post #1 of 56 Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 30 Platimum SHO

Hey guys,

New to the forum, I just returned a 2014 troy-bilt 2840 because it wont make 180 degree turns at loop ends without leaving tread marks in the driveway... Lowes... 15% off sale + 10% off movers coupon got it for $720. Good deal, sure... quality no. I have done a ton of research across the board.. looked at everything.. 90% of the "crap" I suppose out there is all made by "china" MTD... even went to a cub cadet dealer and saw that it was exactly that.. MTD.

Anyway.... on to the good stuff.. Looking at a Ariens 30 SHO from snowblowersdirect. I went to my local dealer and loved this model. Big motor and should be plenty for my 200' concrete drive that opens up into 8 car wide landing.

Just wondering opinions and such. Good, bad and ugly on the "auto-turn" system. I plan to stick around this forum a while as snow removal is new to me.. (Just moved to Minnesota.)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Welcome to the forums (and to Minnesota)!
post #3 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Nothing bad to say about the Platinum or Deluxe 30.
post #4 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1633
Likes (Received): 571
hello sledwrecker, welcome to SBF

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 5
Welcome,

I have not used an Ariens in the snow yet but I did take a few of them for a test drive at my local dealer last week. The auto turn works crazy good, I hope it does as well in the wild with a foot of snow. I tried it in a track model and it worked well in that application too.

I ended up popping for a Hydo unit after playing with them both side by side, + I just wanted the biggest motor I could get. I love having the hydo in my tractor, I hope for the same in the blower. Will let everyone know after some time if I made the right choice or not!

I take delivery this week sometime.

btw, I was also going to get the 30" SHO that you are looking at, after looking at them side by side it was not that much of a stretch to get into the commercial line.

If you look at the parts diagram you will see that the prol line has a one piece augur axle that goes from side to side, in the other models its 3 pieces, I assume that why those units have the braces in the middle to keep it from twisting, I'm sure either way it's just fine in the real world however. You also pick up some bigger bearings on at auger ends and at the wheels, you can see that when you look at them side by side plus a few other little things. They claim the Briggs motor is better with a cast sleeve etc., I'm not sure I buy into that or not to be honest, LCT seem to be getting/has a good track record.

Again if you are looking at the 30" SHO for about another $300 you can get into the commercial/line, that's what it came down to for me. I'm in MN as well a we get a fair amount of snow so I could justify it in my mind, then again added the hydo for anther $300 so what do I know see how they get ya.

The amount of power in this thing seems so crazy compared to my old 8hp, should be fun.

At the very least take at the all the models side by side,

Good luck
post #6 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Dbcooper, thanks for the reply it is very insightful. I have been comparing the pro line and am willing to make the stretch for a hydro... Just not sure which one. What did you end up buying?
post #7 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
q95

Post Thanks / Like
I'm leaning toward the 24" Platinum SHO. I've been shopping for a bit, I'm in Rochester, MN, and I think the 24" Deluxe would be "OK". But, I really want more power, than to have a bogged down machine working on the end of the driveway.

I probably would have one by now, but the dealer that is 6 blocks from my driveway has never had a 24" SHO assembled and ready to go. The one that is 25 miles away does. Today, when I called on availability, the "close by" dealer doesn't answer the phone, goes to phone message that says they're busy. The one 25 miles away answers and has info! I've bought a chainsaw, weed eater & leaf blower from the guy 25 miles away, so I'm comfortable with them ... just not overly close, especially for the larger item.

Shop and decide this week! If you register by 10/31 (check the dealer to be exact), Ariens is extending the 3-year warranty to a 5-year warranty, their current (and only) promotion. So, don't delay too much longer, the clock is ticking!

PS ... mind sharing why you're not buying from your local dealer? I think for an item of this size and price, I'd go to the dealer. Then, you're chances of "help" go way, way up ... in my mind anyway. I'm NOT buying at Home Depot for that reason alone. I'd be even more worried about mail order as well, more tinkering w/ a high dollar item and not many options on my end if something is wrong with the product.

Last edited by q95; 10-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
post #8 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, I know about the extended warranty deal it's plastered all over the SBD's site :-) Great deal and real solid reason to buy NOW!

I'm not going through the dealer for three reasons. 1. no sales tax saves me -/+ $200 depending on what model I get. After DCoopers suggestion of stepping up to a pro model I really only need to come up with another couple hundred over what I "would" of paid in MN sales tax. 2. I hate the pushy salesman BS.. Went there to browse guy was all over me like white on rice. Finally.. I want to do finally assembly myself.

I originally bought the Troy-built 3090xp during Lowes big sale. Clerk tells me "sure I have one crated." went back the next day to pick it up and he was mistaken. Ended up with the 2840 instead because it was the only one crated. Didn't want some stock boy slapping it together.. Now I know at the dealer they are likely assembled by one of the mechanics and that's great. For me, I want to do the final assembly and much look forward to it. Out of all these reasons the pushy sales people and bad attitude of the local dealer + the numerous solid reviews from SBD swayed me that direction.

I spoke to Ariens support because I wanted to get a feel for what they are like to deal with. Friendly and helpful, no overseas call center BS like Troy-Bilt. He said it doesn't matter where I buy as long as it's an "authorized" dealer. I still get the extended warranty deal and if I have a warranty repair it goes to any "authorized" dealer.

So all these things considered SBD is my most likely route. Was almost certain on the Platinum 30 SHO but after taking another look I'm seriously debating the Pro 32" now. Uggg.. what's a brother to do!?! By the time I pull the trigger I'll have blown out my budget and ordered the Hydro 32" track drive!

Last edited by sledwrecker; 10-27-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #10 of 56 Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwrecker View Post
Dbcooper, thanks for the reply it is very insightful. I have been comparing the pro line and am willing to make the stretch for a hydro... Just not sure which one. What did you end up buying?

I ended up with the 28" pro hydro model, matter of fact they called and said it was ready to be picked up.

This was my thought, all the pro models use the same motor and I like to walk at a somewhat normal pace and not have to wait for the machine to eat the snow, so in my mind the biggest motor on the smallest frame would solve that issue. I hope I can run a 6" snow at 3-4 mph. The 28" will also mostly fit on the sidewalk. I did run a 36" machine as well, its huge but with the auto turn it still handled well.

I feel the 28" will be a good fit and I think I will be able to squeeze it through the man door.

btw, the price difference between the hydo 28" and 32" was a good size jump.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WriteNoob liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page