Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 102
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Garage
Exclamation Site Upgrade and New Look 9/21/2016

Hey Guys,

My name is Jeff, I am part of the development team.

Just wanted to give you a heads up; we are going to update the software here on 9/21/2016. Site will be down from around 9:30am to 1:00pm EST, maybe earlier. The update should only take 2 hours to complete and when it does you will be the first to know. In case there are any issues here are some things you can expect.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) Mobile Friendly.

The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views.

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) Welcome! We detailed and got a new paint job!

The homepage is bright, crisp and clean. We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in. We can also use this newly minted front page to showcase a Ride of the Month winner or other community related news and announcements.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which will be placed ON by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "SnowBlower Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Blower, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others.

5)Social Media Connect

Users will be able to register with Facebook meaning faster legitimate registrations.

6)We Want your Input!

We want to know what you like in an update (look and feel). What you think the community would get excited about and appreciate.
Do you want an updated, logo? A new skin theme color change? Maybe a preference in images included in the banner showing off multiple generations? Don't be Shy! We need this info ASAP!

Let me know if you have any concerns. I will be here to help with the transition and any issues there may be.

Thanks,
Jeff
Community Manager
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky, [email protected], Miles, YSHSfan, classiccat thanked for this post
Likes Hanky, stromr, uberT liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 145
Thanks for the heads up. Hope this is less pain full than the windows 10 switch was...Can not be any harder.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #3 of 57 Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Thanks for the FYI...

Hi Jeff,
If there is one thing I'd like to see changed it is the fact new members always want to post photos but can't until they post a few times, I thought it was 10, somebody said 15. As I remember it on our sister site, MyTractorForum.com there isn't a minimum post to access all features of the site.
These guys come on the site all enthused with their new snowblower or looking for help and they get discouraged quickly. It just doesn't seem like that's very welcoming to them.
Thanks,
Stromr
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
post #4 of 57 Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
Hi Jeff,
If there is one thing I'd like to see changed it is the fact new members always want to post photos but can't until they post a few times, I thought it was 10, somebody said 15. As I remember it on our sister site, MyTractorForum.com there isn't a minimum post to access all features of the site.
These guys come on the site all enthused with their new snowblower or looking for help and they get discouraged quickly. It just doesn't seem like that's very welcoming to them.
Thanks,
Stromr
I second Stromr on that point. I'm new and asked for opinion on blower and cannot post pics. Lost time and entousiasm to try to post pic and realised it's not possible.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes stromr liked this post
post #5 of 57 Old 09-21-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Let it snow

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Ok all just wrapping the updates.

@Pato
@stromr

You guys can use Drag and Drop or attached images to the site.

Jeff M
post #6 of 57 Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Let it snow

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Bump

Also what section do you guys want on the new homepage?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/

We can add a Snowblower Homepage news section and add articles and news on new makes and models.

Jeff M
post #7 of 57 Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Bump

Also what section do you guys want on the new homepage?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/

We can add a Snowblower Homepage news section and add articles and news on new makes and models.

Jeff M
YES! That would be way cool! New site looks great already! Thanks
post #8 of 57 Old 09-21-2016, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
New Look

Hey looks good so far. One problem is I have 4 computers, this is the only one that remembered my password. I have no clue what it is, and any attempts fail.

So how to re-new password?

Lost in the sea of old passwords
post #9 of 57 Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
The new site looks nice!

But one thing I'm not liking is how the "new posts" function now is a specific number of days, vs. the old one that would show new posts since I last visited. The old scheme suited my needs much better.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 57 Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
Well I just came on a few minutes ago. It sort of knocked me off my chair. I actually thought that there was a problem with the site. I hate to say it, but it is way... too confusing to look at. To much black and white and it makes it too complicated. Too business like. Too hard to search for things. I really do not see what was wrong with the way it was...

Also, (You still can not copy and paste a photo) to show everyone a photo. That should have been the number one area that was improved.

Also, speed has never been a problem for me.

(Sorry to be negative,) but to me, you just made it more difficult and too confusing to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page