Honda HS1132 Hydrostatic track drive - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS1132 Hydrostatic track drive

This thing is about 5 or 6 years old. My church owns it, and at this particular building, we also have an old Murray built John Deere TRS-27.

Thoughts about the Honda-
Pros: It is a Honda. Good engine. Fires right up, Not too noisy. Throws snow BEAUTIFULLY!!

Cons: This thing was NOT designed for anyone over 5'10". (I am 6'2") Typical Japanese engineering. I have to bend over/crouch down to maneuver and drive this thing, and after 3-4 minutes of this, my back is KILLING me. Also- The track drive SUCKS when it comes to turning. There is NO nutural in this thing so it will not roll freely, despite what others have said. I either have to drag it or use the drive itself to move it. A major pain in the you know what for turning corners. Another con.. well.. It is a Honda. Love it or hate it.

I don't have to serve this building often for snow removal but when I do, I always take the Deere over the Honda because of how frustrating it is to drive, and how painful it is on my back as well. otherwise it's a great machine.
Ryan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
robert@honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
Posts: 841
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This thing was NOT designed for anyone over 5'10". (I am 6'2")
Honda recognized this issue and the most current version of this model (HS1332) has 2" taller handlebars. The choke/throttle also changed, so taller bars wont' fit older models.

The good news? Some aftermarket extensions are available, although not endorsed by Honda, I understand they work nicely and don't require longer cables or any other modifications.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.


post #3 of 24 Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM
pfn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 247
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
I agree 100% on tracks. I have a 32"Ariens Pro with tracks and my purchase of it was a terrible mistake. It is very difficult to impossible to maneuver. I should have bought wheels and chains. It would have been cheaper and it would have done the same job. Tracks are trash! imho
pfn is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 180
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Very pleased to hear that Honda improved on the short handles.
Ryan is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Member
 
M1A2 Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 54
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
I agree 100% on tracks. I have a 32"Ariens Pro with tracks and my purchase of it was a terrible mistake. It is very difficult to impossible to maneuver. I should have bought wheels and chains. It would have been cheaper and it would have done the same job. Tracks are trash! imho
The tracks on vehicles are useful for uneven terrain and climbing steep grades, especially when the ground is mud- or snow-covered, which is why tanks use tracks.

Last edited by M1A2 Hahn; 03-24-2014 at 09:41 PM.
M1A2 Hahn is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 AM
pfn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 247
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A2 Hahn View Post
The tracks on vehicles are useful for uneven terrain and climbing steep grades, especially when the ground is mud- or snow-covered, which is why tanks use tracks.
I've seen where tanks go, snow blowers generally don't go there. I'm certain I won't be blowing snow in any place like that. My drive is long, 600 ft. or so and fairly steep. Wheels and chains work fine and I can turn the machine. For a snow blower tracks are overkill. Again, imo.
pfn is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks help thanked for this post
post #7 of 24 Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Member
 
M1A2 Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 54
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
I've seen where tanks go, snow blowers generally don't go there. I'm certain I won't be blowing snow in any place like that. My drive is long, 600 ft. or so and fairly steep. Wheels and chains work fine and I can turn the machine. For a snow blower tracks are overkill. Again, imo.
Maybe you bought your tracked snowblower before you tested it and understood its limitations and capabilities. If the less expensive wheels/chains work as well on your "fairly steep" driveway and you bought the "overkill" machine by mistake, is that really that machine's fault?
M1A2 Hahn is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM
pfn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 247
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A2 Hahn View Post
Maybe you bought your tracked snowblower before you tested it and understood its limitations and capabilities. If the less expensive wheels/chains work as well on your "fairly steep" driveway and you bought the "overkill" machine by mistake, is that really that machine's fault?

Who said it was the machines fault? Certainly not me. I simply stated that tracked machines are more difficult to maneuver than snow blowers with wheels. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. I further stated my OPINION that tracked machines were overkill. Am I not allowed an opinion? I think so. Get over it.
pfn is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Member
 
M1A2 Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 54
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
Who said it was the machines fault? Certainly not me. I simply stated that tracked machines are more difficult to maneuver than snow blowers with wheels. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. I further stated my OPINION that tracked machines were overkill. Am I not allowed an opinion? I think so. Get over it.

Have you thought about switching to decaf?
M1A2 Hahn is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM
pfn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 247
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A2 Hahn View Post
Have you thought about switching to decaf?
Hey, Guy. No need to attack folks opinion (mine in this case) in a forum that is 90% opinion. I said I made a mistake purchasing a tracked machine. I know why they make tracks, I think everyone does. What I don't think people know is how difficult tracked machine are to maneuver. My initial post was in agreement with Ryan's initial observation that "track drive SUCKS when it comes to turning. There is NO nutural in this thing so it will not roll freely, despite what others have said. I either have to drag it or use the drive itself to move it. A major pain...". I state my OPINION
that tracks are overkill in the hopes that others strongly consider avoiding them when they purchase a snow blower. You may disagree. If so post your reasons. That's all I've done.
pfn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome