Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Photobucket solution on its way..

Just noticed this thread.

Got a response from the CEO of Photobucket via the newspaper

I sent a message directly to his inbox explaining the problem for forums around the world and proposing possible solution(s).
There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Bottom line from his reply...
...snip...
We are currently working on a solution for these users that we will announce shortly, and we appreciate their patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Do Yourself a Favor, and use https://postimages.org/ Works Well, and Fast. Try it.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Do Yourself a Favor, and use https://postimages.org/ Works Well, and Fast. Try it.
IMO, small obscure photo hosting sites that are much less known than Photobucket, are *more* likely to eventually "lose" all your photos, just like photobucket did. Probably not a great long-term solution.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Opinion Noted and Filed.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Let it snow

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 102
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Garage
Hey guys,

Moving forward, we highly recommend that you use the Attachments tool within your Go Advanced option (can also be seen in your User CP), Pictures & Albums and Gallery to host your images on our site here. We can always increase the storage space to better accommodate your pictures.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
Natalie

If you need admin support please post here:

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
...Moving forward, we highly recommend that you use the Attachments tool within your Go Advanced option ...
That's good advice. However, I think there are three main reasons that people have tended to use external image references (possibly more).

1) There is probably an inbuilt limit to the total size of uploaded attachments for a given account. The external links have historically given a convenient way of avoiding those limits.
2) Attachments require one extra mouse click to see them and they appear at the bottom of the posting instead of in-line and in-context. The external links often provide a more seamless way of in-lining images
3) keeping all your images in one place under your own control and supervision. Google-photos does that for me. Hotlinks do that for others.

Issue (1) can be resolved if the forum is willing to increase limits to a bigger (but reasonable) maximum without needing to switch to a paid account. (There's the rub.. we all want to freeload!)
If the forum-hosting software could find a way to solve the in-line issue in item (2)... that would be great!

Whenever I try to inline an image (by dragging and dropping an image into the Advanced editing panel) I often find that my message is now too big to be posted.
I assume that's because the number of bytes in the binary image is treated as being explicit characters as if I typed ascii characters directly into the message. It therefore appears to the software as if I am posting the entire works of Shakespeare when it is actually just a modestly-sized image.
If there was a way to treat local attachments in the same way that external hotlinks are handled, this would allow them to be in-lined and I think people would be more likely to use them for most of their image needs.

Of course, none of the above remedies will work for the situation where a user has a single image that they want to share across multiple forums.. but that is usually a less-common exceptional case. Having said that, a lot of our users participate on the forums for snowblowers AND lawnmowers AND Tractors and maybe others that are totally off-site. Google-photos or hotlinks take care of that issue too.

Until (1) and (2) are resolved, I think we'll see people continuing to use external hotlinks or (in my case) google-photos and avoiding the attachment concept altogether.

-------------------------
Finally, speaking to Scot's point... the terms and conditions for postimage end with this sentence. (They would be crazy not to say it).
We may revise these terms from time to time without notice
I'm not sure what the Latin is for freeloader-beware so I'll just say Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by unknown1; 08-29-2017 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
IMO, small obscure photo hosting sites that are much less known than Photobucket, are *more* likely to eventually "lose" all your photos, just like photobucket did. Probably not a great long-term solution.

Scot
just because you host some pic's on photobucket or or a lesser known image hosting site is no reason to delete them form your computer, it would indeed be foolish to do so. if you are worried about running out of space on your hard drive add a second hard drive or an external hard drive

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes YSHSfan, Jackmels liked this post
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
just because you host some pic's on photobucket or or a lesser known image hosting site is no reason to delete them form your computer, it would indeed be foolish to do so. if you are worried about running out of space on your hard drive add a second hard drive or an external hard drive
I don't think Scot meant lost (without the inverted commas).. he meant that they suddenly no longer work on the forum.
That's why he used the inverted commas... not really lost...just missing in action (on the forum)
:-)
BTW .. the PB photos were never inaccessible to the owners... it was just the forums that could no longer see them.
Users can zip them up and download at ANY time. No one was truly "held to ransom".

As for local hard drives... Absolutely! I never ever rely on the cloud as a SOLE form of storage.
However, as folks move towards phones and tablets and stop buying PC's there are a lot of people starting to rely on things like Dropbox as their PRIMARY storage... risky!
Dropbox is great.. but I would never bet the farm on it. Maybe risky is too strong a word... I just prefer absolute control and gain comfort from seeing a disk in front of me.
In my case, I keep mirror copies of all my disks so that I have two copies of everything ready for when one of them fails... it WILL fail... one day.
Hopefully not both disks (master and mirror) on the same day. ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 08-29-2017 at 09:11 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Scot
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart80112 View Post
I don't think Scot meant lost (without the inverted commas).. he meant that they suddenly no longer work on the forum.
That's why he used the inverted commas... not really lost...just missing in action (on the forum)
:-)
That's correct..I was not referring to photos on your PC at all..Photos on your PC arent even part of this discussion! and yes, you would never delete the photos dfrom your PC, I never suggested anyone should.

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in