What to use as a pictures host? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Lightbulb What to use as a pictures host?

I had made considerable progress on my "HSS1332ATD" build, and I'd like to make some updates to my first post, but I don't know what to use as a pictures host in order to have sequential pictures under each description.

Using links or attachments would not work for this.

I'd like to have the entire process description on my first post on that thread with a picture or two under each paragraph.

What is the best photo host currently...?

(I used to use photobucket, and it worked real well for this purpose, until it stopped working.....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
For the Forum, I use https://postimages.org/ Pics Upload Fast With No BS. Copy the link for "Forums", and paste in your thread here. Works Well For Me.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
photobucket works great. dont know about ads because i use adblock plus on google chrome which i HIGHLY recommend for any and all internet browsing with all the invasive/scam/autoredirect ads nowadays
post #4 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
photobucket works great.
You must have missed the recent (well, its been 2 months now) blow-up about photobucket. Photobucket does no longer work great! its dead and useless for photo hosting in posts, unless you want to pay photobucket $400 a year. Here is one of my webpages where I need to go through and re-upload all the photos:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/maps/index.html

there are thousands, millions, billions of dead photo links like that in webpages, blogs and forum posts all around the world..Here is the story:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/pho...-embedded-web/

Most people will never bother to fix their personal dead links..they will just remain broken forever. Here is my experience with photo hosting:

Originally, going back 15 years, I used imageshack for many years..
until my photos began to randomly disappear.. I did nothing to make the photos disappear..imageshack just randomly begins deleting your photos after a year or so..

so then I switched to photobucket..until my photos began to be held hostage for a month at a time because my traffic "exceeds bandwidth":

(this was years before the recent photobucket issue)
It was my Ariens snowblower page that was tripping the switch!

I had to wait a month for my photos to return..meanwhile my webpages are useless because the photo links are all dead..

You know the saying.."you get what you pay for"..pay nothing, get nothing..

So finally I wised-up and realized I need to pay for reliable service..after doing a lot of research, I picked smugmug:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com

http://www.smugmug.com

smugmug for unlimited photos + Github and google for my webpages = a perfect package. Smugmug is $40 a year, $3.33 a month, which I consider well worth it to no longer have photos hassles..

I paid $35 for my first year because I entered another users email when I signed up. I think if you enter my email address when you sign up, you can get $5 off.. if anyone is interested, try entering scotlawrence at gmail dot com for $5 off your first year.

So since i switched to smugmug, I have had no photos issues..
yeah, I pay for it, but its worth it. If my *entire* webpage collection:

www.scotlawrence.com

If I was still using photobucket, I would be screwed..I would have literally thousands of photo links to manually update and change..it would have taken forever..im glad I ditched photobucket years ago..I still have a few older pages that were never updated that do have some dead photobucket links now, but they are a tiny percentage of my overall webpage collection..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 09-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, YSHSfan liked this post
post #5 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
You must have missed the recent (well, its been 2 months now) blow-up about photobucket. Photobucket does no longer work great! its dead and useless for photo hosting in posts, unless you want to pay photobucket $400 a year.

Scot
I saw part of that thread. I just found out about the $400 a year.

I'm going to give GoogleDrive a try, I uploaded one picture on my "HSS1328ATD" thread and seems to work well so far. I'll update if changes happen.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
I'm going to give GoogleDrive a try, I uploaded one picture on my "HSS1328ATD" thread and seems to work well so far. I'll update if changes happen.
What thread is that? I would like to see how Google drive is working for that..

thanks,
Scot

post #7 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb

Quote:
What thread is that? I would like to see how Google drive is working for that..

thanks,
Scot
Here it is.
Let me know what you think as it is the first picture I upload through GoogleDrive

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...atd-build.html
post #8 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks..I was afraid of that, it doesnt work.
Here is what im seeing:

Google traditionally doesnt allow hotlinking from google photos or google drive, for the same reasons Photobucket recently killed all their hotlinked photos.

I have read that there are maybe ways around it, but google finds the tricks and shuts them down..You are probably seeing the photo when you go to that thread, because you are logged into your own google account on your PC, but I suspect no one else can see it..

I'll put a question in that post asking if anyone else can see the photo..

Scot

post #9 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Thanks..I was afraid of that, it doesnt work.

Scot
I guess it was too good to be true then....

Your theory is correct though as I can see the picture on the post.
I'm using a "free" account anyways, I'll look into the allowances with paid accounts and if reasonably price I'll likely give it a try....

This is what I see in my screen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (12210).png
Views:	26
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	109457  
post #10 of 19 Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb

Scot,

Is there a way that our forum could support what the following Yamaha Forum does?

Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club - Yamaha YS828T for sale in CT $1050

There you can upload the pictures from your PC directly to your text instead of as an attachment at the bottom.

Check the thread and you'll see that it seems to work better (much better I'd say, except for the occasional sideways picture which I think has happened to me here as well ) than the "attachments" on our forum at the bottom of the text (this is just my opinion).

This feature (if doable) would allow the making of detailed procedures followed by pictures on the very first post (is what I'd like to do on my "HSS1328ATD" thread).

Maybe there is a feature on this forum that allows to do this as well and I just don't know it...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page