LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thumbs up MTD 5/22 in Maine

I purchased a used (1995 on tag) MTD Yardman 5 HP Tecumseh 22" 2 stage snowblower 4 years ago for $300. It started out being used only on the walkways and pond used for ice skating for our kids, friends and family. It is now my primary snow removal tool with a dirt driveway 30' wide by 100' long, a 50' by 50' grass dog pen, and around the barn and house. It is well used, has a ton of hours on it, and always starts on the first pull, even at temperatures below zero! The only thing I have done to it is regular fluid changes, spark plug and now a homemade impeller kit. With almost 3' of snow last weekend (and before the impeller kit) the light fluffy stuff was no problem for this little guy, even with only my hands and top of the chute above the snow! It was throwing it about 15-20 feet. Wet snow/slush is quite different, as it would "throw" it 5' to 10' max and constantly clog the chute. Now, with the impeller kit installed, 24" deep heavy wet snow that was partially frozen was being thrown 25' and very high today! And without one clog in the chute or auger. I highly recommend the impeller kit, either purchased or make your own like several people have done on here, and is where I got the idea from. Thanks guys!

Brian
current machines:
1> 1995 MTD Yardman 5HP Tecumseh 22"
homemade impeller kit (huge improvement)
2> Ariens (older) in need of engine, was 7HP Tec.
just installed impeller kit, ready to find engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 115
Thanks for the input bbuck. I sure like the impeller mod too since my machine happens to be the exact same machine as yours. Except my machine now has the larger Predator 212cc on it. Unfortunately my Tecumseh was real hard to start so I replaced it. I still have the old engine in the garage and I may pull the head off it to see if it has lots of carbon build up on the piston and valves. Good to hear from you. Lots of the guys here on the forum are real interested in how we can fix up our machines and make them into even better snowblowers.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Thanks for the input. You are getting great service from a small machine. The impeller kit seems like a big improvement. I have thought of doing it, but so far my old Noma 10 HP 27" bucket machine has performed well enough. I hesitate to modify it, because I don't want to upset the Karma.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1668
Likes (Received): 586
i got an impeller kit for my craftsman last winter that i never installed. now that i have the toro 521 the kit is going to go on it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page