post #1 of 31 Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 15
The Honda HSS1332ATD is awesome.

I finally got to use my new HSS1332ATD.

Thing is a **** monster.... but an easily controllable one.

We've had two decent storms here in the Northeast United States each with about 8" of wet snow.

This thing rips through it full speed. It also does a great job on the End of Driveway stuff.

The Auger Protection System, which shuts off the engine before any shear bolts break, should be on EVERY snowblower. Having used machines with shear bolts that constantly need to be replaced, this feature is a game-changer, in my humble opinion and makes this the best walk behind snowblower you can buy.

I'm almost as high on the electric chute controls. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I can get the chute pointed where it needs to be while still blowing snow. Speeds things up immensely.

The hydraulically adjusted bucket height is effortless. I'm used to wheeled machines, so having the bucket stay fixed and not just being able to press down on the handle to get over bumps takes some getting used to. This feature helps a lot with the transition.

The steering with the pull handles works very well. You don't need to pull them all the way to make a small adjustment, just a little twitch. If I just need to keep it going straight, I've learned sometimes I don't even need to use them, just a little muscle. If I DO need to turn sharply, pulling the handle AND using muscle, this thing literally turns on a dime. Anyone who thinks wheels are better than tracks after using this track system needs their head checked. Far superior in every way.

Electric start 390GX engine and Hydro transmission: What's there to say? Same as always. Flawless. I've seen some discussion of the included throttle control being too binary, but I never run it in anything but full throttle.

The handle height is good. I'm 6'1" with normal arms and don't find myself bending over unless I have the bucket raised.

The only annoyance I have is holding down the driver lever can make my hand sore after awhile. Fortunately I'm able to just steer on straightaways standing off to the left side of the machine so I can use my right hand, so it works out.

I got this machine to do a 900 foot driveway when the plow wasn't available. Now that I've seen how it absolutely rips through the snow and how little effort it takes, I'll probably use it instead of the plow some winters. The lack of snowbanks and ripped up lawn and gravel is nice perk.

I'm confused as to why they even offer the version of this for $200 dollars less that doesn't have the electric start, Auger Protection System, hourmeter and chute extension. The APS alone is worth $500 at least, in my humble opinion.

Bottom line, it's a great snowblower and I find it hard to imagine how a walk-behind could get any better.
Post Thanks / Like - 6 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350, bwdbrn1, Tomatillo, 69ariens, detdrbuzzard, Beachcomber thanked for this post
Likes 1894, Tomatillo, Beachcomber liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
Excellent review! Glad to hear that you are completely satisfied with your new machine.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
That's awesome! Nice review!

In my part of the northeast (central MA), we haven't gotten hardly any snow yet. It looks we're going to miss this weekends be Nor' Easter too!
I'm not complaining though

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #4 of 31 Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
So how does that auger protection thing work?

post #5 of 31 Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
It seems to have a sensor on the auger gearbox. There is a heavily armored cable going to a stainless steel box that isn't on any other snowblowers, so I'm making an assumption.

I suspect it measures the rotation and/or stress on the auger in conjunction with engine load to determine when to shut things down.

That's all guesswork on my part though.

In practice, it successfully shut things off when a huge hunk of tree root got jammed inside and when chunks of ice got jammed. It did this before any shear bolts needed to be replaced, so I simply cleared out the obstruction, restarted and went on my way. So easy.

It will also turn off the engine if you decide to run your expensive new snowblower into a wall.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
You're killing me! I wanted to wait another year to upgrade my 3-year-old HS, now I want to trade it in today!!!

Mike
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 31 Old 01-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Quote:
Here is how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...LUyKehc7k#t=56

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #8 of 31 Old 01-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
Thank you sir! Interesting.....if that isn't just slick as snot on a door knob! Very innovative...... I was hoping for something much easier to adapt to an older machine. Oh, well. Shear bolts are cheap I guess.....

post #9 of 31 Old 01-23-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinri View Post
You're killing me! I wanted to wait another year to upgrade my 3-year-old HS, now I want to trade it in today!!!

Mike
I was SO CLOSE to buying a snowblower last year. I had it narrowed down to the 32" Ariens tracked machine or the 1332. I was kinda bummed the Yamaha and Honda machines with the electric chutes were not available.

I finally managed to convince myself I really needed one after last years huge snowfall. So what happens? Ariens stops making their big tracked machine, and the Hondas all get delayed.

Blessing in disguise, though. The features they have added this year really make this a commercial level machine. Replacing shear pins and manually cranking a chute every few seconds isn't conducive to clearing tons of snow. I've been there. Started out with an old Gravely Convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Quote:
Here is how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...LUyKehc7k#t=56

Hmmm. I think we have a insider here.

That's really cool. My guess was a bit off!
post #10 of 31 Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
At least someone has snow to play in. It's white outside but second year where there's barely enough to get the auger wet.

Thanks for the review. Now if they can just make enough of them to make all the Honda wannabe owners happy life will be good
You know YOU"RE driving them crazy !!

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page