Everyone loves a good equipment Flip for $$$$ - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 113
Everyone loves a good equipment Flip for $$$$

Hey guys i am sure some guys on here buy and sell equipment including snowblowers. Thought this would be a good thread for sharing what has been working for you what can you buy and sell in your area and pocket a little cash.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc

Last edited by Snowbelt_subie; 10-25-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll start backpack blowers have been hot for me within the last week I got 2 a br550 for $100 and an echo pb770t for $135. Sold both within a day for $275 each Just wiped them down and listed them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Quote:
Everyone loves a good Flip for $$$$
actually, I dont..
flipping can be very controversial..especially if the flipper does zero work to the item to "earn" a higher price.
Im a member of forums for three different hobbies:

1. Classic snowlowers and garden tractors.
2. G-scale model trains.
3. Vintage audio/strero equipment.

flipping is especially controversial in the audio hobby..
flippers are mostly looked down upon.

My sister and her husband had to move 10 years ago.
they had two horses they couldnt take to the new house, so they had to sell them.
they sold them to a husband and wife who *said* they would give them a good home..they did actually hav a farm. So because my sister and brother in law thought their horses were going to a good home, they sold them for a bargain price..the people then turned around and flipped the horses for a quick profit..which was their intention all along..those people are scum..

Sure, buying something that doesnt work, or needs work, fixing it up, then selling it for a higher price, is absolutely justified..because you made it more valuable than it was when you bought it! thats fine..thats not what im talking about. there are different kinds of flips.

So, just be aware..not everyone loves flippers. they can get a bad rap, depending the nature of the flip. In the vintage stereo hobby, flippers are loathed..people hate them.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 10-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
post #4 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
actually, I dont..
flipping can be very controversial..especially if the flipper does zero work to the item to "earn" a higher price.

2. G-scale model trains.

they had two horses they couldnt take to the new house, so they had to sell them.
they sold them to a husband and wife who *said* they would give them a good home..they did actually hav a farm. So because my sister and brother in law thought their horses were going to a good home, they sold them for a bargain price..the people then turned around and flipped the horses for a quick profit..which was their intention all along..those people are scum..

Sure, buying something that doesnt work, or needs work, fixing it up, then selling it for a higher price, is absolutely justified..because you made it more valuable than it was when you bought it! thats fine..thats not what im talking about. there are different kinds of flips.

So, just be aware..not everyone loves flippers. they can get a bad rap, depending the nature of the flip. In the vintage stereo hobby, flippers are loathed..people hate them.

Scot
hmm never really thought about it like that. i agree most of the things i get dont run or need fixing.... however if i come across a guy selling something i know is worth more why shouldn't i buy it and sell it at its true value?

i get paid because i know the marketplace and what things are bought and sold for in my area.

i see it no different than Pawn shops except what i am doing is better because i let the seller set the price i dont low-ball people when the bring items into a pawn shop.

both of these blowers i paid what the seller was advertising i didn't try to negotiate. i understand where your coming from though but it wont deter me from dong it or defending myself.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sscotsman, classiccat, micah68kj liked this post
post #5 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 44
I agree with Scott. It's a hard subject to talk about. When your on the receiving end of a bad sale turn flip because you sold something grossly under its value to give it a "good home". We all have also had things go the other direction and blow up in our face. Id be more interested to hear a story about those.

I had a few instances were I have shown something and a pulled the rope right out the recoil and a few times putting a load on the snow blower and the belt snaps. Sell something for parts or repair and they put in a new spark plug and change the gas and they don't understand why it wont start and want their money back.
post #6 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 139
Likes (Received): 116
yeah, tough subject to discuss. So my $0.02

- I see nothing wrong with flipping, it is simple free market action. Being dishonest, of course, is wrong, here and in all aspects of life.
- it really doesn't matter what your seller paid originally, if you are happy with what you are paying, then buy it. And everyone gets what they want.
- many retailers certainly increase the items value, like a snowblower dealership that assembles and readies the machine, then offers service too. But again, you can either pay their price or move on.
- the story of the horse sale is different, it involves emotional issues, and concern for another living being, which I can understand. And the flipper was deceitful.
- finally, it sounds like some audio enthusiasts are a bit pretentious, thinking they are somehow above reselling. That I don't really understand.

Again, just my thoughts, will be interesting to see how others feel.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128, oldackonoak liked this post
post #7 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
actually, I dont..

2. G-scale model trains.

Scot
with the horse story aside, in my mind, .........isnt what any retail store does essentially " flipping" ? they buy low, do nothing to the product, and sell for a much higher price. who buys with intention to sell and hopes to just break even ? if i bought a vintage piece of audio equipment for $5 at a yard sale because i thought it looked cool, and found out later it was worth $500.....would i sell it for $5 because thats what it cost me ? i dont think so.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #8 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Using the word "Flip" I don't do but I DO buy with intentions to repair and sell, YES I do it for profit and most times don't pay a lot but some know they have a decent machine and want it gone and don't really care about the money and I got there at the right time. But I repair these machines and sell them a fully functioning used snow blowers at a decent price even if I am making profit, I do it more because I enjoy working on these things and it's a hobby that I make some money at, I usually take the profits to buy more machines but I am now running out of room LOL I need a bigger garage LOL

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes oldackonoak liked this post
post #9 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
You just need to sell more
post #10 of 118 Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The more I think about it I don't know why it's a touchy subject or why anyone would have a problem with buying something at a one price do nothing to it and sell it for more.

If they can sell it for more why does it matter? Are the sellers mad that they sold it for less then they actually could get because they are impatient don't know the value or wanted it to go to a "good home".

We are talking about equipment I could care less what happens once I sell the thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page