LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Platinum 24 SHO OR 28 Deluxe SHO

I live in Delaware, now but I am from MA. After 7 snow throwers in the past I have learned that I should "never bring a toy to snow removal!" My las blower was an Ariens 1336 which was a beast. Unfortunately, I did not bring it when I moved here - wife said it was too big.

I am now looking at the Platinum 24 SHO or the 28 Deluxe SHO. I know both are more than I need 90% of the time, but I went through the Blizzard of '78 and I do not mind the overkill.

1. How reliable is the shoot turning mechanism on the 24 Platinum as compared to the "coffee grinder" rod system on the 28?

2. Any thoughts on the two different engines on the 24 and 28?

3. Any other comments on the two units I am considering would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I live in Delaware, now but I am from MA. After 7 snow throwers in the past I have learned that I should "never bring a toy to snow removal!" My las blower was an Ariens 1336 which was a beast. Unfortunately, I did not bring it when I moved here - wife said it was too big.

I am now looking at the Platinum 24 SHO or the 28 Deluxe SHO. I know both are more than I need 90% of the time, but I went through the Blizzard of '78 and I do not mind the overkill.

1. How reliable is the shoot turning mechanism on the 24 Platinum as compared to the "coffee grinder" rod system on the 28?

2. Any thoughts on the two different engines on the 24 and 28?

3. Any other comments on the two units I am considering would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kirin

These are both excellent machines. The platinum 24 SHO will give you more power per inch, but the deluxe 28 SHO will not be underpowered.

It really comes down to how many bells & whistles do you want/need. The Quick Turn chute seems to have been improved this year and should be reliable, however nothing will be more reliable than the over the dash manual crank chute control long-term. Additionally you will get the heated grips with the Platinum series.

LCT makes a good engine the 369cc engine is a larger block design that uses 38oz. of oil and is rated at 17 ft./lbs. of torque the 306cc engine uses 32oz. of oil, is a little lighter in weight and is rated at 15 ft./lbs. of torque. I have had a few Ariens machines and currently have the Platinum 24 SHO I am excited to use it, however where I live the last couple of days have been 70

Update: after having a chance to finally use the machine last month it performs very well, the worst feature of both of these machines is a poorly designed gas cap.

Last edited by Cardo111; 02-13-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 235
Likes (Received): 47
Welcome!! I as well have lived in MA my whole life and just moved to NH where it gets worse winters lol. But i just picked up a 28 SHO and although i haven't used it, i can say it is a highly regarded machine and company and it is built like a tank. Its very solid and doesn't feel cheap in any way shape or form. Im even excited to put it to use when the snow arrives. Also on the few occasions that i have contact Ariens with questions they have been very quick to reply and helpful.

2016 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO AX306cc (921044) | Drift Cutters | Front Weight Kit | Handwarmers
1965 Ariens 10ML60D with 1970 10,000 Series Sno-Thro Attachment 10995 | Tecumseh H70-130216G (7HP)
2016 Ariens Razor SP Mower AC159cc (911175)
2016 Predator 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watt Generator 13HP 420cc (69671)
post #4 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 93
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 217
Likes (Received): 134
Kirin, welcome aboard! It sounds like the 24" SHO might be just about right for Deleware ...

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #5 of 20 Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I am looking into the Ariens 28SHO but in my research I heard that the auto wheel turn, is not very good because when you hit a bump or an incline it thinks you want to turn and you have to fight to get it back on track. Have you heard that.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
not true once you work with it some. plastic skids rule with that issue. make sure tire pressures are the same and bucket height is set same on both sides too. ive had no issues with autoturn. one other thing is its easier to pull it rather than push it to turn easier

2014 ariens deluxe 28+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
For what it is worth, the Ariens auto-turn appears to be an accident waiting to happen....

Just too many variables that need to be addressed when in close proximity to other things. A lot of things to keep track of.... Equal tire pressure, poly skids with equal height setting, push vs pull, non-smooth surfaces etc ....

Maybe old school, but prefer simpler
post #8 of 20 Old 11-26-2015, 06:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 286
Likes (Received): 150
Hi Kirin, . When you are looking at the 24" Platinum SHO make sure you are getting the engine you want. I think last years engine was the LCT 306cc and the new 2016 specs the LCT 369cc. My full line Ariens dealer I went to last week, (I love looking at new and used stuff), had the 306cc on the floor and it had just a tiny discount. Matter of fact it was the same you could buy the 369cc off of Snow Blowers Direct, $1499. Of course you east coast guys have seen a lot of snow so probably they've long sold out of the 306cc but you never know. I saw the models you are looking at side by side and I prefer the SHO's chute control big time over the Deluxe.
Mary Lyn from Arien's just posted a Black Friday event on the forum. 2 extra year warranty and 24 month interest free financing. If it were me I'd jump on the SHO because I don't need the extra width and I'd love the extra power.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #9 of 20 Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopquestions View Post
For what it is worth, the Ariens auto-turn appears to be an accident waiting to happen....

Just too many variables that need to be addressed when in close proximity to other things. A lot of things to keep track of.... Equal tire pressure, poly skids with equal height setting, push vs pull, non-smooth surfaces etc ....

Maybe old school, but prefer simpler
i am also old school and i like it !!

2014 ariens deluxe 28+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
how is the platinum on hills? has any one tried up & down hills or steep hills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page