LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Question IDEA'S on these things????????

We have a real nasty Infestation of these BLOODY THINGS this year here in the Paradise City. I have seen traps hanging from trees to catch these things. been going FULL BORE on with the TRIAZICIDE also. anybody here have and Idea's on how to Lay these BLOODY THINGS TO REST. Some of The IRIS'S are making a return trip back. and these nasty things have been having a field day on them. I have picked them off by hand and squeezed the living daylights oot of them.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Dreaded Japaneese Beetles

Try not to squeeze them as they leave a smell (pheromone) that will attract others. Take a bowl of some sort with an inch or two of water and a few drops of soap. Knock them into the water and they will drown. Let them sit for a few hours or overnight and then toss them out into the street and start over.
I've been drowning them and spraying but I'm still infested with the little critters. They'll eat almost anything green and they strip the leaf down to the stem. Soon they'll be dropping down into the ground and laying eggs for next year. That's when it's time for a good grub killer application.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	146167  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #3 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 118
PS93:

Although a lot of garden beetle pests look very similar, and the image is rather small, that sure looks like your basic Japanese beetle.

Although around here in New England, these pests are present every summer, there seems to be some type of cycle where every few years there will be a summer when their numbers increase exponentially. I recall as a kid a few bad years and trying to hunt them down in my grandmother's vegetable garden so she wouldn't lose everything. We literally picked them off by hand and dropped them into a jar of kerosene. They die pretty quick in that....

A few years back, we had a large population of Asiatic Garden beetles which look very similar, and also do tremendous damage. Local retailers were pushing the "Bag-a-bug" products to combat them, but in reality they were very ineffective, since the lure they use, attracts Japanese beetles. One night, on the back patio, we had the patio lights on and I noticed hundreds of them attached to the screens. Unlike Japanese beetles they were attracted to light. Out came the jumbo black light bug zapper I still had from the 70's, which worked really well.

The good news is there's a three pronged approach you can take to minimize the damage of these little sob's, but you need to act quickly:

1) Spectracide makes a spray specifically for Japanese beetles. Hit your plants that you are trying to protect with this as your first line of defense.
2) Spectracide also makes a bag-bug-product that works pretty well using a scented lure. Deploy a few of those in your yard ---BUT--- don't put them near your gardens!! Put them as far away from your flowers as possible....(preferably in your neighbors yard....), because the scent will attract them wherever you place the traps. Also, it is best to hang these no higher than 3 feet above the ground. Your neighbors hanging them from trees may be reducing the effectiveness by hanging them too high. I've seen people dump out full bags of dead beetles from these things, which are reusable if you just replace the waxy cake with the luring scent.
3) Go out there as you have been doing, and pick the little *#*$&%& off and drop them into some kerosene or any kind of distillates.

The above process should help you save your plants unless it is such a large infestation, in which case they will devour everything (including some leaves on some types of trees) before you can stop them. Such an infestation can only be dealt with by aerial spraying.

Edited to add: Kiss4afrog raised a real good point about breaking the cycle. Grub control products used on your lawn can go a long way to reduce not only their numbers when they are in the larval stage and eating the roots of your lawn, but prevent a big share of them from ever becoming mature insects next summer. These things can be a real PITA.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood

Last edited by SayItAintSnow; 08-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-11-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSnow View Post
PS93:

Although a lot of garden beetle pests look very similar, and the image is rather small, that sure looks like your basic Japanese beetle.

Although around here in New England, these pests are present every summer, there seems to be some type of cycle where every few years there will be a summer when their numbers increase exponentially. I recall as a kid a few bad years and trying to hunt them down in my grandmother's vegetable garden so she wouldn't lose everything. We literally picked them off by hand and dropped them into a jar of kerosene. They die pretty quick in that....

A few years back, we had a large population of Asiatic Garden beetles which look very similar, and also do tremendous damage. Local retailers were pushing the "Bag-a-bug" products to combat them, but in reality they were very ineffective, since the lure they use, attracts Japanese beetles. One night, on the back patio, we had the patio lights on and I noticed hundreds of them attached to the screens. Unlike Japanese beetles they were attracted to light. Out came the jumbo black light bug zapper I still had from the 70's, which worked really well.

The good news is there's a three pronged approach you can take to minimize the damage of these little sob's, but you need to act quickly:

1) Spectracide makes a spray specifically for Japanese beetles. Hit your plants that you are trying to protect with this as your first line of defense.
2) Spectracide also makes a bag-bug-product that works pretty well using a scented lure. Deploy a few of those in your yard ---BUT--- don't put them near your gardens!! Put them as far away from your flowers as possible....(preferably in your neighbors yard....), because the scent will attract them wherever you place the traps. Also, it is best to hang these no higher than 3 feet above the ground. Your neighbors hanging them from trees may be reducing the effectiveness by hanging them too high. I've seen people dump out full bags of dead beetles from these things, which are reusable if you just replace the waxy cake with the luring scent.
3) Go out there as you have been doing, and pick the little *#*$&%& off and drop them into some kerosene or any kind of distillates.

The above process should help you save your plants unless it is such a large infestation, in which case they will devour everything (including some leaves on some types of trees) before you can stop them. Such an infestation can only be dealt with by aerial spraying.

Edited to add: Kiss4afrog raised a real good point about breaking the cycle. Grub control products used on your lawn can go a long way to reduce not only their numbers when they are in the larval stage and eating the roots of your lawn, but prevent a big share of them from ever becoming mature insects next summer. These things can be a real PITA.

Every year I lay down TRIAZICIDE on the weed pile oot front and in the whole back yard. I was oot on the deck and watched them fly in from where ever. I got neighbors north, south, east and west that don't do anything like laying down bug killer on their yards. because they are to worried it might do in FLUFFY OR FIDO Stupid TREE HUGGING HIPPEES . Every spring when I am a digging away oot back and I find 1 of those grubs I squish the living daylights oot of it. use to drop them in a big glass jar and leave them oot in the sun to burn up that was fun doing that. I sprayed the Pumpkins, squash, Collard greens they were going to town on them and sunflowers. they left the MATERS Alone. went after the Petunias and now with some of the IRIS Plants reblooming they are having a field day on them. sprayed those down good to.. IT IS BLOODY FREAKING MADDING I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-11-2018, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
Hey Todd,
Scoot over to Menards and get some of those Spectracide japanese beetle bag traps. Hang them around and put a couple pebbles in the bottom to stabilize them. The traps work great. Keep thme dow around 3-4 ft and away from your garden.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 13 Old 08-12-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Hey Todd,
Scoot over to Menards and get some of those Spectracide japanese beetle bag traps. Hang them around and put a couple pebbles in the bottom to stabilize them. The traps work great. Keep them down around 3-4 ft and away from your garden.
You mean to tell me they have Menards down there in the Sticks also?????

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 117
Likes (Received): 101
I guess I may be a tree huggin hippie, but I don't spray any poisons around the veggie garden. These pests are a pain, but a little hand picking and brushing of the plants each day keeps them at bay.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
I guess I may be a tree huggin hippie, but I don't spray any poisons around the veggie garden. These pests are a pain, but a little hand picking and brushing of the plants each day keeps them at bay.
The Rate these things are Raining in here. I would have to stand guard just aboot 24 HRS A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 12
Have you tried chickens? I'm not a tree hugger but I am lazy. If I can get something else to do the work for me I'm happy. Chickens love the little buggers and you get cheap eggs and free fertilizer. Just give them free reign in the garden.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You mean to tell me they have Menards down there in the Sticks also?????
No, Todd but I often visit my brother in St. Paul. Been to Menards lots of times.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page