Any recommendations for a high quality garden hose? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
Any recommendations for a high quality garden hose?

I have 2 50ft Craftsman premium rubber hoses that were purchased back in the late 80's and were combined to make a 100ft hose, used in the back yard.
Still soft, non kink, no cracks, lifetime warranty, but I now need 1 or 2 more for the front yard.

The Craftsman premium rubber hoses available now, only have a 90 day warranty and are not even close to the same quality.
As I understand it, it was just a couple years ago when Sears cheapened the product.
Perhaps I should just keep an eye out for a NOS hose on eBay. They show up from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 06:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
I have been using Flexogen hoses, and they come with a lifetime warranty. They seem to work very well.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
We got a lifetime hose at Home Depot several years ago. What I don't like about it, it's very stiff, summer or winter, same stiffness.

For watering the lawn I have several hoses that I've picked up of the curb so they stay on the lawn in the layout I chose. They are attached to a brass manifold at the faucet so I can choose which section of the lawn I'm watering with the turn of a knob.

For watering the plants, for two years now, I've been using a 50' TV stainless flex hose. Wonderful! Never hot on the hands.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
It's odd that this subject was just discussed in detail on another Forum . . . . and luckily my opinion hasn't changed since then:

A few years back, I sought to buy another good quality hose to supplement that 46 year old green rubber hose (whose brand name I never memorized) and I bought one of these 6 Ply " X 100' Rubber Gilmour Commercial Hoses at about 66 a foot :

It's yet to prove itself; but after about 5 years, it looks like I made a good choice, and I'm now sure that it will outlive me !
post #5 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1094
FLEXZILLA makes a decent hose.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 880
Likes (Received): 207
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
FLEXZILLA makes a decent hose.
I have used their air hoses at work, great products. I didn't know they made garden hose also! Thanks for the info! $24.99 after rebate at Menards right now until June 10. Good price, lifetime warranty.

Last edited by gibbs296; 06-02-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added menards info
post #7 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 880
Likes (Received): 207
Garage
But if you are looking for a hose that works as a tow strap too, well.... there is the Brass Bullet...https://www.brassbullethose.com/?uid...F51B19C5DFCC38
post #8 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1094
They also make Extension Cords.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
post #9 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118
This is pretty timely.....and I appreciate the recommendations on hoses, as I need to pick up a couple soon.

One thing I have learned, is to never buy any more hoses from Harbor Freight. I bought two of them late last summer because they "looked good" and were on sale. Nice rugged brass fittings, and spring coil strain relief on the female end to take stress off the connector at the spigot. But.........

I've already tossed one of them in the trash, and the remaining one is not far behind. These *)*##% things would kink if they were laying on the ground in a 2 mph breeze! Also, once the temperature drops below 60, these things are not so much hoses as they are rigid plastic pipes! Horrible quality!

With regard to Russkat, and the limited 90 day warranty from Sears, I can tell you from experience that a warranty with Sears today is virtually worthless. Sears is not the store they used be, by any means, which is why they are closing so many. In trying to get a replacement part for a stainless steel grill, that had 9 years left on a 10 year burner warranty, they kept me on the phone for well over an hour, passing me from one English language challenged customer svc. person to the next, and still refused to replace the part. I have no doubt if I hadn't just given up, they would have continued to "run me 'round the barn" for another four hours, or whatever it took, until I gave up.

The wife and I when we were first married 40 years ago, used to buy everything from Sears. Now we buy absolutely nothing.

RIP Sears......

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, Grunt, classiccat, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 21 Old 06-02-2018, 11:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 246
Don't get them from COSTCO either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page