LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 9
Fuel

I am curious about the problems that many face with "Ethanol" in gas.
In British Columbia (part of Canada for those who've never been here) we have had Ethanol blended fuels for many years (2009 or so), and it is almost impossible to find a non ethanol blend anywhere.
We run it in small equipment, motor cycles, sleds and all other "gas" powered things.
I have not had an issue with fuel in any of my mowers, lawn tractors or snow blowers, as long as I remember to use a fuel stabilizer. I try and drain these machines at the end of the season, but again, I'm human and forget, and to date I have not had any of my equipment gummed up.
Now I am aware of others who won't/don't use stabilizer, and yes I have seen crudded up carbs. That being said, I have seen more "dirty carbs" due to "dirty fuel", from dirty gas cans and such.
I'm wondering if it is a refinery or blend problem, but to be honest, when there are fuel price increases, our suppliers in Canada always say it is due to refinery issues and supply in the USA...
Is the ethanol blend fuel as big an issue as some perceive, or is it more those who/whom don't spend the extra, or just "forget" stabilizer who have issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 87
Never been an issue for me.... it is as you stated ...
post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I would imagine carb issues are the most common repair at the OPE dealer. For the price of Marine Stabil or Star Tron it's not worth the risk of experimenting. It's a relatively cheap insurance policy. I always add it to the gas can right after buying, whether I'm going to use the gas in a month or in 6 months.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I don't find any refinery issues in the U.S. with our gas. The problems I see as I fix others mowers and blowers is old stale gas or water in the gas. Water in the gas, rusty carbs, many times are from being left outside or under a tarp.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 52
There are 105 gas stations in BC that sell ethanol-free fuel (E0). I have heard (you’ll need to verify) that Shell’s premium fuel in Canada (but not US) is also E0.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=BC
post #6 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
No non-ethanol gas here either. Is it a problem? No, as long as you stabilize, run the equipment dry and keep the gas reasonably fresh. It's just extra maintenance but nothing you probably should do no matter what fuel you have.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
There are 105 gas stations in BC that sell ethanol-free fuel (E0). I have heard (you’ll need to verify) that Shell’s premium fuel in Canada (but not US) is also E0.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=BC
Unfortunately this site is very out of date, at least for BC. Not sure about elsewhere, but at $1.19 to $1.479 a liter (1/4 gallon) or more, many worry more about price than ethanol.

Last edited by 3vanman; 01-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 8
For anybody wanting ethanol free fuel, try your local General Aviation Airport. In the Unites States it will be 100LL. I am not sure what is available in Canada but I suspect it is the same. The octane is higher than needed but since you will probably be running the RPM's in the upper range you shouldn't have a problem with the lead. It will not absorb water, it will never go bad and it does not need treatment. It will be pricey but you do not have to use it all season if you don't want to. Just use it at the end of the season for a couple of tankfulls to purge the system of the regular gas.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
Back when they first made the switched the ethanol ate threw all the rubber on the older machines. It was kind of a hay day for finding good deals on craigslist.
Now the the ethanol laced stuff doesn't keep nearly as long as straight gasoline used to. Some folks are slower to figuring that out than others...

Bung hole deep to a tall whiskey barrel.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page