Electric Snowblowers... Novelty or Usefull? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Electric Snowblowers... Novelty or Usefull?

This may be a little controversial for my first real post but I have been reading about and seeing a lot more "proper" single-stage electric units hitting the shelves and I was wondering how effective they are. I realize the main limitations to these machines but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used one. I must admit that I am intrigued by the simplicity fo these things.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
This may be a little controversial for my first real post but I have been reading about and seeing a lot more "proper" single-stage electric units hitting the shelves and I was wondering how effective they are. I realize the main limitations to these machines but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used one. I must admit that I am intrigued by the simplicity fo these things.
I have never used one, but most of these units are running a 13A - 15A motor. This means you are getting about 2.0 - 2.3 HP of power as an absolute maximum.

Since power measures the rate at which work can be done, the laws of physics already have these at a serious disadvantage to a gas powered unit with 5 HP or more.

Something has to give.. They either can't move the snow as far or can't move as much..

That said I am sure they might work ok in small spaces with smaller amounts of snow.

Ariens Platinum 30
post #3 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 297
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 974
I've never experienced using one but my neighbor bought one last year and seemed to have a dickens of a time with the power cord. It was a true electric blower not battery operated. I was done with three residences by the time he got part of his sidewalk done. Admittedly, this was obviously his first time operating it and I felt bad for him but he soldiered on and finally got done. Just watching him though, convinced me to stay the heck awy from them. I know Toro makes an electric "Power shovel" that seems to have a decent legacy. Just not for me. Well, if I had only a small sidewalk to do and was a little older I would possibly consider getting one.
AND......

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I've never experienced using one but my neighbor bought one last year and seemed to have a dickens of a time with the power cord. It was a true electric blower not battery operated. I was done with three residences by the time he got part of his sidewalk done. Admittedly, this was obviously his first time operating it and I felt bad for him but he soldiered on and finally got done. Just watching him though, convinced me to stay the heck awy from them. I know Toro makes an electric "Power shovel" that seems to have a decent legacy. Just not for me. Well, if I had only a small sidewalk to do and was a little older I would possibly consider getting one.
AND......
I had a Power Shovel many years ago, in my first small house, single driveway, one car long. Got it for Christmas that year, and it didn't snow until March, Off I went, secret weapon in hand. Turns out it was about 3" heavy, wet snow. Power shovel was begging for mercy in about 6 minutes, internal thermal protection tripped, I went looking for a blown fuse, found none, and by the time I got back to it, it has cooled and worked again, for about 6 minutes. Tried it one other time in dry snow, and it sort of worked, but it only shot snow forward. Long story short, I dunno where it is, if it moved with us and I don't care.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Received): 54
3 Residences Joe ! Sounds like me sorta...

I do the neighbor to the right of me and I also do the neighbor to the left of me 2 houses over.
Ones older and the latter, her husband passed away suddenly one day after walking into the house from painting the fence...

The immediate neighbor to the left of me, I skip and would rather push the snowblower against the grain of snow rather than even cut a path to get to the other neighbor.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
3 Residences Joe ! Sounds like me sorta...

I do the neighbor to the right of me and I also do the neighbor to the left of me 2 houses over.
Ones older and the latter, her husband passed away suddenly one day after walking into the house from painting the fence...

The immediate neighbor to the left of me, I skip and would rather push the snowblower against the grain of snow rather than even cut a path to get to the other neighbor.
I don't charge anything either. Just do it because I'm the youngest retiree on the street and one neighbor has bad knees, one is 88, one nobody lives there and the nephew who maintains the place lives a mile or so from the house and is in his 70's. Also do anlther one across the street for a nurse who lives alone. She probably doesn't even know who does it for her.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul liked this post
post #7 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuofsci02 View Post
I have never used one, but most of these units are running a 13A - 15A motor. This means you are getting about 2.0 - 2.3 HP of power as an absolute maximum.

Since power measures the rate at which work can be done, the laws of physics already have these at a serious disadvantage to a gas powered unit with 5 HP or more.
Word!

It's nice to see someone who knows science and doesn't fall for marketing B.S. Sears can stamp "5 HP" on their shop vacs all they want (in blatant violation of truth-in-advertising laws, but apparently nobody cares about that any more), but it doesn't change the fact you can only get a little over two horsepower out of a standard electrical outlet.

Having said that, I will also say my grandfather had an electric snowblower for many years and was very happy with it.

In spite of living in eastern MA where we get a decent amount of snow, he had a very short driveway (about 20'), was patient, and being retired he was able to go out as soon as a certain amount of snow had accumulated and remove it, rather than having to wait until the end of the storm or the end of the work day. So if it was heavy wet snow he'd go out when there was 2" or so, more with lighter snow.

When he got older and I started doing his driveway, I kept an Ariens ST824 in his garage as I wasn't in a position to clear the drive every time a couple of inches fell.

I did use that electric machine more than a few times and have to say I didn't find the cord to be such a big deal. You just have to come up with a system for managing it.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #8 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Received): 54
I might not do the house 2 houses over with my new 2 stager.....
She's got PT wood for her driveway expansion joints.
One of them is split, raised at least 5-6 inch out of the joint.
When I use my 621, I make it my business to avoid that area.
Sometimes I forget as it's all covered in snow....and I'm like, let me just get this clean and proceed on.

I'd hate to ding my new SB for just being helpful ;-)
post #9 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
I might not do the house 2 houses over with my new 2 stager.....
She's got PT wood for her driveway expansion joints.
One of them is split, raised at least 5-6 inch out of the joint.
When I use my 621, I make it my business to avoid that area.
Sometimes I forget as it's all covered in snow....and I'm like, let me just get this clean and proceed on.

I'd hate to ding my new SB for just being helpful ;-)
I've seen a couple homes around here w/pressure treated expansion joints. Never had to deal with them though. I broke a paddle last year on my Ariens 522ss. Perfectly clean driveway with about 5" of semi light snow. Not forcing the machine, just letting it eat and wham! This was the vacant home next to us and the driveway is new condition pavement. Have no idea what happened.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
post #10 of 37 Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
... I realize the main limitations to these machines but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used one. ....
I have a SnowJoe 40V 18" ss blower. It works fine for fresh snow and reblown snow. It is on the small side, half way between snow shovel and gas ss blowers. Pricey, but quiet. You can work away without disturbing your neighbours. Very light as well. The charge on one battery has a theoretical limit of 40 minutes. Experience reveals about 30-ish minutes in fresh snow, maybe twenty-ish in hard snow.

Last edited by kueh; 12-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page