wheel barrow tire replacement...grrrrrr !!!! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
wheel barrow tire replacement...grrrrrr !!!!

anyone have any tips for getting a new tubeless wheel barrow tire to seat on the rim ? i tried the rope deal....not even close to working. i now have some foam blocks spreading the tire , hoping it will open up some. really dont want to do the ether thing or try a tire cannon ......the rim is plastic. cant even replace it with one of those airless jobs as the rim is not mounted the same way. would hate to trash this barrow as its perfect for my usage .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
I've had good luck with the "rope trick".

Are you using a compressor and did you removed the valve stem core so that the air rushes in faster?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
I was going to ask about a compressor as well. Good idea with removing the valve stem!

I'm assuming the rope trick is wrapping it around the contact-surface of the tire? I've never used a rope, but have had good luck with a ratchet strap. You can crank them really tight, if the rope can't pull tightly enough.

Rubbing alcohol (IPA) or soapy water might help the tire's bead slide onto the rim more easily.

Also, in a pinch, you could maybe use an inner tube, to avoid having to deal with seating the bead.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
yep..using a little 3 gallon pancake compressor..just cant get the bead anywhere close to the rim in spots. good tip on the valve stem removal. i was using a dog leash to spread the tire, but all that did was deform the bead. may have to say uncle on this one and return the tire and buy a tube for the old weather cracked tire.

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

post #5 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
I've never tried using air to help seat a bead. The last tire I did was before getting my compressor.

With a short hose, high pressure, and the valve stem removed, perhaps you could get enough "puff" to get it on? Besides things like flammable gas, I'm not sure of other tricks to get the bead to seat onto the rim. And the flammable-stuff approach makes me nervous.

The tires that I re-seated had already been on the tractor, so I wasn't dealing with deformed beads, at least.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 22 Old 05-05-2018, 08:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
Plastic wheels leak! Period! No, exclamation mark!

Put a tube in it.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Likes SayItAintSnow liked this post
post #7 of 22 Old 05-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118
To start, I would second that idea of dropping a tube into that tire, as "JL" suggested above, even though it is new, or return it, and put the old one back on with a tube. Never been much of a believer in plastic rims.

Here's a little trick I used just yesterday on my old Scott's lawn tractor. I could not get the bead to pop in on one side of the tire for love nor money. The tire does have a tube in it however.

So, I deflated the tire sufficiently to be able to get my finger in between the bead and where it supposed to sit on the wheel. I slathered cooking oil over both surfaces until it was a slippery mess.

I then positioned the tractor in the Sun so the tire would warm up for an hour or so. (Make sure the tire sidewall is nice and clean. The blacker the surface the more heat it will absorb). Then I re-inflated the tire to just under maximum pressure.

Then I drove the tractor around over some rough terrain where the tire would be subjected to various types of compression and distortion, which would affect its shape. Within about two minutes of that, I heard the bead pop, (even over the sound of the engine), and sure enough, the tire was seated properly.

This worked, partially because the tractor is heavy and will distort the tire over bumpy surfaces. Remember, even though sometimes they can be a real sob, that tire really wants to sit on the rim properly, but occasionally they take a little "convincing".

You might be able to do something similar, but make sure you've got some weight in the wheelbarrow like a couple of cinder blocks or something. Then just keep going over the bumpy terrain and maybe you'll get lucky.

The worst that can happen is that you'll get a little tired, and of course, if your neighbors see you running around the yard in circles with the cinder blocks they'll probably laugh at you, but most of us here are snowblower collectors, and we're used to that ....

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #8 of 22 Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 283

x2 on the ratchet strap method

1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
1983 Craftsman FF20 plow tractor
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 22 Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
+1 on the ratchet strap. I think you just need a bigger reservoir. I have something slightly bigger than a pancake pump and then a 20 gallon. If I have a bead off the rim it's night and day trying to re-seat it with that little portable compared to the 20 gallon. The problem is you just don't have enough volume and pressure with a little compressor reservoir.
Any chance you have a repair shop near you that has a "free" hose hooked up to their big shop compressor or a friendly mechanic willing to give it a shot ?? I say "free" hose as compared to one that's at a box for a quarter as they usually are the same as my little guy or your pancake compressor if that.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 22 Old 05-06-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
gave it another try this morning......still a no go, so took the tire back, got a tube .

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page