the new multi-impeller machines, reviews ? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
the new multi-impeller machines, reviews ?

I was in a power equipment store, and then in Lowe's in the past 2 weeks, getting small parts for my machines. They had Cub Cadet, Toro, Husqvarna, etc. new machines with the multiple impeller setup. Actually it looks more like 2 propellers, one in front, on in back of the auger tines, then the impeller behind that in the usual location.

so what are these now, 4 stage machines ??

they look like they'll really eat up the snow banks at first glance. but those suckers are expensive. $1100 at Lowes, and the Cadets had power steering, etc. and were $2500

WTH is going to pay that much, for a snowblower that will be worth $500 a year later on a good day ?

the way I look at it, no matter now much the snow is chewed up and processed in the front, it's the impeller that throws it out. over-processing the snow into a very thin slushy mix may actually have a detrimental effect, rather than advantageous. but the engines appear to be on the big side to handle it.

this was a new design last year by what the Cadet dealer told me, but he has not ran one himself yet.

anyone try them here ?

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
There have been some discussions about them on this forum..
most agree they are simply useless gimmicks..

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...nd-coming.html

Snowblowers are very simple and basic machines..the basic function was perfected half a century ago. Real advances have been made since then in safety, but there is very little left to "advance" in terms of the operation of the machine itself..
So in order to differentiate themselves in the marketplace, (some) manufacturers choose to come up with gimmicks, which usually have no advantage in reality, and are often actually disadvantages! they only "look good" on the sales floor.

Some of the major "gimmicks" that are actually disadvantages.

1. Electric chute controls.
seriously?! turning a manual crank that is *right in front of you* is too much trouble?! we have to push an electric button instead? utterly pointless..and usually*much worse* than the manual crank, because the electric switch can fail, making the machine unusable until its fixed..

2. Wheels instead of skids.
we have discussed these before..no benefit over skids, and several disadvantages over skids.

3. All these various "three stage" designs..
no benefit over traditional designs..So far we dont know if they are *worse* or not..there hasnt been much testing or reviews on them yet..We do know one disadvantage already though! They do seem to have a higher cost..and the higher cost is only for a gimmick that probably gains you absolutely no advantage over a traditional design.

MTD should work on making their machines *better*..not gimmickier..
but market forces are also at work here..most consumers are pretty clueless..if the salesman says "look! this one has THREE stages! obviously three stages is BETTER than two stages!"..lots of people will believe it, because they simply dont know any better..consumer ignorance can be a major sales factor.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I was also looking at the 3X Cub Cadet before purchasing my Husqvarna this year.The mechanic at the dealer where I bought my snow blower says that the center blades will get bent at the first frozen newspaper that it ingests rendering it out of balance and in need of his attention.He 's been witness to all kinds of strange stuff spun around snow blower insides.His favorite is the unseen dog chain that was wrapped around the impeller.
post #4 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 AM
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Here's an honest sounding review.

2014 Cub Cadet 3X„ 28 & 24 inch Three-Stage Snow Blower Review - MovingSnow.com

I looked at the Cub Cadet at a Home Depot. I don't want to hurt any feelings but it looked chintzy.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
I have an older Craftsman three stage with the bar above the main auger and it would be better at knocking down drifts if the housing flared up instead of coming over the top.

Always make sure you don't have a battery charger on a vehicle and an extension cord running across the driveway.

The picture isn't mine but I've done it

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2014 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
oh Deere! :P before someone sez it lol

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #7 of 39 Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
3x faster processing snow is a gimmick

normal walking speed is 3mph, and no one wants to jog behind a machine at 9mph, it's tiresome, stupid, and the operator looks silly

I've got more than a few old warhorses with very thick auger tines that are bent from previous owners hitting things, even though they are very stiff and hard to bend. IMO those tines, propellers, impeller on these new machines look mighty thin and chintzy to my eyes. I think they'll be bending very easily.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #8 of 39 Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Full speed on my Honda Hydro is plenty fast enough for me. I would be more concerned with distance of snow cleared and the design and durability of the impeller... If its a good stout design with tight tolerances, with a fairly good speed, it will move snow fast, far and with extreme prejudice.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet Shooter View Post
If its a good stout design with tight tolerances, with a fairly good speed, it will move snow fast, far and with extreme prejudice.
Take a look at one of the "3-stage" Cub Cadets or Troy-Bilts in person at Lowes. (I have)..wiggle the augers a bit, then decide if they seem "stout" or not! (hint: I did not.)

Scot

post #10 of 39 Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I bought a 3x, I feel it's good construction. Sure the impeller can bend, many can. I look at avoiding obstacles altogether. You ask the homeowner ahead of time and try to check your area. Sure you'll miss things, but do you leave big sticks and branches on the ground with your lawn mower?? Same deal. You don't cut on rocks with a chainsaw either. I like the construction of the cub and can't wait to put it through it's paces on snow. I'm pleased with my purchase so far, however not the shipper that delivered it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page