LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 258
Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO

We got about 6 inches of snow between 7:00 pm last night and 5:00AM this morning. Barely enough to justify starting the new gal up and giving her a shake down cruise.

Pros:
- Power, Power, and more Power.
- Awesome smooth running engine
- Auto Turn isn't too bad...
- Control knobs/levers work well
- Lots of people slowing down to take a look at the impressive snow throwing distance

Cons:
- HEAVY. Much heavier than I anticipated, and that makes it harder to control for sloped driveways.
- Auto turn isn't too bad.. but could use improvement.
- I get done with my driveway and walks as well as those of the neighbors I take care of about 75% quicker vs the Single Stage 16" Toro that I end up having more time on my hands!

With all that being said, I love the Deluxe-28 SHO. However- I believe I would have been better off if I would have gone with the Plat-24 SHO. But whats done is done and I'm going to be happy with it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 584
sounds like a great machine that you are not 100% happy with maybe with a larger snowfall it will completely win you over

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Likes GoBlowSnow liked this post
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
We got about 6 inches of snow between 7:00 pm last night and 5:00AM this morning. Barely enough to justify starting the new gal up and giving her a shake down cruise.

Pros:
- Power, Power, and more Power.
- Awesome smooth running engine
- Auto Turn isn't too bad...
- Control knobs/levers work well
- Lots of people slowing down to take a look at the impressive snow throwing distance

Cons:
- HEAVY. Much heavier than I anticipated, and that makes it harder to control for sloped driveways.
- Auto turn isn't too bad.. but could use improvement.
- I get done with my driveway and walks as well as those of the neighbors I take care of about 75% quicker vs the Single Stage 16" Toro that I end up having more time on my hands!

With all that being said, I love the Deluxe-28 SHO. However- I believe I would have been better off if I would have gone with the Plat-24 SHO. But whats done is done and I'm going to be happy with it.

Glad to hear that overall you seem pretty happy with your new machine, as we all know no machine is perfect. I think you meant to put one of your cons under pro's getting done faster.

This is a nice machine and so is the Platinum 24 SHO you mentioned, I attached a vid I posted on the Platinum.

All the best.

Likes GoBlowSnow liked this post
Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey I love the machine. But if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with the 24 Inch. The 28 inch is awesome, I love it. And someday when I move out into the country it will really pay off. But an important lesson I have learned here and one which only I could learn here by getting out and trying it out here is that while it's a 28 inch, it's still big enough to cause some minor headaches with having to turn it and maneuver it around some of my neighbors short and small driveways. But it really shines where I need it to, and that is to throw the snow far, since I have a wall/steps going up to the front door on one side of my driveway, and a small section of land used for a flower bed on the other side, that I use to pile up the snow from my neighbors longer and steeper driveway. So with doing mine, I first pile up the snow out onto the street near the curb, and then once that is done, I can then take the machine out onto the curb/street and transfer the snow from my driveway onto my front lawn with that awesome throwing distance.

One more CON I forgot to add- And this is just me personally- I don't like the new combined choke/throttle speed switch. I much prefer a lever to control the engine speed, and a separate knob to turn for the choke. Having the hi/lo switch on top of (or is it bottom?) the choke switch makes it more troublesome as sometimes you go to adjust one and end up choking the thing out or changing the engine speed. I knew this was going to be a dislike of mine when I got the machine, but I decided to go ahead and get it anyway because well... a switch isn't enough for me to justify not purchasing an otherwise perfect machine.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
One more CON I forgot to add- And this is just me personally- I don't like the new combined choke/throttle speed switch. I much prefer a lever to control the engine speed, and a separate knob to turn for the choke. Having the hi/lo switch on top of (or is it bottom?) the choke switch makes it more troublesome as sometimes you go to adjust one and end up choking the thing out or changing the engine speed. I knew this was going to be a dislike of mine when I got the machine, but I decided to go ahead and get it anyway because well... a switch isn't enough for me to justify not purchasing an otherwise perfect machine.
Most new engine manufacturers have the one speed engine only (high speed) so we better get used to it as such.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 135
Nice video, Cardo. I bought one, too. Mine is missing the Ariens decal on the bucket Is that something the dealer would apply?

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
Old 12-02-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Nope but I bet Ariens would be happy to send you one if you contact them. Those decals are already on the machine when they are shipped out to the dealers.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks.

I just find it odd that the decal is missing. I do have the reflective strips on the sides of the bucket - - that's a very good idea.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
Nice video, Cardo. I bought one, too. Mine is missing the Ariens decal on the bucket Is that something the dealer would apply?
Thanks UberT! I am not sure if it is applied by the dealer or the factory. I know that the auger side housing reflector strips are specific to the SHO models. I had Deluxe models that came with the Ariens sticker along the top edge of the bucket so I would have to think that they all should include that sticker. You may want to contact the dealer first then call Ariens if he does not have it. As another member stated Ariens will send you another one if needed.

All the best.

Last edited by Cardo111; 12-02-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, all Ariens I've owned have had that sticker.

Thanks!

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in