LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 9
Carb Cleaner

Just tossing this out there for discussion. I live a small town in North Western Canada, and do not have access to many of the "chemicals" used by those in larger markets, or the US.
Other than carb cleaner, what do you use for soaking and cleaning carbs?
Also, how many use an Ultra sonic cleaner, and what is you success rate?
Yes, I know replacement carbs are cheap on E-Bay and Amazon (have bought a few), but I also have a several occasions where I cannot wait the shipping time (living in Canada can add a week or more).
I'm posting a picture of one very should be unrebuildable carb for attention...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	123122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	123130  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i dont bother cleaning them anymore. every since i found the 8-11.5hp flathead adjustable carbs for 7 bucks on ebay i just keep a few of each size on the shelf
post #3 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's successfully cleaned the 4 carbs I've tried. I use Simple Green HD (available at Home Depot), which in my experience does a great job of cleaning, but is supposed to safer for aluminum, vs regular Simple Green.

I have the cleaner heat the solution (it goes to around 140F), I run them for an hour or more, flipping the parts once if possible. I've only done a few, so the time spent in the cleaner is no big deal, vs the time spent putting them back together, only to find they're not quite clean yet. So I just let 'em clean for a while.

I've been very happy with it. I like the fact that I don't have to go poking in them with wire, etc, which could risk accidentally making a hole larger, etc. And there are no harsh chemicals to worry about.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I rebuild them for the satisfaction but can't disagree buying if you can buy them under $15, especially at under $10 on eBay.

I have used 3 different carb dip solutions, Berryman's, NAPA, and lacquer thinner. The NAPA smells, looks like it's going to do a better job than Berryman's but I think the Berryman has been more successful than NAPA. I've been using Berryman's for years, last sumer started with the NAPA. This summer I started using lacquer thinner but use it after I use one of the others.

If you want to be successful rebuilding carburetors, you need a carb dip.

If you want to be absolutely successful rebuilding carburetors, you need an ultrasonic cleaner.

I did a piece of rebuilding carbs, using different techniques, and an ultrasonic cleaner with real stories. Do a search under my name.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You can get an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight for about $80, less if you have a coupon, or it's on sale:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

A co-worker has one, he's had good luck with it.

I was fortunate enough to get a used Branson (more of a lab/commercial type unit) on eBay for just a little bit more. It's got a bigger tank, adjustable temperature, and can do up to a 90 minute cleaning cycle, I think, vs 7-minute cycles for the HF unit. I'm not trying to take anything away from the HF, just that you might get lucky finding a used machine. It's been worth it to me so far, it's done a great job.

They're practically magic, they clean the entire surface, even down inside nooks & crannies. My co-worker uses his for cleaning woodworking tools, including the chuck components for his lathe, with lots of little areas that are difficult to clean by hand. He says they come out great from the HF ultrasonic. But the cleaning solution that you use can make a big difference, I've had varying results with different solutions. The Simple Green HD has worked the best for me, and I can get it locally. But you can use a range of things, including just dish soap, depending on what you're trying to remove.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I picked this Berryman's last time I was in Michigan. Berryman 0996 Chem-Dip Carburetor and Part Cleaner - 0.75 Gallon | eBay
post #7 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 13
I use Berryman's in my Ultrasonic tank for tough stuff, diluted Simple Green for most others. Once oxidation has worn away the protective "skin" on die cast parts, like your carb shown, it is not worth rebuilding as the oxidation will return eventually, with that blasted white powder getting into every passageway. The newer Chinese stuff will get you out of a pinch, but it tends to oxidize over time faster than a genuine Tecumseh/Walbro Carb. I good used carb for 10 bucks plus a 5 dollar rebuild kit is the simplest solution, although E-Pay sellers think everything off an old engine is gold-plated. Remember when Carter #30 carbs were $250 if you could find an NOS one? Now the Chinese knockoffs are 25 bucks! My customers would rather put on a new carb each year, crazy as it sounds.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Have you had trouble with Berryman's in the ultrasonic? I've heard you shouldn't use flammable liquids (I assume Berryman's would qualify) in an ultrasonic cleaner, due to a risk of fire. I've never explored it myself, though a few times it's been tempting to try using cheap isopropyl alcohol to clean things.

To cut down on cleaner costs, and to reduce mess in the tank, I usually put my parts, and cleaner, in a small glass jar, like a salsa jar. I fill the rest of tank with water, until the water, and cleaner levels, are up to the Fill level on the tank. That way I use less cleaner, and the only thing I get dirty is the jar, but I avoid gunking up the rest of the tank, even if it's something messy. It would also allow using 2 different cleaners in 1 session, I suppose.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
The problem with Berryman's is you can't leave a carb overnight as it turns the aluminum gray. I prefer 4 hrs maximum. It doesn't seem to be an explosive chemical. I've had no problems using it in ultrasonic cleaner.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 17 Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
Boiling a carb on the stove in water and lemon juice is supposed to work well and costs almost nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page