post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
Milkhouse heater settings

I store my snowblower in a unheated shed. I do have electrical outlets in the shed, but no insulation so it wouldn't make sense to try and heat up the place.

For some time, I've been using a heater commonly called a Milkhouse Heater to melt the snow & ice in my blower's auger so it doesn't seize. After use, I place it right in front of the blower, very close to the auger and leave it running for a few hours, or until the next morning. Works pretty well, all snow/ice is melted down and dry in the auger and the chute by then.

My question is : most heaters of the so-called milkhouse model have two settings : 1300W and 1500W. Anybody knows why so little difference between these settings ? Only 200W...

I'm used to see small heaters with a 750/1500W settings, the highest being double the lowest. Using the low setting allows to put two such heaters for example in different rooms that are on the same 15A breaker.

The milkhouse's lower 1300W settings doesn't allow that, drawing a bit over 10A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
A 60 watt bulb and a tarp will do the job. If you can still find an incandescent.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
A 60 watt bulb and a tarp will do the job. If you can still find an incandescent.
I Got a bunch of those bulbs laying around here.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
My question is why are these heaters 1300/1500W instead of 750/1500W ? Doesn't seem to make much sense to have two settings with such little power difference.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by broo View Post
My question is why are these heaters 1300/1500W instead of 750/1500W ? Doesn't seem to make much sense to have two settings with such little power difference.
I know, I was just trying to save you some money in electric.

The answer to that is simple.

There are two elements. The manufacturer chose to put in the wattages they did. The only way to know the answer is to ask the accountants and engineers who were involved with the design of the product.

Could be the 200 watt element was supposed to be 500 watt, and they just said screw it and used them.

Could be 200 watt elements were dirt cheap/discontinued from a factory.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I Got a bunch of those bulbs laying around here.
Start taking orders.

Can you imagine what incandescent lights for cars will be worth for people who want to do a correct factory restoration? I may start hoarding them. I have a small collection that may get bigger.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Possibly, but most milkhouse heaters models from various manufacturers are 1300/1500 too. I was thinking that maybe there is a historical reason for this, such as old milkhouses had fuses for around 10A while modern breakers are 15A ? I couldn't find a definitive answer.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
I have a Patton brand - it says it's settings are 1,000 watts and 1,500 watts. I use it on my counter in the garage to keep warm but it's kinda useless in a big space like that.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by broo View Post
Possibly, but most milkhouse heaters models from various manufacturers are 1300/1500 too. I was thinking that maybe there is a historical reason for this, such as old milkhouses had fuses for around 10A while modern breakers are 15A ? I couldn't find a definitive answer.
AHHHHH now I get it. Hmmm.... good question. Interesting. Now i'll have to go google it, see if I can come up with something.

I didn't know that about Milkhouse Heaters. Every day I learn something. Despite what I tell my wife, I don't know everything.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I've searched Milkhouse Heaters, and you're right, it's 1300 and 1500. Interesting. WHY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page