LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
Ariens Deluxe 28+ review

I've had the opportunity to use my new orange machine for some significant snow removal and figured I'd post my thoughts on it here.

This is the 28+ 9210327 with the Ax 291 14.5 ft lb motor and knobby tires. Bought if from a local dealer, $1300 delivered and running.

Power wise, it's a beast. Chugs through 16" of powder without even a grunt. Throws snow across the street into my neighbor's yard. Traction is fair, probably could use chains - not sure about that. Glad I didn't get the lesser version with standard tires.

The jury is still out on the Auto-Turn feature. On one hand it's very easy to maneuver on flat pavement, but under power it has a mind of its own especially in reverse. You gotta be careful getting close to cars in the driveway, if one wheel digs in you could have an incident.

I only have about 4 hours on it so far, so can't comment on reliability yet. But overall I'm seriously pleased.

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I only have about 4 hours on it so far
Don't forget to get that factory oil out of the engine, assuming you have not already done so. (first 5 hours is recommended)

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
You are possibly aware that installing Armour skids improves the Auto-turn for many members here. Just saying and +1 on Lift off comment.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Well after almost 3 hours of use not very happy I also have a older 8/24. The 8/24 went to our Cabin up North and I was planning to use the Deluxe 28 for home use. Auto turn seems ok if you're moving at a snails pace but at normal walking speed I would rather have the feature of the 8/24 one wheel unlocked, traction is fair at best not sure if the larger tires are to blame but again the 8/24 smaller tires much better. While using it today guess what... stuck in high gear, no reverse sounds like the shift fork has came apart like so many others. After clearing snow it will be going back to dealer really sucks will need to find trailer and waste 3 hours of my time. Maybe they will buy it back... maybe they will have a used 8 year old 8/24 and trade, slim chance
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ccharette thanked for this post
post #5 of 12 Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlrrw View Post
Well after almost 3 hours of use not very happy I also have a older 8/24. The 8/24 went to our Cabin up North and I was planning to use the Deluxe 28 for home use. Auto turn seems ok if you're moving at a snails pace but at normal walking speed I would rather have the feature of the 8/24 one wheel unlocked, traction is fair at best not sure if the larger tires are to blame but again the 8/24 smaller tires much better. While using it today guess what... stuck in high gear, no reverse sounds like the shift fork has came apart like so many others. After clearing snow it will be going back to dealer really sucks will need to find trailer and waste 3 hours of my time. Maybe they will buy it back... maybe they will have a used 8 year old 8/24 and trade, slim chance
. Follow the link in the Ariens forum. Had to put the shift fork back together on mine yesterday, not happy, takes 30 minutes. Print the schematic of the 2 washers that fell off, don't forget to straighten out forks.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
Oil change and skids are on my agenda. Think I'll keep the old Craftsman around for backup...

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Any more positive reviews?

Would like to hear more reviews from A deluxe28+ owners
And comparisons especially those who own previous models.
I have a good opportunity to buy one.
Just spill out the PRO AND CONS.
From what I understand there is a learning/understanding curve on the auto turn.
thanks

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
post #8 of 12 Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlrrw View Post
Check your tire inflation. That for me was very important. Both tires have to have the same PSI. After that make sure your bucket is sitting level. Instructions are on the Ariens page here. You might be surprised what a difference this makes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
i have the 921035 deluxe 28 plus. 250cc briggs engine. added plastic skids and i like the way this thing works. only issue ive had so far was a hairpin clip broke from the auger drive control handle attachment. easy fix on the fly for me. it worked very well on all the snow we had last snow season...over 100 inches !!

2014 ariens deluxe 28+

post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
I have a Deluxe 28+ model 921037 with AX414 motor. I bought it new in February 2015 for $1400 and had the local dealer deliver it fully assembled and ready to go.

Having used it for the worst of that 110" inches of snow we got over the course of the 2014-2015 winter season, I have had to replace one broken shear pin and....nothing else. No lost parts, no adjustments needed, nothing but pure joy every time I pushed the primer 4 times and pulled the handle ONCE.

Dealers, at least the good and knowledgeable ones, add value in that what they deliver is assembled correctly, adjusted right and work perfect.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Motodeficient liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in