24.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
post #7 of 11 Unread 01-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 4
Iím still waiting for our first real snow to break in my new Deluxe 28 with the AX 254 engine. Iím glad to hear you are not disappointed with the power of the 254. I was having a little buyerís remorse that I didnít travel far and wide to find a SHO model.
We just donít get big storms that often in SE MD, and when we do Iíll just have to take smaller bites like you suggested. Still beats shoveling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Clutch Cargo liked this post
post #8 of 11 Unread 01-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeram1 View Post
I’m still waiting for our first real snow to break in my new Deluxe 28 with the AX 254 engine. I’m glad to hear you are not disappointed with the power of the 254. I was having a little buyer’s remorse that I didn’t travel far and wide to find a SHO model.
We just don’t get big storms that often in SE MD, and when we do I’ll just have to take smaller bites like you suggested. Still beats shoveling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat as you, but settled with the compact 24....For insane snow....last mega storm of 96. Next door neighbor uses his Big Kubota to clear things out...so the 24c does well for my walkway and small driveway!!! Beats the Shovel!!!
See you at Gettysburg Bike Week?

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....

Last edited by penna stogey; 01-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.
post #9 of 11 Unread 01-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 49
Chains or studs can be a huge help, Grip Studs has a wide selection. Costly but they work as advertised. I had the 1100 for my Ural project, you can get deeper spiral and longer studs for a tack or a tire and slow speeds stuff is not an issue for them as they go on the main road at highway speeds.

I put a few in the track on the Yamaha as the neighbor paved her driveway and its new asphalts is slimy (it was gravel oddly enough before) I was slipping at the steeper bottom part. We sit about 5 feet above the street and the first pitch is pretty steep in the fist `15 feet.

Probably new tracked machine have grippier winter compound material but it was not a thing back when I got it.

I had a dozen studs left over from the Ural studding so I put a line down the middle of each track.

She keeps shelving it before I can get to it (timing on weekend and holidays) so I need to get it with 6 inches of snow on the main part.
I still blow back the edge for her so she has a place to shovel the snow without an overhead lift.

Back when I had the Toro I had chains on it that worked well.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #10 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I have 2014 deluxe 28 here in NH. . Thing is a tank in all snow. I use Pam or off brand non stick spray or snow-jet when snow is wet.
Keep everything lubed folks ! Even the auto turn differential.
Glad I didnít spring for an sho - this Juan is ffiiiiinnnneeee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in